Author Topic: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?  (Read 10547 times)

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Re: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2011, 11:30:17 pm »
You still don't give it up, do you?

A dedicated archer can still shoot anybody who is approaching him over distance, while a pikeman can't do anything but either wait or charge himself. (next to the option for both to run away, where the archer will have the better chances again). Let alone if the attack does not contain mele but... range?

yes yes....i think understand archers shoot arrows from far away.....and in order to make them stop you must.....kill them? that is the equivalent or archers saying

"DONT YOU GET IT MELEE HIT YOU WHEN THEY ARE CLOSE TO YOU THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS SHOOT THEM FROM FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!"

maybe its because i left or i am on medication but something is wrong in your argument but i am certain you will explain my void and null logic in explicit detail.....
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2011, 01:00:28 am »
yes yes....i think understand archers shoot arrows from far away.....and in order to make them stop you must.....kill them? that is the equivalent or archers saying

"DONT YOU GET IT MELEE HIT YOU WHEN THEY ARE CLOSE TO YOU THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS SHOOT THEM FROM FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!"

maybe its because i left or i am on medication but something is wrong in your argument but i am certain you will explain my void and null logic in explicit detail.....

It's always a good feeling to flank archers and send them running into my comrade's arms- unless they're on a rooftop without a ladder.  As for pikemen, can't they drop their pike for a minute and attack with an awlpike or something? Re-equip it after you manage to kill your attackers?  And, not sure about this, but do you need much polearm profficiency to stop a horse?  If not, switch to one or two handers and kill.  Re-equip pike after.  Rinse and repeat.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:41 am »
I sometimes bring a pike (with 0 wpf) to stop horses, and switch to sword & board when it's time to melee fight. Not hard at all to pick it back up again. Also, pikes can still block.

Offline Dede

• Count
  • Renown: 161
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2011, 01:21:18 am »
@Herald_Hardrata
These look great. It sure looks like a Byzantine cataphract. Did the Ottoman's use cataphracts?
The ottoman heavy cav looked like the mamluk horse in cRPG.
(click to show/hide)
The central asian turk/persian empires usen cataphracts (for example the Timurid dynasty).
Most of the Eastern Empires used similar Weapons and Equipment and have also influenced each other.

I'm not seeing any "lobster tails" on the turkish examples you've provided though. Do you have any with them, because if I remember correctly the item models in game have lobster tails (the segmented neck piece on the rear of the helmet).
There are many different version of this helmet. Some of them have lobster tails, and some are single plated. I have listed the ones that I found from google in an image file.(most of them are ottoman, some russian and one magyar)
(click to show/hide)

This is the Mughal version:
(click to show/hide)

Sorry if I titled my original post in a confusing way, I was just trying to make the point that we were using helmets from a period much later than the medieval period and warband is originally a medieval themed game 1257 c.e. if I remember correctly.
I didnt play native Warband that much, and I am not in a position to say what timeperiod cRPG is about, but the medieval timeperiod is from 5c.to the 15c.
And we already have many plated body armors and weapons, which belong to the time after the 13 th.Century. I think nobody wants them removed?
The only thing that I dont want to see in this mod would be gunpowder weapons.

More Byzantine armor would be very nice to see in this game, I agree 100% with you there. Some seljuke Turkish items along with more mamluk armor would be pretty cool as well (the stock armor is nice, but it would look really nice with enhanced textures, shimmering with diamonds the way they're described from historical accounts instead of just that dull grey color).
Yeah, hope we can see Byzantine items along with other new stuff in the next patch.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:23:42 am by Dede »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2011, 01:24:09 am »
Cataphracts are much older even. Scythians and Parthians in antiquity. Roughly equivalent to Roman Empire times.

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2011, 01:53:51 am »
Cataphracts are much older even. Scythians and Parthians in antiquity. Roughly equivalent to Roman Empire times.

Yeah, I think Parthian Cataphracts were my favorite units when I played Rome Total War. I wish taleworld would go back a period and do classical combat.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2011, 03:41:38 am »

I won't discuss any longer to people who are somehow biased. There is a reason why ranged fighting finally got the upper hand in warfare, and in this case you can very well use real life as argument. Killing someone over range has some undeniable advantages.

I think my point of view can be described best by one fact, from which you can easily lead to all my other arguments:

People are meant to play as much as possible. Spending a lot of time in the spectator screen doesn't really mean you are playing. That's one of the reason why I hate if people delay a round, even if they have a chance to win, because imho a won round for one team < more time to play for both teams. Following this philosophy, and concerning that Warband is a fighting game, only fighting represents "real" playing.

During a round, an archer can spend much more time actually fighting than an infantryman. From which all the other benefits archers have, derive.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2011, 03:51:16 am »
+1
I won't discuss any longer to people who are somehow biased. There is a reason why ranged fighting finally got the upper hand in warfare, and in this case you can very well use real life as argument. Killing someone over range has some undeniable advantages.

I think my point of view can be described best by one fact, from which you can easily lead to all my other arguments:

People are meant to play as much as possible. Spending a lot of time in the spectator screen doesn't really mean you are playing. That's one of the reason why I hate if people delay a round, even if they have a chance to win, because imho a won round for one team < more time to play for both teams. Following this philosophy, and concerning that Warband is a fighting game, only fighting represents "real" playing.

During a round, an archer can spend much more time actually fighting than an infantryman. From which all the other benefits archers have, derive.

Thats only because infantrymen can't destroy the archer's home and slaughter their families. We'll see how long he runs when we threaten his livelihood!

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:33 pm »
how am i biased to archers?im a polearm i messed with range but unless u go pure u cant do shit with it
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2011, 12:05:29 am »
Yes, but as soon as you go pure you can intervene into the fight... well, not neccessarily better, I would say "more"... that's what I am poiting at mostly. It leaves you more choices.

The other thing I menitoned, that a Pikeman will probably always have worse stats than an equally skilled other class is not the problem of the archery which I took as an example, it's a problem of the pikeman as class itself.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 879
  • Infamy: 2314
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:05 am »
This man is obsessed with the Chichak.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:20 am »
Thats only because infantrymen can't destroy the archer's home and slaughter their families. We'll see how long he runs when we threaten his livelihood!

I'd like to see this implemented. Some sort of social network shit mixed up with the mod.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2011, 12:48:01 am »
People rage because they simply can.

It's not like raging to Blizzard or something, but on cRPG, they know chadz can do something about it if they whine hard enough.

this.

and whining is sorta of fashion here. back in warband beta there was threads about game balance. people argued and debated balance between playstyles to see their favorite gameplay buffed. nothing changed, nothing will ever change.

oh and the fact chadz and devs actually are worried about balance and try to improve the game by trying good points from the community, parse kill stats, average k/d of a certain build/weapon, keeps improving and polishing the mod (most of the time).

and we're taking this game so much seriously that some people need to try to light some "flaws" or "gamebreaking" gameplay parts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:49:42 am by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2011, 03:27:10 pm »
We whine because we care and want to stay, much better than just quitting in silence.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works