Author Topic: Experience in strategus battles  (Read 10277 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Experience in strategus battles
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »
So no matter how I turn this problem, I can't figure out a solution to this problem.

With the latest price increase in strategus, and xp being dependent on equipment, xp was - not intendedly - nerfed heavily.

But I must say I don't really like the way you get XP right now anyway.

So maybe someone can give me some input - what should the XP in strategus battles be based on.

Remember to take the following into consideration:
Not Abuseable,
higher than spending the same time on a battle server,
should be the same for either everyone or everyone of your team,
should maybe not discourage fighting in small battles

So if you have a genious idea, shoot :P

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
Re: Experience in strategus battles
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:03:29 pm »
Old system was good except that you could win ridiculous amount of xp in big battle (remember pub crawl) and you won few in small battle.
Xp gain should have a time factor, sometimes you can wait many minutes behind shield wall before anyone attack.
But if it's only based on time, some could delay and abuse time to win more xp...

The xp gain should be set before the battle, the amount could depends on numbers of troops involved and on difference between gears (you should win more xp if you have crapiest gear than your opponent), and on terrain advantage (castle are easier to defend so you could win less xp)
This xp gain could be doubled if you win the battle, tripled if you take enemy spawn.
With this system, a hired mercs would know how much xp he would gain if he lose or win a battle before applying.

(The formula might be hard to set but i know you are a fucking good coder!)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:54 pm »
Well if a high priority objective is prevent abuse than any other way (through battle duraction, or kills) and people could setup a battle and either string it out for extra xp, or come in naked and beat each other with fists for free "kill xp".

In current strat balance the only variable that people really value is gear, and that isn't exploitable because people wouldn't fake kill each other in decent gear.

Seems like the only way is to adjust values to reflect current prices so people get decent exp again even using lower tier gear.

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »
+4
You could just have xp every minute ala the battle server.

First 10 minutes x5
Second 10 minutes x4
Third 10 minutes x3
Forth 10 minutes x2
After that x1

That way small battles still get decent xp, and long battles can get more, up to a certain point, then it drops off, to discourage people dragging it out.

Seems like the simplest way to go about it.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »
That way small battles still get decent xp, and long battles can get more, up to a certain point, then it drops off, to discourage people dragging it out.

Except it encourage quitting server

The idea is fine but I would make it less steep.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »
Why not amalgamate it between strat 1's and current battle

Everyone gets a constant x2 multi(the average of someone playing on battle) and you get a bonus based on kills and the others level. So, if 1 team hires level 30s only and the other team is 29's then for the same kills, the team with level 29's would get more xp because they'd be killing higher level opponents. The kill bonus shouldn't be much, maybe for a level 35 150 extra xp per death MAX. Perhaps have a gear bonus too. So you get xp for three things, playing, what level the enemy is, and what they wear.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:19:50 pm »
Just make it exactly like the battle server except you always get 2x. People like fighting in strat battles even with shitty XP, because they are just more fun. There really isn't any need at all to make it based on anything complicated.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:45 pm »
+2
increase the rate you earn strat gold when you fight in strat battles!!
Leader of BS

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:29 pm »
What about a progressive gain for xp? The further into the battle the more XP you get each/every ticket/minute/10 tickets. With a limit cap of course.

That way, you will be encouraged to organize during the first periods of the battle and play with more tactic in mind, instead of the mindless charges into defenders camp and etc. However, the downside to this is that it could lead to camping - from both sides.

But on the other hand, when it reaches those highly rewarding stages, people will really try and make a difference to help their respective team.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Rikthor

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOARD Clan
  • Game nicks: Historian_Rikthorrr
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
What about a progressive gain for xp? The further into the battle the more XP you get each/every ticket/minute/10 tickets. With a limit cap of course.

That way, you will be encouraged to organize during the first periods of the battle and play with more tactic in mind, instead of the mindless charges into defenders camp and etc. However, the downside to this is that it could lead to camping - from both sides.

But on the other hand, when it reaches those highly rewarding stages, people will really try and make a difference to help their respective team.

