Author Topic: Unarmed combat  (Read 2824 times)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
Unarmed combat
« on: September 24, 2011, 04:55:24 am »
I have a couple questions about unarmed combat (punching)

Does punching use 1h wpf?

Do gauntlets increase punching damage and how?

Anything else interesting I should know about punching?

Offline Socrates

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Philosophy is a way of life
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ascended Order
  • Game nicks: Socrates
Re: Unarmed combat
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:58:55 am »
gloves don't affect dmg. damage is increased by str + ps. don't know about wpf.
The act of justice is not determined by the state.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:15 am »
No weapon proficiency increases punch speed.
it is Unarmed.
:(
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 01:12:57 pm »
I saw a guy chambering 4 thrust of a oplite and a 2h yesterday, he even chambered my couched lance(I tought it was impossible), it was so funny(he was named Ased or something like that, I don't remember atm)
anyway back in topic I think it's only about ps and str the damage output, and also I think there's no wpf correlated to that

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:05:40 am »
I saw a guy chambering 4 thrust of a oplite and a 2h yesterday, he even chambered my couched lance(I tought it was impossible), it was so funny(he was named Ased or something like that, I don't remember atm)
anyway back in topic I think it's only about ps and str the damage output, and also I think there's no wpf correlated to that
You can't chamber a couched lance. The others are possible though.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:57:24 pm »
You can't chamber a couched lance. The others are possible though.
that's what I've always thought too, but when I charged him I saw him punching and while hearing the "thing"sound of the parry/chamber block the lance went on the cooldown position, needs to be checked imo
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:58:36 pm by marco1391 »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:45:47 pm »
that's what I've always thought too, but when I charged him I saw him punching and while hearing the "thing"sound of the parry/chamber block the lance went on the cooldown position, needs to be checked imo
Weird. Me and some clanies tested it again and again and never managed to chamber it. Some of them are those guys who can chamber all day long, never blocking. But all of them used a weapon. Maybe there is something left in the coding enabling UNARMED to chamber it? It was chamberable before, maybe they just forgot to add the "can't chamber this attack" to the Unarmed category?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Dan lol

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • ROLLINROLLINROLLINROLLIN
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: If you can't handle me at my durst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my fredst.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 12:29:57 am »
I've seen antiblitz do it twice in the span of a minute with his messer, before that I thought it was impossible. And yeah, for the most part you can look at the animations to determine what wpf is used (unless its something completely fucked like the flamberge)

JABONRA
His mother's asshole, I tragedy

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:55:38 am »
I've seen antiblitz do it twice in the span of a minute with his messer, before that I thought it was impossible. And yeah, for the most part you can look at the animations to determine what wpf is used (unless its something completely fucked like the flamberge)
You can always see what wpf type it's using by it's animation, even the flamberge. Not the ATTACK animations, though, but the default stand still animation :P

(for reference. One handed is held in one hand (unless polearm+shield, but those are obvious), two hand in two hands at the hilt and polearms with two hand in the middleish/lower end (or same as 1h if used with a shield))

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 02:35:31 am »
You can always see what wpf type it's using by it's animation, even the flamberge. Not the ATTACK animations, though, but the default stand still animation :P

(for reference. One handed is held in one hand (unless polearm+shield, but those are obvious), two hand in two hands at the hilt and polearms with two hand in the middleish/lower end (or same as 1h if used with a shield))

You'd be fooled by two handed weapons that can be used with a shield, such as the heavy bastard sword. If you're holding one without a shield, and you stand still, you hold it with only one hand.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 02:51:17 am »
You'd be fooled by two handed weapons that can be used with a shield, such as the heavy bastard sword. If you're holding one without a shield, and you stand still, you hold it with only one hand.
Except they are not 2handed weapons. They are 1h/2h and use BOTH wpf depending on whether or not you have a shield. So while they still look like 1h when they are in 2h mode, they are TECHNICALLY still a 1h tpp. They are just in their 2h mode. Confusing, I know.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 02:57:07 am »
Except they are not 2handed weapons. They are 1h/2h and use BOTH wpf depending on whether or not you have a shield. So while they still look like 1h when they are in 2h mode, they are TECHNICALLY still a 1h tpp. They are just in their 2h mode. Confusing, I know.

It's not confusing at all unless you insist on using standing animations as the basis for their wpf. In no way is a heavy bastard sword "technically still a 1h" just because its standing animation is holding it in one hand. I'm not going to argue or belabor the point, just saying that your rule of thumb isn't waterproof.

Just to reply to the OP, unarmed combat is not a viable class choice in Warband. This isn't a fantasy where you have monks or something. Actually, playing an unarmed character might get you into trouble, since most servers insist that you spawn with a weapon. Otherwise, it looks like you're leeching.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:58:32 am by Panoply »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 04:56:02 am »
just spawn with a stick and some peasant robs and try chamber some lances lol, that would be epic.

Let the experiments being!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 06:31:57 pm »
It's not confusing at all unless you insist on using standing animations as the basis for their wpf. In no way is a heavy bastard sword "technically still a 1h" just because its standing animation is holding it in one hand. I'm not going to argue or belabor the point, just saying that your rule of thumb isn't waterproof.

Just to reply to the OP, unarmed combat is not a viable class choice in Warband. This isn't a fantasy where you have monks or something. Actually, playing an unarmed character might get you into trouble, since most servers insist that you spawn with a weapon. Otherwise, it looks like you're leeching.
It is "technically still a 1h" because it is BOTH a 1h AND a 2h. Standing animation is still the way to go to find out what type of weapon it is.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 06:44:48 pm »
IF you want to go in technicalities, its a type 2handed weapon but it doesn't have the 2 handed flag which would give it the 2 h walk animation.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art