Is melee infantry ruining your fun?

Yes
133 (28.8%)
No
131 (28.4%)
I play as Melee Infantry
198 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 461

Author Topic: Is melee infantry ruining your fun? (poll)  (Read 12313 times)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
Re: Is melee infantry ruining your fun? (poll)
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2011, 05:45:06 pm »
2H are the only skilled people in this game :D

wut
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Henry_Broodsonson

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhny3oz3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2011, 02:10:41 am »
Tribalism....a vaccine should be in the pipeline.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2011, 05:25:52 am »
+1
Classes are an illusion.

There are people and tools. People pick the tools that are most useful within a certain context. Overtime this creates popular combinations of tools.

The combinations that are not "naturally" (modeled, labeled, supposedly such and such) useful in a given situation or many situations should not be functionally distorted to perform equally as well as the proper tools.

They will only be distorted to mimic the correct tools functionally and lose their original utility.

When a situation rolls around in which the generally non-useful combinations are actually useful, the distortions imposed upon them will make them ineffective, thus creating a poverty of effective means to accomplish some goal.

In cRPG, the  functionality of different items, weapons, and armor will be be reduced to a bland homogeneity, so that any combination can be equally effective under the average environmental conditions, ie. a small, slightly hilly village (or similarly contoured landscape) with about 50 teammates and 50 enemies. Included in this environment is the gold/xp economy and relevant leveling decisions. Also included is the average players skill, ping, and goals within the game (to get kills, gain gold, help teammates, be a goofball, etc.)

Weapons that excel in such conditions naturally will be nerfed, weapons that do no not will be buffed.

When the environment changes enough (new maps, larger maps, larger battles, smaller battles, different player attitudes) the "balance" will crack, crumble, and dissolve.

:|

This is why "perfect" balance is futile given the diversity and complexity of variables within cRPG as well as its potential for a vast number of different environmental conditions. Strategus is an example of a way that the developers have made the environment even more diverse.

The game will be balanced so long as the environment, in which the combinations of tools (under the control of players) interact, is kept stagnant.

Players concerned about balance will avoid the non-average battles, where the balance has broken down and certain combination are more effective than others (The duel server, for instance). It's rational to do so.

Anyways, in the middle ages (of which this game has a niche in and has traditionally "represented") melee combat was often the more useful combination of tools, and believing that cRPG/m&b represents this (it does to a good extent), players profess their assumptions that melee is what the game is about and that it is more effective.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:41:36 am by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2011, 12:14:35 pm »
i'm a cav and I feel that melee is the main show of the game. Everything else is secondary. Cav is a variation of the melee, since cav also has to get into melee range to fight. The melee system is what makes mount&blade unique, ranged system is the same as every other game.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Savior_of_Death

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 44
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Savior_of_Death
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2011, 12:58:05 pm »
What the fuck am I reading?

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2011, 01:32:26 pm »
Anyone who complains about ranged should just buy a forcefield: they are available in the shop in the Shields section, once you have enough points into them they stop arrows even from directly behind you. Problem solved. I dont own a shield, I have no problem being shot at, if you are aware of the ranged player, he cannot hit you unless you run in easily predictable patterns. Ive been playing M&B since all we could do was kick boxes around, there is no comeback to my comments, save yourself the time and bother: I play all the classes, since last patch 2 of these classes have been changed for the worst: Today the complaints from Nonranged fans are bad, tomorrow they will be worse and worse as every my old friend gets himself a "Rus Bow"....an item that has no parallel in real life...there is no bow that competes with longbow IRL, no nonpiked INF that can take on cavarly IRL, and current game balance is a joke. But getting shot: still a choice you make most of the time. Stop running at archers and they will stop getting easy kills, then you can stop spamming the forums about how shit you are at the class you chose, and Tears can stop making these lolposts to counter your rage. cRPG is like real life: Man up, or fuck off.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2011, 01:52:46 pm »
We all have our  own definition of what this game is.

Some think this is a game to show off you leet millisec hand eye coordination skills, by topping the scoreboard.
If that is your definition ... good luck with that.

