Author Topic: Artistic talents - win a loom point!  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Governor

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Calradia
  • Game nicks: Governor_Unicorns
Re: Artistic talents - win a loom point!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:02 pm »
Traditional digital map/GIS software (even map software as simple as google maps) faces the exact same problems that you're outlining here.  They solve this issue by showing different maps/panels based on your zoom level and also provide toggles for different versions of the map or layers (e.g. google maps satellite vs road map).  This also helps with page load and memory management on the client end.  It seems we already have different "layers", so at the very least it should be pretty straight forward to add in a toggle on the UI that switches between realistic view and "terrain" view.  This would also have the added benefit of being flexible for the future -- if you added a map image that was dynamically generated based on faction territories, for example, it could be toggled on in the same fashion.

If needed, you can also implement more detailed maps at closer zoom levels -- this would allow you to really focus on the graphics/details that look best at specific zooms rather than trying to find something that looks OK at every zoom.

Since the map functionality is all built into the backend, the vast majority of this work would be simply done on the frontend UI, and that is obviously ideal.

If this seems like something you'd want to pursue, I'd be happy to help out with the javascript.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:50 pm »
+3
Here's a WiP, Layers not necessary.. anymore :D

The goal was to create a good looking map, with different-natured areas clearly visible. I softened the edges of zones a little bit for looks, since if they are hard, it creates a very strong border, unfitting for a naturalistic drawing. They are still accurate though.

The underlying map still needs adjusting, but I'll get around to it tonight.. colours and touchup, contrasts, map-key, missing no-pass areas etc.

I'l be happy for feedback too :) I know some of the textures are a bit lame.. should be drawn by hand really.. hmm.. got an idea..:)
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 09:16:47 pm »
It looks like we're all racing to make the same thing 3:

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »

The goal was to create a good looking map, with different-natured areas clearly visible. I softened the edges of zones a little bit for looks, since if they are hard, it creates a very strong border, unfitting for a naturalistic drawing. They are still accurate though.

The underlying map still needs adjusting, but I'll get around to it tonight.. colours and touchup, contrasts, map-key, missing no-pass areas etc.

I'l be happy for feedback too :) I know some of the textures are a bit lame.. should be drawn by hand really.. hmm.. got an idea..:)
(click to show/hide)

All of my time gone to waste. Despair.

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 10:10:06 pm »
lol i want that loompoint.. bad! :)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 01:23:46 am »

(click to show/hide)

I really like the map, but the snow area is kinda...too white? or the colors that are within it are too not visable, like the tree's etc.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 01:53:50 am »
heres new WIP. Almost done.. if chadz give loom point, i'll finish it :)       (It contains lots of bugs atm.. but that's not been stopping us before so.. :twisted:

3mb full size jpg:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486399/geo_calradia8Corrected.jpg

30mb TGA full size:
TGA here if someone wants to recolour or play with it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486399/geo_calradia8Corrected.tga
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:55:36 am by Thomek »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 01:58:36 am »
heres new WIP. Almost done.. if chadz give loom point, i'll finish it :)       (It contains lots of bugs atm.. but that's not been stopping us before so.. :twisted:

3mb full size jpg:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486399/geo_calradia8Corrected.jpg

30mb TGA full size:
TGA here if someone wants to recolour or play with it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486399/geo_calradia8Corrected.tga

I'd give you one if I could.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:07 am »
only our Dønkey God chadzius can let loom points rain down on the mortals. Or u mean u have a loom point? Let's see if the way I made it is good enough for him. There are lots of messy areas fully zoomed in..

But chadz. it would be 10 times easier for me to fit the geo-map to the nice map, rather than repainting, moving all the small elements on the nice map.. :)

But yes, for all i know everything is synced with the city placement and other things im not aware of..

On the side.. The Geo-map feature could be a very simple way to suggest new maps and ideas. Anyone could make one in paint (almost). Then someone else could artistically fill it up like they want.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:07:11 am by Thomek »

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 05:07:28 am »
+1
FYI: in strategus v2 i fixed the map and it is now exactly the same as the nice looking one from TW/Yazzi (also fixed the location positions). The eyecandy map is different because i had to stretch and cut it off to fit the original strategus v1 map. v2 is also bit larger, 5900x4488. There is some kind of layer support, i'm using it to overlay the territories (WIP) (you can view that file with IE). Maybe we can add the geo info in v2 also as polygons? Maybe we can already switch v1 to the fixed map & locations so we dont have to do the geo map again (depending on how much work that is).

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 06:39:06 am »
The reason why we started doing the geo-map on the old map instead of the new map was that the old one, while being more ugly, has more terrain detail in it. There's lots of forests that are not in the v2 map, but are in the v1 map.

So Thomek, about editing the geo map - _if_ it's not too much trouble - take the v2 from harald ( http://c-rpg.net/calradia_4.jpg ) as the base. This is what the new pixel size is supposed to be.
Edit (&extend) the geo-map so it fits the geography in the base. Also, add the remaining bridges to the geo map :D (the pink stuff).
I think there are also some cliffs in the new base that should be added to the geo map (like cliffs at the coast, etc). And also keep these fancy forests you did in your map, even if they are not in the new base map - I think they look great and add to the gameplay. You can also edit the mountains somehow if you feel like it. As I said before, the biggest problem i have with the mountains is that they are in an isometric view, while the geo map is 2D - but I like your approach there. In general, the more terrain is added to the map (both geo and base), the better for the gameplay.

This also means that the geo map needs (new) specifications:
The size must then be exactly a 4th of the base map: 5.900px × 4.488px /4 = 1475*1122
Also, it is VERY important that in the geo map the colors aren't mixed, for obvious reasons. A pixel can be a cliff or a plain, not half of both. The colors itself don't matter that much, i'll have to edit it in the end anyway (convert to uncompressed 4bit (=16colors) PNG)

Sorry for changing the conditions halfway through the contest :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:35:28 am by chadz »

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:07 am »
+3
(click to show/hide)

heh

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:27 pm »
Ok here's a close to finished version.

It's kind of standard without bells and whistles and graded lands.. I'll grade it last :) but it must be approved.

Small pngs:
(click to show/hide)

PSD's and full rez stuff coming soon. (uhm.. psd is 461mb.. ill give it by request)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:47:05 pm by Thomek »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 06:33:37 pm »
hmm.. struggling with finding a way to "posterize" the GeoMap after changes. I'll reduce colours with posterize etc, but photoshop begins to interpolate, using i.ex grey between dark green and light green. Anyone know a solution by chance?

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 10:26:15 pm »
anyway here is the psd of the current project 212mb: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486399/geo_calradia9.psd.zip