Author Topic: Polearms....  (Read 6366 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Polearms....
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 11:00:46 pm »
Like I said, I'm not attached to the polestun mechanic, because in 1v1 it provides zero benefit unless you have a Masterwork Spear and 180 wpf or something

I can see that you haven't dueled a decent polearmer yet who can make use of the polestun.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 11:14:50 pm »
I can see that you haven't dueled a decent polearmer yet who can make use of the polestun.

The only way someone can get a "free hit" in a duel using polestun is by using a fast, non-knockdown pole (Spear, for instance), hitting you in the head, and hoping that it triggers the full 1s stagger animation.

See Walt's post on WPF affect on swing speed. Only non-knockdown weapon data points below 1s could possibly allow a free hit, which is basically Spear >140 WPF.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2531.0.html

And even then, it's a 50% chance, and only on blows to the head. Torso is 50% chance for 0.8s stagger i believe, at least this is what Paul hinted.

In a realistic scenario, the guy probably has a MW Bec and is wearing armor, for a swing speed in the 1.075s range. MAYBE with turning into the swing+lag, he could get a free-hit on the stagger, but again, only on a blow to the head. If you are letting someone smack you in the head with a Bec during a duel, you're going to lose regardless.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:47 pm »
The only way someone can get a "free hit" in a duel using polestun is by using a fast, non-knockdown pole (Spear, for instance), hitting you in the head, and hoping that it triggers the full 1s stagger animation.

See Walt's post on WPF affect on swing speed. Only non-knockdown weapon data points below 1s could possibly allow a free hit, which is basically Spear >140 WPF.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2531.0.html

And even then, it's a 50% chance, and only on blows to the head. Torso is 50% chance for 0.8s stagger i believe, at least this is what Paul hinted.

In a realistic scenario, the guy probably has a MW Bec and is wearing armor, for a swing speed in the 1.075s range. MAYBE with turning into the swing+lag, he could get a free-hit on the stagger, but again, only on a blow to the head. If you are letting someone smack you in the head with a Bec during a duel, you're going to lose regardless.

Ever seen polestun -> sidestep -> unblockable hit? Or even polestun -> sidestep -> kick -> ublockable hit? Guess not.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 11:24:45 pm »
Ever seen polestun -> sidestep -> unblockable hit? Or even polestun -> sidestep -> kick -> ublockable hit? Guess not.
Those are able to fill my rage meter very quickly. I don't think the devs have any possibilities to modify polestun yet, if they have they better remove it quickly.

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »
glaive is 90 speed..... so evidently thats his standard of a polearm too fast
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:15 am »
Polestun is possible of netting a free hit, by use of footwork you can make the swing hit earlier in the swing or run around your target whilst staggered and they cannot turn around to block fast enough. You don't need to be an agi whore either, I did this on a level 23 cav character with low athletics and wpf.

Perhaps a good pole balance would be to slow down the speed of walking backwards after back walking for 5 seconds? Would not nerf footwork but would nerf constant back pedallers.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:07:17 am by CaptainQuantum »

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:10 am »
so your problem is with back peddlers not polearms
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2011, 12:10:08 am »
When combined with a polearm yes, it's not really doable for kills without a long weapon. It makes manual blocking a lot easier and makes normal assessment of range null. And my problem with poles is polestun ofc, which is why I raged so much when they said they were to lazy to do something about it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:12:43 am by CaptainQuantum »

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2011, 01:16:53 am »
Polearms and 2handers are balanced imo. Although polearm has a longer list of good points, 2h is still just as good. Polearms are sod easy to block. If you cant block a stab, its your own fault. Polearms are very obvious as to their dierction of an attack due to their length etc. If you boil it down 2h is good because you can manage to distort your avatars body into impossible shapes, while attacking. I switched onto 2h on my alt and i have less problems with tough opponents because I found how to throw a few spins and mislead them into blocking the wrong direction. Swinging though walls doesnt happen exclusively with polearms so that point is invalid.

After spamming a LHB like a pro for a long time(and you eu guys know how profficient i was with that) and now trying 2h, I personally find them equal. No nerfs needed imo. Its not an opinion with much support and I think most people will agree with you mulas, but hey, its just my 2 cents.

Quotes of muffins thoughts on balance.
It is balanced. Apart from now with htorses and ranged but havent seen the impacts of that yet, so i dunno about them atm.

Oh and phyrex says somethins op means its op does it? Phyrex the famous lolstabber who plays 2h always.
Ive had my main char as 1h,2h and pole(pole longest though) anf I can state they have pros and cons but all weigh up to being balanced.
Removing polestun is a silly idea, its part of game balance. If you remove polestun i demmand that 2h animation is changed so you cant dance like a ballerina and make it so you cant lolstab. Its only fair.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline comikal

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Comikal
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2011, 03:17:15 am »
As an archer with 6 PS, 57 wpf and a shortened spear, I'd have to say that polestun is how I get a majority of my (melee) kills. Also, the 102 speed means I can attack even when someone has already started pulling back their weapon. If they get stunned, that's a free stab I get and a sidestep.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2011, 01:18:55 pm »
Nah, polestun IS complete bullshit imo, call it part of the game if you want - but I just think it's borked.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2011, 01:48:52 pm »
I see everyone stating that polearms are so easy to block, am I really the only one who find 2h much easier to block? Might be just my knowledge of 2h which gives me a better understanding of the tricks they are trying to do.

What I dislike about polearm animations is that they seem faster than 2h animations of the same speed, I seem to be the only one who thinks that too.

And also that the polearm bounces back into a position that looks like a chambered attack after I block, which makes it very hard to tell if the user is doing a double attack or that it is just the bounce back that I'm seeing.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2011, 02:00:37 pm »
Nah, polestun IS complete bullshit imo, call it part of the game if you want - but I just think it's borked.

I'm surprised you said that as a dedicated polearmer :D

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:10 pm »
I'm surprised you said that as a dedicated polearmer :D

Why? Because he plays polearmer he can't be reasonable? What are you? a GK disguised as a fallen?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:10 pm »
+1
Why? Because he plays polearmer he can't be reasonable? What are you? a GK disguised as a fallen?

It was a compliment to Dezilagel for being able to look at his own class objectively, a not so common trait in this community.