Because of the wonky balance and decisions made ,individual performance(KDratio) in cRPG is more like paralympics , people with a major handicap playing alongside people with minor handicap. The KDratio is just the end result, it has correlation with individual skill,but it only tells who got the killing blow. Not how important your contribution was to winning the battle. And that is what matters right? RIGHT?

If you pay more attention to the battle,the epic moments and less attention to the scoreboard you will have a better time is my guess.

The main reason I play Warband , is to simulate taking part in a medieval battle/skirmish.
I want it to be brutal, fast, nonforgiving and at the same time fun.
While mimicking SOME of the realism from that era.

If you feel the odds are stacked against your team, the greater the glory should your team win the battle.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »
Anyone who complains about ranged should just buy a forcefield: they are available in the shop in the Shields section, once you have enough points into them they stop arrows even from directly behind you. Problem solved. I dont own a shield, I have no problem being shot at, if you are aware of the ranged player, he cannot hit you unless you run in easily predictable patterns. Ive been playing M&B since all we could do was kick boxes around, there is no comeback to my comments, save yourself the time and bother:

Grey, you do know that shields in cRPG don't work like in Native, right? The devs reworked them so that only the physical model of the shield protects you, the  "forcefield" is gone. There was a huge hullabaloo about it months ago, but you may be new, so it's forgivable. I think that shield skill does still add to resistance, but there's no forcefield in cRPG, people often get shot around the 30° or so protection the physical model of the shield covers.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:57:40 pm by Kophka »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2011, 02:13:59 pm »
+1
Melee Infantry is ruining my fun if they are on my team.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2011, 09:20:10 pm »
Grey, you do know that shields in cRPG don't work like in Native, right? The devs reworked them so that only the physical model of the shield protects you, the  "forcefield" is gone. There was a huge hullabaloo about it months ago, but you may be new, so it's forgivable. I think that shield skill does still add to resistance, but there's no forcefield in cRPG, people often get shot around the 30° or so protection the physical model of the shield covers.

LOL AND LOL. Forcefields STILL in effect, and I've been playin this since it first went up on MBrep...2 years ago maybe...I dunno, cant remember now.

Now, before you talk shit, do your research: Huscarl shielder with Rightmouse held down CANNOT be shot from infront, with stationary shield, even tho his feet and/or head must be visible at one time or another. SO don't talk rubbish. Shields STILL pull arrows off course and into them, you cannot deny what can be proved in seconds. I bet you would still believe in Santa if you were told he excists. Grow up.

Also, dont talk about native, native classes are balanced, and fixed stats. BALANCED. By proffesionals. So there's no OP class. It's an intresting idea, huh?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2011, 09:23:40 pm »
+1
Also, dont talk about native, native classes are balanced, and fixed stats. BALANCED. By proffesionals. So there's no OP class. It's an intresting idea, huh?

lmao, not sure if trolling

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:51 pm »
This thread made me go "Waaaa" 'derpface'

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:24 pm »
lmao, not sure if trolling

pretty troll tbh: native is a crazy game tbh, but it has its good points: Sideswinging Streetsweeper known as Bamboo spear for example, and stat setups are pretty fun.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2011, 09:49:30 pm »
hrm..
strange thread. I like strange. I have three alts. Only thing I didnt play much is cav, becouse I suck at riding more then in anything else.

So what me thinks:

Infantry is the meat of the game.
I enjoy infantry melee battles when hords of warriors clash upon each other on the front line. Yikes me likes!

Ranged is the spice.
As long, as some ranged sniper is hidden somwhere you can never feel save. This is good. And I like stalking around and aiming on unsuspecting infantry - but its a dangerous game - and I hate to have to run away. But thats the price of range.

Cavallry is the fishbone. No one likes it - and you can die on it quickly. But we need some we can hate, dont we? (But cav is good to watch in deathcam... damn it, riding just looks cool)

If you call me trolling now, maybe you are right.
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:00:01 pm by Eugen »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2011, 11:02:32 pm »
As a polearm GLA spammer i voted yes, we all need nerfs.
(click to show/hide)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login