Author Topic: 1h+shield  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Mouse, Nezumi, Maus
Re: 1h+shield
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:25:31 am »
Adjust WPF to your liking.

1H/Shield + Polearms (or Crossbow)
Level 30
    Strength: 15
    Agility: 21
    Converted: 2
    Ironflesh: 5
    Power Strike: 5
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 7
    Weapon Master: 7
    One Handed: 140
    Polearm: 110 (or Crossbow)
***Move IF into riding if you want to play cavalry, and/or into shields if you really want.

1H/Shield + Throwing
Level 30
    Converted: 2
    Athletics: 7
    Power Throw: 5
    One Handed: 140
    Throwing: 110

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Mouse, Nezumi, Maus
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 01:31:37 am »
If you're willing to wait until level 31 to be "complete" then...

Level 31

Agility: 24

Converted: 6
    Athletics: 8
    Weapon Master: 8

One Handed: 170
    Polearm: 50

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 01:35:48 am »
Difficult. Imho you took the best skill combo for 21/18 for your favorite equipment. I am not sure about the viability of the build/equipment. Could be hard to play.
I would not make an agi based build... at least 18str, better 21str. Would be good if you deal damage if you hit with the Langes Messer.
A ninja build with huscarl... no.

I tested a few 1h/board builds. My last one was a 18/18 1h/shield/thrower (i know, you dont want a hybrid) hybrid. It worked great. You can deal with cav, archer, melee...
If you build 18/18 you could max shield, ath and all other important skills... and there are even free points. IF is imho waste without armor. You could test 21/15 also... if you feel too slow you can level further.
Personally i had quite good success even with a 12agi warhammer char... lot of str and ironflesh (but I had armor).
But 6 shield skill is much better than 4.

But as you know the main problem is... if you make a build without conversion of skill->attribute you have got spare skill points. If you convert a lot you have a lack of skill points. Imho your build is not bad if you dont want to use your skill points for a skill.

I would change the WPP a little bit... something like:
    * One Handed: 135 (remain)
    * Polearm: 100 (about)

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 01:37:16 am »
I have 21 str 15 agility and I have about 145 wpf
Just a soldier

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 01:39:01 am »
Difficult. Imho you took the best skill combo for 21/18 for your favorite equipment. I am not sure about the viability of the build/equipment. Could be hard to play.
I would not make an agi based build... at least 18str, better 21str. Would be good if you deal damage if you hit with the Langes Messer.
A ninja build with huscarl... no.

I tested a few 1h/board builds. My last one was a 18/18 1h/shield/thrower (i know, you dont want a hybrid) hybrid. It worked great. You can deal with cav, archer, melee...
If you build 18/18 you could max shield, ath and all other important skills... and there are even free points. IF is imho waste without armor. You could test 21/15 also... if you feel too slow you can level further.
Personally i had quite good success even with a 12agi warhammer char... lot of str and ironflesh (but I had armor).
But 6 shield skill is much better than 4.

But as you know the main problem is... if you make a build without conversion of skill->attribute you have got spare skill points. If you convert a lot you have a lack of skill points. Imho your build is not bad if you dont want to use your skill points for a skill.

I would change the WPP a little bit... something like:
    * One Handed: 135 (remain)
    * Polearm: 100 (about)

thx for a nice and serious post :D

1. it's not a ninja build, it's a spartan build, which is why i chose this equipment. It will be a new alt, not a part of the ninja clan.
2. I only need polearm wpf vs. horses and when my shield breaks.

and i'll think about the 18/18 build, but as you say, i will have useless spare skill points, as IF is kinda useless as 1 hit kills me anyways. I gotta rely on my shield.

I mgiht go 6 shield, but then i have to put one less point in another skill... which one?

Offline Kherr

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 01:56:34 am »
thx for a nice and serious post :D
thx

1. it's not a ninja build, it's a spartan build, which is why i chose this equipment. It will be a new alt, not a part of the ninja clan.
I knew that... errm... it was primarily my first thought about babelfish's suggestion, sorry.

2. I only need polearm wpf vs. horses and when my shield breaks.
Ok, but I still think the tradeoff of -15 1h against +50 polearm WPP is not bad.

and i'll think about the 18/18 build, but as you say, i will have useless spare skill points, as IF is kinda useless as 1 hit kills me anyways. I gotta rely on my shield.
Try 18/15 a while. If you think you are slow you can level agi, if you want more damage go str. Agi does not make wonder... you will never go easily behind a normal 2h (most have a lot of agi) or walk around a turtle.

I mgiht go 6 shield, but then i have to put one less point in another skill... which one?
no idea

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 02:10:36 am »
from what you are saying you want to do...

go 15/21 or 12/24

you need the wpf to be competent in poles and 1hands. you are going to be relying on your shield and speed to stay alive which means you want high athletics and high shield. hitting hard is worthless to you if you get your shield broken in 3 hits or cant close into range with anyone.

p.s. you dont need heirloomed gear to make a 15/21 work... i did 12/24... and my only heirloomed item was my gloves. id say to do 15 str though cause you arent using strong enough weapons to make up for the 12 str against tin cans.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 03:33:34 am »
To be honest - not flaming or trolling here - I feel like you guys are looking for the cookie cutter build.  Like the ultimate end all configuration of perfection.  Imo the skillset is situational, and the fun level is based on actual satisfaction. 

