Author Topic: Damage type balance  (Read 828 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2046
  • Infamy: 2357
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Damage type balance
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:45 pm »
Could you, somehow, buff cut damage or tone down blunt and especially pierce damage?

Cause right now, many people have lordly body armor and gloves which means that average armor is around 45. Also pierce/blunt weapons get the same modifier as cut thefore making them even stronger. Plus 3 cut damage isn't big deal but plus 3 pierce is a huge bonus.

Blunt is inefficient against low armor so it's not really OP but pierce is great against everything and that's a problem imho.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Damage type balance
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:54:58 pm »
I'd like to see some more interesting modifiers added for each damage type, so each type has pros/cons. Some ideas:

-Blunt damage to head has 100% knockdown chance, but has a damage penalty vs light armor
-Pierce thrusts stop people in their tracks (like polearm thrusts do to horses), but have a chance to get 'stuck" in people (i.e. you lose an attack turn)
-Cut has a chance to cause a 'bleed' effect (damage over time), but has higher chance to glance on heavy armor

...etc.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:59:32 pm »
Could you, somehow, buff cut damage or tone down blunt and especially pierce damage?

Cause right now, many people have lordly body armor and gloves which means that average armor is around 45. Also pierce/blunt weapons get the same modifier as cut thefore making them even stronger. Plus 3 cut damage isn't big deal but plus 3 pierce is a huge bonus.

Blunt is inefficient against low armor so it's not really OP but pierce is great against everything and that's a problem imho.

accodring to vargas's calc having a +3 cut damage is the same as 1 PS pretty big difference.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2934
  • Infamy: 1517
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:00 pm »
Isn't that outdated? I'm pretty sure that calculator works with old soak values.

Also put +3 on pierce and look how much damage (or added PS) it gives?

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:40:42 pm »
+2
Blunt inefficient against 0armour? o.O

Never experienced that^^

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:31 pm »
It's kind of balanced because blunt/pierce weapons are often slower or shorter than their slash counterparts.  There are still a few weapons that need to be adjusted though.

All weapon types are equal against no/low armor.
For example, look at 1h weapons. 
Knightly arming sword: 31 dam
Warhammer: 31 dam
Steel Pick: 32 dam

Against someone with no armor, these weapons will all deal their native damage...about the same.  When armor increases, the hammer and pick become better damage dealers, but they are slower and shorter.  Oh, wait.  The pick is not slower, it's faster.  But that's ok because the hammer has knockdown to balance it against the pick.  Wait...no knockdown doesn't occur often enough to be useful.  Oh boy now I'm confused.  :|

In short, I think only certain weapons need adjusting, not damage types as a whole.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:49:08 pm by Garison »

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 11:32:43 am »
I absolutely agree. According to the calculator, vs. 50/60 armor, 35 pierce (yes, its steel pick value when loomed) does exacly double average damage that a 40 cut does ...

I would agree on piercing/blunt doing 20/30% more damage on heavy armors, but guys we're talking about now theyre doing 100% more damage even against medium armor.

And not to say, that allows hig agi and only 12 str 4ps builds wearing steel picks that does more raw damage than a 21 str 7ps character with a cut weapon. Yes it's shorter, but it's not enough, highly unbalanced as it is now... including the steel pick is the only "top weapon" that actually has a lesser requirement than its "lowered version", thus allowing those builds.

What im saying:

military pick rqr 13
Steel pick rqr 12 (wrong)

warhammer rqr 15

top swords (nordic champ, arabian, knighly ... etc, excepting "light swords" like long eslavona and side sword, which are not top sword by current patch status standards) rqr 13

Iron War Axe rqr 16! (looool)
Broad one handed battle axe rqr 12

Of all of those weapons, the most damaging is clearly the steel pick (more than double the others minus the warhammer). it's the second heaviest (only outweighted by iron war axe, which is slower and only 4 length difference), the speediest of them all and the lowest requirement together with the bohba (which is nothing near as damaging).

But its the same if you compare other piercing damage weapons. Theyre counterparts are not even near the damage they deliver

I would suggest lowering the total values of every pierce weapon or modifiying the reduction of damage in piercing and blunt.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 11:37:19 am »
the blunt & pierce nearly all have lower BASE damage than cut weapons, no reason why anything needs to change.  stop trying to CUT thru plate armor, duh.

chalk up another bad idea from Leshma

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 11:40:20 am »
I'd say fine to this, but I'm not going to be biased.
Damage types are fine and doing what they are supposed to do.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2974
  • Infamy: 1722
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »
the blunt & pierce nearly all have lower BASE damage than cut weapons, no reason why anything needs to change.  stop trying to CUT thru plate armor, duh.

chalk up another bad idea from Leshma

You think I suggested this because I have trouble killing people?

Dude, I can kill anyone in four hits. No matter what armor or how much str/if he has. That's because I always aim for the head.

Also you should read what Shodan posted.

Very good post, Shodan :)