Author Topic: Integrate Mumble and cRPG.  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Rumaahinen

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rumaahinen
Re: Integrate Mumble and cRPG.
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »
+1
Great idea, everyone who doesn't like it could just turn it off. There should be also options to hear only your allies etc.

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 09:01:09 am »
+1, it would be awesome!. Except for all the trolls that would probably be in it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 10:25:03 am »
some of you have very poor understanding of how this works.  you still have to opt in and connect to the mumble server.  just because you join a cRPG server doesnt mean you are thrown into VOIP like other team games such as; Natural selection, TF2, CS, Empires Mod.

This mod does positional audio, so you can roughly tell how far away and in which direction the person talking is.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:22:07 am by Digglez »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »
+3
Just be aggresive in kicking and banning on those things and they will be kept clean. With a clear set of rules and good moderation this could work. I think you should only be able to insult people medieval style.

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 05:28:36 am »
You guys think that only game-related strategy should be used for mumble, but its really just a more awesome version of Ventrilo. (It's a third party standalone thing).

You can set it so that only teamates hear you (awesome for strat) or for everyone to hear so you can trash the enemy!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:54:19 pm by PieParadox »

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 10:52:53 pm »
Necro bump

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »
Yes, YES! As long as people keep it in english.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 12:49:30 am »
Ye, some kind of autokick would be nice for any other language...
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 12:51:26 am »
As long as u can mute ppl and it would be adminned I'm all for it.
Pock gobblers

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:37 am »
you've never played on a well run Natural Selection, Empires Mod, Day of Defeat or TeamFortress server then

they'd be half the games they were without voice comms

Resistance and Liberation: alltalk, by closeness, also yelling in that game makes your voice carry further, so you have to call your mates, you can yell shit at your opponents, such as "Hey Hanz, catch my potato!" and pass them a nade over the wall :D. So many times I have snuck up behind my enemies, pistol in hand, and listened to their plans, snuck off and countered them. That and sneaking behind a heavy MG, fix bayonet, then scream at him "DROP IT YOU CUNT! DROP IT OR DIE!" arrest them, march their disarmed ass back to our base, making him fistfight  for our teams amusement.
I don't know enough

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 02:41:20 am »
As far as I understand, Mumble is an open-source Voip application that is scriptable.

The idea is that one could use this to talk to each other, automatically joining you current Team's channel. Mumble also supports position based technology, so you would only hear people that are close to you. IDK if the last, or even the first one is possible though.

If one could send the players in team-list to a mumble server, one could script the server to sort all those members into group A, and the others to group B.
That is the very basic and simple approach. If one could also extract positioning of players data and send and adapt that to Mumble we could speak to whomever we meet on the field.

Was going to make a post suggesting Mumble for cRPG... but I see this has happen nearly a year-and-a-half ago.  So I guess there's no hope for Mumble being implemented.  If it could be implemented, I think this would greatly change the way teamwork plays out.  Everyone on the same teams could possibly communicate with each other.  Of course I'd suggest that only positional based chat take place.  And I'd have the range quite low.  So you'd only hear everyone's nonsense at the beginning of a round.

And if your comment is... just use Teamspeak... then you don't realize how Mumble works... or how amazing it really is!

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 02:55:20 am »
Cant wait for this

(click to show/hide)

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 11:37:41 am »
Dear god no, the chat alone is annoying enough.
indeed, and if some people need to mute it because of the little annoying kids (really, they are there), you will miss a lot of crucial info. Or do you expect people to both call for help in voice chat and write in chat 'go to the flag'. would also be fucking annoying if you are using ts

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 11:47:15 am »
implement a comander voting at maps beginning, this man alone can mumble to team and select 2-4 others as officers or scouts.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »
+1
Have you guys used Mumble's positioning-detection in a actual game?

I have in Project Reality (BF2 Mod)... and there's it's amazing!  I mean a must have!  Mind you, the community in PR is probably more mature than cRPG.

You'd definitely have a bunch of folks being loud mouth dicks at the beginning of a round.  But once you spread out (after the first 30 seconds), you'd only hear those near you.  And there's a 1-button "mute-everyone", so you could hit that at the end of a round, and not turn it back on till 30 secs into the game.  And I'd suggest detection range to very low.  You wouldn't hear folks half-way across the map.  Hell, I'd have it set at like 10, maybe 20, feet away.

Basically, it'd allow you to communicate with those around you.  Whether telling your guys to go ahead, you can solo this guy.  Asking a shielder to defend you while you chop down the door.  Tell the 1-h shielder to stop chopping the door and let a hard hitting 2-hander to work on it.  Letting a buddy know that someone is coming up behind him.  It has all kind of use.

And the best part... if you don't want to use it... you don't have to.  Stay on TS with your clan.  Use both.  You can set a 1-button sound-off for Mumble (muting everyone).  You can mute individual players.  So those that are total ass-wipes... you'll never have to hear them.  And best of all... Mumble automatically puts you in the proper channel (server & team) when you join the game.

Personally, I think Mumble should be included in any slower-paced, team-based combat game.