Ask yourself this?  How many games have you grown bored of because you couldn't break away from the cookie cutter build that bored you to tears in fear of trying a gimp or unconventional build that you thought would work for you?  I'm sure a few.

I say just do what you feel is right.  The bonus is you can reroll at lvl 15 and keep your stuff right?  That way you can feel out certain playstyles and then get a free respec if it is just not working for you.  Lvl 15 is nothing. 

IF is not gimp either.  I know it's obviously a low added bonus, but that extra sliver of life can mean the difference between living/playing or sitting the rest of the round out watching from the shadows. 

I really don't find the dynamics of this game as cut and dry as alot of people try and make it out to be.  There is no right answer, there is only your answer.  So I hope you can still feel comfortable to decide what is right for you after being TOLD what is right by half the community playing.

Good luck!
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 09:47:54 am »
To be honest - not flaming or trolling here - I feel like you guys are looking for the cookie cutter build.  Like the ultimate end all configuration of perfection.  Imo the skillset is situational, and the fun level is based on actual satisfaction. 

Ask yourself this?  How many games have you grown bored of because you couldn't break away from the cookie cutter build that bored you to tears in fear of trying a gimp or unconventional build that you thought would work for you?  I'm sure a few.

I say just do what you feel is right.  The bonus is you can reroll at lvl 15 and keep your stuff right?  That way you can feel out certain playstyles and then get a free respec if it is just not working for you.  Lvl 15 is nothing. 

IF is not gimp either.  I know it's obviously a low added bonus, but that extra sliver of life can mean the difference between living/playing or sitting the rest of the round out watching from the shadows. 

I really don't find the dynamics of this game as cut and dry as alot of people try and make it out to be.  There is no right answer, there is only your answer.  So I hope you can still feel comfortable to decide what is right for you after being TOLD what is right by half the community playing.

Good luck!

okay, i've been playing as a ninja ever since i started, never gone the tincan way becasue it's more effectiver - iplay as i want.
And this alt is not an attempt to make a great char, i make it cause i want a spartan char, and if i just wanted a good char i would've used other item.

Also, im not looking for 'the' build, but it's nice to hear other peoples opinions and experiences

Offline Kherr

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 10:54:12 am »
cookie cutter build... interesting turning point.
If I look at the scoreboard there are often different persons on top... 1h, 2h, cav, ... depends mainly on map, e.g. cav at city map will be probably not so usefull. My 1h/board is at siege much better than in battle because of the corridors, rooms... its narrow. So on top should be the best skilled player with the best fitting build for a specific map.

I play different builds (2h, 1h/board/throwing, throwing, polearm) because it is fun to play differently. But I want always a viable build. I dont want a 2h who loose all 2h duells. So imho its normal to think about a good build for a specific class. You think about how you want to play and then you choose the build. The "how to play" is very depending on the weapon.

The rl hoplits mainly fighted with spear and shield... if the spear was broken they used the sword. The main formation was the phalanx. Also they used javelines.  (Wikipedia). They used that (build) because it was viable. If we build a hoplite the question is whether the build is viable on m&b maps. But imho it is good to think about the best build for a hoplit if you want to play a hoplit.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 12:45:12 pm »
Hm I think mouse build is decent for a 1h shield but I'm guessing torp joining spartans so they will probably team together so maybe something like this as build would be better:

Strength: 18

Hit points: 53
Converted: 8
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 6
Athletics: 4

One Handed: 145
Polearm: 102

4 athletics is more then enough specially since your going naked so less weight but up to you.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 01:25:31 pm »
I went for the 21/15 build, but instead of maxing IF I got 5 riding and 2 IF. Trade 10 hp for a horse.

7 PS makes most hits a 1 hit kill against infantry (archers for sure). Works quite well :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 01:42:34 pm »
8PS 5 ATHLETIC SHIELD WEAPON MASTER All wpf in 1h. Could work. 24/15
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 01:58:36 pm »
8PS 5 ATHLETIC SHIELD WEAPON MASTER All wpf in 1h. Could work. 24/15

It does work, that's my build. But 5 shield sucks for fighting polearms, can't chase archers, heavy armor slows too much, etc. I suppose it depends on style, being this slow means I often can't get out of the kind of trouble I like to get into. Someone more patient might like it a lot more, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:00:21 pm by Vance »

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 01:59:27 pm »
It does work, that's my build. But I would hope it's not optimal since 5 shield sucks, can't chase archers, heavy armor slows too much, etc. I suppose it depends on style, being this slow means I often can't get out of the kind of trouble I like to get into. Someone more patient might like it a lot more, I guess.

21/18 7ps 6 ath 5 shi 5 wm ?  Or even trade 1 point of shield for weapon master. 4 shield is enough to use huscarl.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:04:16 pm by UrLukur »
"Clava curva pie vinco"