Author Topic: Canceling draw when jumping  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: Canceling draw when jumping
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2011, 12:53:30 am »
i have a kind of greatsword made by a local smith. is not keen but is made with the blade in stainless steel, iron hilt, iron grip covered by several layers of synthetic leather. weights about 1.7 kilograms and is 118 centimeters long. sometimes i go in the garden random swinging around. today i tried to jump forward and side slash. is possible BUT you can't stop the swing mid air (i think it's because you need waist force together with firm legs on the ground). doing a overhead jumping is easy. swinging sides is a bit weird but doable... without stopping it (like unbalanced weapons) and the thrust is comfortable BUT in the landing part. thrusting in the first part of the jump feel a bit stupid.

i don't have a cam so don't troll me about "no proof".

I believe you have tried all that, but now think how it would be with an enemy who blocks your hit or you really aiming for someone and the guy dodging so you just miss. Hitting through the air is one thing. But aiming for something and then not hitting cause of a dodging target is something completely different. I know what I'm talking about as I'm doing martial arts for more than 12 years now.

Hard to explain everything on my mind in English, can't we just speak German?^^
If you jump and a person blocks your hit, all your energy is stopped or redirected to another direction. As you are midair, you have no ground to get a stable position, means you are like a ball getting a hit midair. You change your direction and the chance you land on your feet without stumbling or falling is very small in that case. ---> makes it more or less impossible to use that in a fight ;)

What happens when you jump and hit with all your power and your target is just ducking under your swing so it continues, you can figure our yourself^^

Fact is, jumphitting might be possible, but it is useless and not doable while fighting

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2011, 01:03:34 am »
i really dont see why this change was made or why ppl rage so much about it, havnt changed enything

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:47 am »
I believe you have tried all that, but now think how it would be with an enemy who blocks your hit or you really aiming for someone and the guy dodging so you just miss. Hitting through the air is one thing. But aiming for something and then not hitting cause of a dodging target is something completely different. I know what I'm talking about as I'm doing martial arts for more than 12 years now.

Hard to explain everything on my mind in English, can't we just speak German?^^
If you jump and a person blocks your hit, all your energy is stopped or redirected to another direction. As you are midair, you have no ground to get a stable position, means you are like a ball getting a hit midair. You change your direction and the chance you land on your feet without stumbling or falling is very small in that case. ---> makes it more or less impossible to use that in a fight ;)

What happens when you jump and hit with all your power and your target is just ducking under your swing so it continues, you can figure our yourself^^

Fact is, jumphitting might be possible, but it is useless and not doable while fighting

well with my past in Ju-Jitsu (Go-Ju style. even more sensible to weight shifts) i partially agree. but we're talking about men ranging from 70 to 100 kilograms wearing 20-40 kilograms of armor and weapons. So the inertia of a 90-140 kilograms object falling towards you (with gravity aid), is not exactly a "ball" you can deflect, like a middle-aged 55 kilograms jujitsu instructor dressed in cotton lashing you a mawashi-geri.

leverages and similar stuff applies to certain situations... this is not one of em. and i should know too how to use the opponent kinetic energy to my own advantage. almost all the ju-jitsu throws works that way. (specially in go-ju)

i really dont see why this change was made or why ppl rage so much about it, havnt changed enything

read the last 2-3 pages... we were talking about something to balance the archer jumpshooting nerf with some tweaking on the jumpslash system.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:03:12 am by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2011, 03:10:41 am »
Just ridiculous. Just remove archery if you hate it so much.  :mad:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2011, 07:32:15 am »
As far as I know, the ATS servers and the "nonofficial ones" still let you jump and shoot/draw.