The only problem with this Bjord is it can be abused rather easily by people turtling up and trying to milk the gains, as opposed to attacking the whole time. The way SPQR nominated would be a way to handle this issue, though.
Quote from: chadz
No matter how long you guys cry - I will not give in to dumbing strategus down because some people just want battles. If all you want are battles, then play cRPG, not strat. There are other people who like advanced gameplay.

Trolololololol

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 08:49:38 pm »
+1
Or something like the old siege system. preset min/max xp for attackers and defenders while the attackers lose xp over time and defenders gain it.
the problem is that you need two variables for xp and battle duration based on the size of the armies.

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »

First 10 minutes x5
Second 10 minutes x4
Third 10 minutes x3
Forth 10 minutes x2
After that x1

This.

Also please (if it is possible) increase limits for payments from 1000  crpg gold to at least 3000 because crpg gold is now easily accumulated and u can make 10k gold in 30 minutes in cheap gear if u re lucky. So 1000 gold pay is not enough to make good players fight for your side.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 08:55:14 pm »
+2
For a quick fix:
I say give it a solid xp/minute like crpg has. It can't really be abused because you set a timer on strat battles(and where it can be abused, my more complex system has a fix for that). If they could last for 4 hours, maybe it would be an issue. Just give everyone a 3x multi every minute for the duration of the battle. This also doesn't discourage smaller battles by making them less efficient for exp. Of course you still get more xp for large battles, but it's directly proportional to time spent fighting. I see this as being a "quick fix" to the problem that is much better than where we are now and doesn't really have many downsides.

The better, more complex system:
Alternatively you could make this system a bit more dynamic by having it possibly look at the the number of kills scored over the previous minute. Have say a 4K xp as your base/minute and scale it to the ratio of your teams kills:death ratio. So if you killed 2x as many as you lost you'd get 8Kxp/tic while the team with a 1:2 ratio would get 2K xp/tic. This I feel is more balanced and reward driven. Furthermore, to keep this system from being abused by small battles, have the system only look at kills that happened since the last tic of xp. Further still, set a minimum requirement of kills per total troop count: total troops*.15 or kills >=15. This makes it so that in small battles or when large battles start to slow down and a team only has 50 troops you'd only need to kill 7 troops to get the bonus. This should ensure balance for both small and large battles.

Edit: One could also reduce the penalty for having a negative K:D which might help encourage mercs to sign up for battles that seem hopeless. You could do this by either removing the penalty altogether(This might be the best idea) or K:D*((1 - K:D) +1). So if you have a 1:2 K:D for the team, instead of getting 4K XP *1/2 you get 4K XP *3/4. If you have a .8 KD you get 4K*0.96.

Edit 2: It's probably a good idea to keep the XP base multiplier based rather than some arbitrary static number. This ensures that -everyone- gets more xp than they would if they were on a battle server. Remember, gen bonus gives some people 1.5x more xp than others. So where I say "4K XP" it might be best to change that amount to whatever a 3x multi would be.

First 10 minutes x5
Second 10 minutes x4
Third 10 minutes x3
Forth 10 minutes x2
After that x1

This system discourages large battles and siege battles. I'd have to have this system while taking a castle/town
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:11:58 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 09:11:35 pm »
This system discourages large battles and siege battles. I'd have to have this system while taking a castle/town

I don't think so. The people planning the battle/seige are gonna do it regardless of xp because that is not their primary motivation and I think people will sign up for it as a guaranteed 120,000+ xp.
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 09:14:00 pm »
I don't think so. The people planning the battle/seige are gonna do it regardless of xp because that is not their primary motivation and I think people will sign up for it as a guaranteed 120,000+ xp.
120K xp for an hours worth of playing, I can get than in 30 minutes playing in battle. 7500 XP per minute on a 5x for two rounds and that's already half of that 120K xp.

Edit: Your system could work, sure, but you'd have to bring over the gen bonus from crpg or it won't be equally beneficial for everyone.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:15:31 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character