Author Topic: On Speed  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
On Speed
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:49:51 pm »
+13
 I remember when we had epic slow motion battles.

No, I don't mean the fighting was slow- it was fast. Faster than it is now, faster than native. It made everything count. To win against an equally skilled opponent, you had to play a perfect game- to line up all your blocks in fractions of a second and launch an offensive based on instinct.

Sure, this sounds like nostalgia from an older player, but you know what? I took a gander on a native duel server last night, and the pace was faster. There were more epic moments frozen in time- moments that actually raised my heart rate up a little. And, yes, I know, increasing the pace of the game would bring a return to more 'spam', but, if there's anything I've learned about this game, it's that you're only spammed because you allow yourself to be.

It made me realize that combat in cRPG these days is played like a chess-game- and the length of a single fight is only limited by the impatience of it's participants. I mean, I've been in a freakin' fifteen minute duel. It's lost that frenetic pace that managed to loosely conjure the feel and exhilaration of physical competition- something that few games can achieve.

Ultimately, I agree with the reasons that slowed cRPG down. For starters, it's a lot easier for new players to learn the game, and the slower pace evens the playing field for many since we've moved away from our Flash-like speeds. It's just that...I can't get over the fact that it's just not as much fun as it could be at a faster pace. I'd love to see the developers raising the speed bar just a little bit- to about native levels, if not cRPG's previous time-defying levels.

However, another advantage to the slower speed is that the ping difference isn't as big a deal as it used to be. Gah. There are plenty of reasons for the speed to be the way it is, and only one reason for it to be faster: my personal pleasure.

I'm curious to see how many others share a desire for a faster pace.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
Re: On Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:55:01 pm »
IIRC native units units have 150 or so wpf, and cRPG server are on medium speed, while the Native one is probably on fast, but yes I do feel clumsier today than before.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 05:08:42 pm »
+1
I have changed my stance on this one - I agree with you.

Not because of the "fun" back in the days, but because of the average player skill now.

Alot of ppl are becoming very good, and the average player can now block most peoples feints with ease.

I think c-rpg is ready for this.

Edit: Also: The "top" duelists are now mostly 70 + armor plate monsters. Proves that speed is too low imo.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:19:23 pm by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »
+2
I'm a terrible melee player, hence my love of courser bundle of sticksry. And so, one might expect me to oppose this suggestion. However, I do very much agree with Kalam's comparison of cRPG to chess--its slow, and if you do everything right a duel can take a long time. Higher speed might reward the more skilled players by pushing the current limitation of (speed) back a little, and thus allowing the most skilled among us room to  be better.

"I think c-rpg is ready for this."

This change would rape me, as I am unskilled. However, my anus is ready.jpg.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:40:25 pm »
Actually i also would increase weaponspeed 2-3 points for each weapon.
Give the archers a bit shotspeed back so they dont feel left out.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:55:23 pm »
Why not? It would be interesting to see the results.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:11:34 pm »
+2
So, basically move the melee from guessing what your enemy will do and how to counter it (spam/held attacks/chamberblocking) to what it was some time ago, where melee is about abusing ping differences and fast weapons to make your opponent unable to block? Mhhhh...

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:59:00 am »
+2
Just make agi + wpf do more on a better curve.  That way the str users remain slow, the balanced builds get faster and the lol agi-spammers can really look retarded (but glance off everything).  Just my op though.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:04:25 am »
+2
I miss the old Agility-heavy ninja that would zip around slicing and dicing. Agility needs a boost, too many strength-builds right now!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1015
  • Infamy: 735
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:38:39 am »
I have average ping but it goes up and down a lot (55-75). If you make it like before upkeep I'll just go back to board and sword :(

Edit: Also Kalam, best 2H players on EU1 don't duel forever, they have crazy feints, footwork and know perfect moment when to strike. So it must some NA issue.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:40:55 am by Leshma »

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 11:57:24 am »
I came up with this like half a year ago. Been three times in total ....

Ppl just dont know or cant remember the awesome of everything that was prejanuary :-)

But hey...ping diff. / slow old mens excusses bla / blabla more silly stuff.... are good counters to a faster gamespeed... :-)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 02:36:43 pm »
I actually agree with this, and I suck at blocking and stuff. I would have no issue with it because I liked the faster pace of the game. How it's achieved I don't know. Whether by raising server speed or weapon stats ect...

But I seem to remember the devs disagreed with increasing the pace because of the ping difference arguments and they wanted it to be more skill based rather than luck based. Something like that anyway.

So I doubt it will happen.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:38:57 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »
+2
I would be a little reluctant as I've struggled with crappy pings since february. On sunday moving to my new connection in warsaw though.. 60mbit cable should be OK and around 40 ping.

And I hover between 57-68 ping weak wireless depending on server load. A missed packet can be death.
The way I see it, increased speed would be fine for those <50 ping. People above that would experience randomness.
Besides, this mod has become very hardcore and difficult for new players, and after all, they are the future. :)

As gorath says, a litte extra wpf for AGI chars would be welcome :)

Also, I don't see anything wrong in setting up EU4 or another duel server to higher speeds.

High speed should be an option, not be forced down on people with bad ping and new players.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »
I have average ping but it goes up and down a lot (55-75). If you make it like before upkeep I'll just go back to board and sword :(

Edit: Also Kalam, best 2H players on EU1 don't duel forever, they have crazy feints, footwork and know perfect moment when to strike. So it must some NA issue.

I'm in the same boat, in the sense that ping shifts between 50-70 throughout the day, and for the most part, I believe that's enough.

For the record, our duelists usually do the same thing, but if one chooses to play conservatively (ahem, SaulCanner duels, cough) and the other follows, it can last long.

Also, I believe the devs have mentioned that raising speed settings on cRPG doesn't do anything.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:05:21 pm by Kalam »

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »
I have to agree, I'm a very impatient player in CRPG these days, which is hard since if you really want to win the rounds - as infantry - you have to wait for Cav & Ranged to duke it out before you can move it, depending on map of course. That means I'm usually charging into a lot of people (I like fighting multiple opponents though because fighting one guy where we block for ages is pretty dull).

The thing about heart-rate, I'm totally on the same track, haven't had my heart-rate raise in a duel for a long long time because usually everyone is just doing some sort of trick, spinning, running around in a circle, lucky spams, or whatever, to try and psych out the other opponent, the slower speed of the game has definitely decreased the amount of pure instinct and skill needed, now there's more trickery and deceit instead.

Personally I say screw people (in the least offensive way possible :P) who have bad ping, why should the rest of us suffer because some people can't afford proper Internet or live in a 3rd World Country where proper Internet isn't available, it is pretty hard to fathom why the rest has to be punished for that, it would be the same as saying everyone in a specific sport would have to use the exact same accessories, or that now everyone would have to play Tennis in bare feet because John Doe can't afford proper shoes. The closest resemblance would probably be Handicap from Golf, basically people's handicap (bad Internet) shouldn't effect the rest of us.

Now when we're splitting up NA and EU let's revert these changes!
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!