Author Topic: Shields' Body Armor Skill  (Read 3920 times)

Offline uJuKi

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • Codename 47
    • View Profile
Shields' Body Armor Skill
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:18:57 pm »
Ex:
Elite Cavalry Shield
weight: 5.5
BODY ARMOR : 32
difficulty: 4
hit points: 250
speed rating: 100
shield width: 32

I want to learn what is it for?
it gives body armor when it is in the left hand or at the back ?

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
Re: Shields' Body Armor Skill
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »
It is the body armor of the shield. It works as a normal person`s body armor.

That shield can take as much damage as a person with 250 hp and 32 body armor.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 02:42:30 pm »
That stat is the armor of the shield. The shield is it's own entity with it's own hitpoint/armor, when damage exceeds hitpoints the shield breaks much in the same way you die when damage exceeds your hitpoints. The body armor is how much damage resistance shield has.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:20 pm »
When the shield is on your back, it's also Body armor + 10 to projectiles aimed at the shield, so you could go in heavy armor with a shield on your back and just backpedal to archers and you'll take no damage, unless they shoot you in the legs or anywhere that the shield doesn't cover.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:50:14 pm »
Here's a question:

Do blunt and pierce weapons more easily bypass the armor of the shield, like they do with normal body armor?

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »
Here's a question:

Do blunt and pierce weapons more easily bypass the armor of the shield, like they do with normal body armor?

I cannot confirm, but based on experience I believe the answer is no. It seems to take just as many pick swings as it does sword swings to break a shield. 
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 09:09:56 pm »
Axes, though, avoid some portion of a shield's armour I think.  I find a knightly heater shield often takes more cutting blows than a brown lion, but a brown lion takes more blows from an axe than a knightly heater.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:22:02 pm »
Axes, though, avoid some portion of a shield's armour I think.  I find a knightly heater shield often takes more cutting blows than a brown lion, but a brown lion takes more blows from an axe than a knightly heater.
I think it's simply that axes do double the damage to shields, so they effectively overpower the shield's armor with very large blows that armor can reduce only so much.  The result is as you described it: high HP is better against shield breaking weapons, high armor is best against regular.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 01:10:22 am »
When the shield is on your back, it's also Body armor + 10 to projectiles aimed at the shield, so you could go in heavy armor with a shield on your back and just backpedal to archers and you'll take no damage, unless they shoot you in the legs or anywhere that the shield doesn't cover.
Not correct it adds the [shield armour+ 10] to your body armour if you are hit in the shield by a projectile.
Example. You got 50 body armour and a shield with 15 shield armour on your back. An arrow hit it and your total armour is 50+15+10=75 armour.

About axes:
Axes do double damage to shields. Don't remember if this is before or after the the bonuses from PS and STR, but I believe it to be only the raw damage of the weapon (so even better).

About armour calculation and damage types. I'm actually unsure about this. The obvious answer is that it's the same as for normal armour (blunt/piercce bypassing more armour) but that really ought to be the other way around for shields. Could a dev or someone who knows answer this? It would be nice to have another damage reduction calculation for shields were cut is the most effective, then blunt and then pierce.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 01:21:52 am »
you could test that pretty usually i think.

Find someone with a hurscarl.

Find someone with a morningstar and a two-handed war axe. (38 pierce vs 40 cut damage, pretty even)

Go on a duel server and destroy the same shield with both weapon. Using the same swing without moving.

See if one weapon clearly take less swing to destroy the shield.

Repeat as necessary until you clearly see a major difference.

:wink:

A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 01:24:50 am »

Confirmed by cmp that Bonus against Shields gives 100% bonus against shields, and 10% against construction things.  :D
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline uJuKi

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Codename 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 02:43:08 am »
Guys we tested and shield only gives body armor when it is on the back and only for arrows not swords.. legs r not covered by the shield and when you get shot from your legs you cannot benefit from shield body armor.
ty.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 02:45:04 am »
Not correct it adds the [shield armour+ 10] to your body armour if you are hit in the shield by a projectile.
Example. You got 50 body armour and a shield with 15 shield armour on your back. An arrow hit it and your total armour is 50+15+10=75 armour.

Yes, that's what I was saying, just phrased differently because the armor on shields is also called body armor.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 02:48:02 am »
Guys we tested and shield only gives body armor when it is on the back and only for arrows not swords.. legs r not covered by the shield and when you get shot from your legs you cannot benefit from shield body armor.
ty.
???

Didn't I mention this? Also, not only arrows, but bolts and throwing weapons too. Any projectile, really...maybe not catapult boulder, though.

And yes, it has to hit the shield. Obvious stuff is obvious.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline uJuKi

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Codename 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 02:50:59 am »
???

Didn't I mention this? Also, not only arrows, but bolts and throwing weapons too. Any projectile, really...maybe not catapult boulder, though.

And yes, it has to hit the shield. Obvious stuff is obvious.

yeah yeah i mean all ranged weapons by arrows