Author Topic: No other way to say it...these new hitboxes are fucking terrible.  (Read 7987 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: No other way to say it...these new hitboxes are fucking terrible.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 03:31:29 am »
I haven't played a lot with the new patch, but I love the concept that weapons don't swing through floors, ground, walls, team mates, doors and all that good stuff.

So far I haven't noticed much 'wonky' or weird shit happening with the hit boxes, obviously going to have to play more.

Question, which role are you guys playing that you notice it so much? I've been playing my 2h so far since the new patch and really haven't noticed much other than the obvious "hey I can't swing through that wall, or that door." and also "Hey, these confined spaces don't do well for me swinging my giant 2h... Wish I had a smaller weapon.." another one being "HEY WTF I CAN'T TURN INTO MY SWINGS TO SWIPE AT YOUR FEET, I JUST END UP HITTING THE GROUND."

Gonna play with it more but really I haven't noticed anything but good things coming from this hit box thing... Was crazy dumb swinging my huge 2h around in tight spaces somehow phasing the blade through the wall and into the enemy by turning into my swings... Pole arm over heads passing through team mates and hitting enemies was also silly.

After more extensive testing, here's what I've found:

1. Hiltslashing seems to be easier to accomplish.

2. Lolstabs are a lot more dangerous.

3. The change seems to REALLY exaggerate the differences between pings. I think this is where a lot of the wonky behavior comes from.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 05:00:44 am »
everything mentioned ITT i have experienced prepatch

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:28 am »
Couple of patches back, Koldborn and me already showed the devs  the arrow shoot thru bug on the duel server.

Devs acknowledged it, and said it wasnt crpg's related, but a native bug.

Nowadays it seems to be effecting everything, even people are able to hit thru blocks/shields sometimes.

Tho.... i realy think the CRPG coding is making it even more worse.

I personally think it has something to do with the servers not registering properly sometimes.

I hope devs will find the solution to the problem soon.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:06:36 am by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 05:40:04 am »
+1
Seriously... what.
Two things were changed in the latest major patch:
1) animation threshold for hitting teammates (i.e. hitting teammates is easier)
2) animation threshold for hitting objects (i.e. hitting objects is easier)
No change whatsoever was made to hitboxes or anything related to regular combat.

This change with the hitboxes though, is fucking awful. One big problem is it causes so much strange behavior. I'm sure that it is compounded by ping differences, but add them both together and it sucks. I constantly have hits that pass right through people or I hit people that are nowhere near my swing. I've even been getting hiltslashed by polearms which has never happened before. Not to mention the fact that I pray no one is even remotely close behind me when I'm swinging long maul overheads.
Previous hitboxes weren't perfect, but now hits going trough people and missed ones registering are not the exception, they seem to be the rule  :lol:
After the patch, seems like I was having this happen alot with lance thrusts from horseback, and overhand 1hander swings - Just for the record
yea literally two mins ago on siege I did an overhead clean through a dudes head and he didnt even flinch, defo wasnt lag or anything either as he wasnt moving

EDIT with a 1 hander btw
Noticed it on duel I must say. And quite a few people were complaining about it in chat at the time.
also noticed this, aswell I found I was glancing some pretty direct hits with 8 ps and a weapon with decent damage
Damage from melee hits seems completely random. 7 PS, a blunt polearm, all hits in mid-swing, more or less the same enemy - sometimes i kill in 1-3 hits, sometimes the other guy survives some 4-5 hits. Also, completely random bounces.
Yeah, pretty random stuff happen now.  :|
Huh And i thought it was just me. Yea hitboxes are wonky they need to majorly fix them.

3. The change seems to REALLY exaggerate the differences between pings. I think this is where a lot of the wonky behavior comes from.

The power of placebo.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:42 am »
Yep  :lol:

Same thing with someone saying "wtf, I feel like I'm running faster" and then ten people saying "OMAGAWD YES ATHLETICS BUFFED I RUN SO FAST"
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 06:04:58 am »
Whatever was changed, animations or hitboxes, its really weird in game. I've had overheads go through people, well-timed thrusts with a polearms bounce of people with low armor and other weird crap. This isn't just one or two people experiencing it, its a lot.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 06:06:15 am »
Overhead hitboxes have always been weird, native problem - it's just more noticeable now that it can actually bounce off of the ground. Polearm thrust has also always been a bit random.

It's same ol' same ol'. People complaining about the other guy using an OP weapon when they die, spamming, hitboxes... Anything that takes the blame off them. And since they heard from a guy who heard it from a guy that hitboxes got changed, well, a wonderful excuse right there!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:08:59 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 06:10:01 am »
+1
hitboxes were fucked up at least 3-4 patches ago.. its still the same, sucky.. get used to it, start abusing animation :D

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:06 am »
Seriously... what.
No change whatsoever was made to hitboxes or anything related to regular combat.

The power of placebo.

I don't know about this particular issue, but I know that every single patch there are large amounts of changes that affect all sorts of things. Changes are not made in isolation so isn't fair to handwave away everyone's concerns so easily. Plus there are never any complete patch notes.

Maybe you think that those 2 animation changes *should* be the only things effecting people getting hit(or not hit), but that doesn't mean something could have happened. We have had unintended effects every single patch, most of the time they get rolled back because they exist because of a mistake.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:53 am »

I've noticed the hiltslashes even with my 1h'er.  Many things that should have bounced actually hit.  And stuff that would normally hit swings right thru ppl.  Whatever they changed its made for some very bad melee'ing.  People walking thru me, my swings phasing thru ppl, etc.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:13 am »
I feel like i am slow as shit ingame, my blocks are mostly late, so it might seem the attack went thru, but before the patch with less wpf and pretty much the same gear my block success ratio was little higher...but i guess when i get used to the new pace of combat i will be fine and sucking just as bad as before  :mrgreen:

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:16 am »
I have no idea why, or is it just a coincidence, but last night I quit playing after my German GS bounced third time in five swings. I have 6PS atm, and this should happen rather rarely. Last night, it was crazy.
Also, I noticed I need a few more hits to kill medium armored people. Are you sure you didn't mess with soak values again?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:33:54 am by Corwinus »
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 10:51:55 am »
Yeah, pretty random stuff happen now.  :|

Ive felt the hitboxes were a bit weird ever since the upkeep patch, but that's just me.
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:05 am »
Seriously... what.

Well than the only other explanation for this imo is lag on the servers and we have be getting allot of that lately.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 11:09:57 am »

Well than the only other explanation for this imo is lag on the servers and we have be getting allot of that lately.

some dev said: if you bounce, you suck... so, most of the playerbase sucks now