Poll

Does the Warhammer need to be looked at by the Balancing team?

Yes
18 (36.7%)
No
31 (63.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: October 10, 2011, 09:16:21 pm

Author Topic: Warhammer  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
Warhammer
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »
I noticed while using my Warhammer that it's damage really isn't that great even with +3 and ps6 and wm7 (all in 1h).

For example I have noted many many times hitting an un-helmeted target in the head and not producing a kill. Now I'm not saying that it should 1shot everything left and right, but its rather disappointing when you hit someone in the head with a Mighty Warhammer with no helmet and they still walk around.

With the changes to armour it would appear that Warhammer has rather lost it's core use, being able to interrupt and severely damage heavily armoured targets and disrupt enemy ranks.

Since lower classes of weapons can now interrupt heavily armoured targets its no longer the ideal weapon for heavy enemies anymore. Being extremely short, and slow (not gaining bonus to speed from heirloom) its only saving grace is the higher chance of knock down (3 - 3.5 weight).

Other weapons like the Military Pick and Battle Axes produce better damage, speed, range, and still interrupt effectively (No stab I know).

I don't really know what to do to put Warhammer back into the useful weapons department so I leave it open to all.

Please post useful criticism and not just say L2P.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Warhammer
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:18:00 pm »
Due to it being blunt, I thought the point of the warhammer was to kick the crap out of armored targets? If you want to kill lightly armored targets then slashing is much much better. Blunt ignores armor even more then pierce.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:06 pm »
Due to it being blunt, I thought the point of the warhammer was to kick the crap out of armored targets? If you want to kill lightly armored targets then slashing is much much better. Blunt ignores armor even more then pierce.

With the changes to armour it would appear that Warhammer has rather lost it's core use, being able to interrupt and severely damage heavily armoured targets and disrupt enemy ranks.

Most slashing weapons now interrupt heavily armoured targets too.

Offline SchokoSchaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: Eats grass
  • IRC nick: Schoko
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:11 pm »
It has knockdown. What do you want more. Almost as good as 1hit. Only more fun. That's why I'm using it.
määääääääääh!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »
imho the warhammer is amazing.
I was using it on my strength 1h character and nobody survived more than 2 hits, except for allers and equivalent 11 IF+ players.

Also if you get knockdown you instantly win the fight. Nobody can survive after being knocked down by it, I don't care who they are. The three hit combo is just too hard hitting.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:29:49 pm »
imho the warhammer is amazing.
I was using it on my strength 1h character and nobody survived more than 2 hits, except for allers and equivalent 11 IF+ players.

Also if you get knockdown you instantly win the fight. Nobody can survive after being knocked down by it, I don't care who they are. The three hit combo is just too hard hitting.

I thought the same thing at first, but I've been using a Mighty one since the last reset and it lost its luster for me.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 09:35:12 pm »
I thought the same thing at first, but I've been using a Mighty one since the last reset and it lost its luster for me.
It is just that there are more strength leaning builds surviving more hits.
Imagine if you had a wimpy little Italian sword. They'd be taking way more hits.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40:44 pm »
Speed, Length, Stab is amazing on that sword.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:23:32 pm »
It is just that there are more strength leaning builds surviving more hits.
Imagine if you had a wimpy little Italian sword. They'd be taking way more hits.

I swapped my mighty warhammer for a MW italian sword in the [previous] big patch and enjoy it profusely thank you very much gooddaytoyousir.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:34:42 pm »
I was using it as an example as probably the best well rounded 1h, and that it requires still more hits than a warhammer to kill.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:55:42 pm »
Just like tears said, you are better off using a slashing weapon against anyone in 50 or less armor.  Warhammer is either a tincan killer or support weapon when you have teammates around.  I probably get 15-25% knockdown rate when using it, giving me and my teammates LOTS of extra free hits against downed opponents.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 02:09:45 pm »
Just like tears said, you are better off using a slashing weapon against anyone in 50 or less armor.  Warhammer is either a tincan killer or support weapon when you have teammates around.  I probably get 15-25% knockdown rate when using it, giving me and my teammates LOTS of extra free hits against downed opponents.

How is it a tincan killer now?

Every weapon interrupts, the allure of the Warhammer originally was that it lands a hit every time, and it could knock down an enemy.

Now its just a super short, low (but consistent!) damage weapon that may allow you to get an extra free swing, that is slow as F.

After using it for months I find even unheirloomed weapons are better than the Warhammer, which for sake of realism should hurt quite a bit with or without armour, especially in the face.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:12:23 pm by Konrax »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 01:00:00 am »
How is it a tincan killer now?

Every weapon interrupts, the allure of the Warhammer originally was that it lands a hit every time, and it could knock down an enemy.

Now its just a super short, low (but consistent!) damage weapon that may allow you to get an extra free swing, that is slow as F.

After using it for months I find even unheirloomed weapons are better than the Warhammer, which for sake of realism should hurt quite a bit with or without armour, especially in the face.

Run of the Mill Tincan
24 STR, 8 IF, 75 HP
Transitional Plate: 53 armor
Plate Mittens: 10 Armor
Total Body Armor: 63
STR: 18
PS: 6
WPF: 125
Warhammer: 31b

Avg Dmg: 18
High Dmg: 29
Low: Dmg: 7

Average hits required to kill target: 5
Elite Scimitar: 31c

Avg Dmg: 10
High Dmg: 21
Low: Dmg: 0

Average hits to kill target:  8
Heirloomed Tincan
24 STR, 8 IF, 75 HP
Total Body Armor: 63+14= 77 armor
Warhammer: 31b

Avg Dmg: 12
High Dmg: 23

Average hits to kill target:  7
Elite Scimitar: 31c

Avg Dmg: 7
High Dmg: 14

Average hits to kill target:  11

so besides doing close to double the dmg of an equivilent cut weapon, I dont know about you but I dont have all day to try and hit a tincan 8-11 times with a cut weapon to kill them.  They will have friends show up before that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:02:39 am by Digglez »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 01:02:20 am »
Warhammer is amazing, had fun using it without a shield when I was 1h.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:16:10 am »
TBH i prefer the Military Hammer alot more since.

A. it doenst have a retarded stab animation that fucks up your hammertime fun...

B. Its longer it may not sound like alot on paper but it shows.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.