Author Topic: how to compensate for #($@'ed up 2h animations  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Rendar1970

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
how to compensate for #($@'ed up 2h animations
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:40:10 am »
I currently mostly play as 1H no shield guy.  I do well against/hold my own against sword&boarders, 1h'ers, poles.  However I die, every time, to 2H'ers. 

When I die to 2H'ers, i would say 9/10 times its from magically being killed by an overhand swing that missed by a mile, but while the sword is coming back up to rest at neutral, they turn, and somehow this kills you.

Or they stab, miss by a mile, and as the sword is retracting back towards them to rest and neutral, they turn and you magically get stabbed.

Is there some trick to avoiding this since its obvious that they are never going to change the animations.  Im pretty sure most 2H'ers know about this and use those moves just because of this bullshit ability to kill even though they missed.

I made a STF character with a claymore, and tested it.  I played a few rounds only doing overhands, and steering my misses into people.  The amount of kills I got from this was epic in number. 

So any way around this? an animation mod? devs EVER going to fix it?

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Re: how to compensate for #($@'ed up 2h animations
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:49:43 am »
+1
Go to duel server and learn to read the 2h anims.

Also watch out for the lolstab, which it seems you have been the victim of.

It's a kind of combo of at least 3 advantages for the 2h.

1. Range, the stab has much greater range than his swings.

2. Movement. While moving away by turning, he don't loose any ground speed, and can come back faster and close than if he backwalked. (This also adds speed bonus to the stab, and many people chase the turning 2h giving double speed bonus to his damage.

3. Obfuscating the thrust animation, which becomes very hard to see when he moves. Some people add a wiggle to it so it becomes very hard to see when he releases.

*(some people look down and bends the character while doing it, hiding the release animation from your view..)
*(Also, there is a "bug" in thrust animations, if you swing into the enemy late in the animation after you released, u can hit him for full power even if you should be close enough for it to be a glance. This also goes for the lolpike i.ex)

So watch out for it, look at how the stab animation starts and be aware of it. :) People practice this shit on duel servers all day..  The easy counter is to downblock until you hear it hit, just like how many shielders deal with feints.

Go duel!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:53:46 am by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:22:01 am »
I'm pretty good at reading the lolstab but that overhead bullshit gets me all the time.  I know how you feel in that regard.  They'll completely miss me...the weapon will be in the damn ground for fuck's sake...then they turn a little and suddenly I'm dead.  Guess we'll both have to work on blocking that rather than trying to dodge it.  (I play a two-hander most of the time yet I've never actively tried to pull that stunt off--your success at performing it on-demand has inspired me to give it a whirl though.)
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:59:10 am »
I currently mostly play as 1H no shield guy.  I do well against/hold my own against sword&boarders, 1h'ers, poles.  However I die, every time, to 2H'ers. 

When I die to 2H'ers, i would say 9/10 times its from magically being killed by an overhand swing that missed by a mile, but while the sword is coming back up to rest at neutral, they turn, and somehow this kills you.

Or they stab, miss by a mile, and as the sword is retracting back towards them to rest and neutral, they turn and you magically get stabbed.

Is there some trick to avoiding this since its obvious that they are never going to change the animations.  Im pretty sure most 2H'ers know about this and use those moves just because of this bullshit ability to kill even though they missed.

I made a STF character with a claymore, and tested it.  I played a few rounds only doing overhands, and steering my misses into people.  The amount of kills I got from this was epic in number. 

I believe it's been mentioned that you should block until you hear a block connect: always do this.  One of the things that has always gotten me with the stabs and overheads is thinking, "Oh, they missed, so I'll take my turn".  What's happening here is that this animation (bug?) is fooling you into thinking, "Hey, it's my turn," when in reality the other player's turn is not yet finished.  It's a very common paradigm, "I go, you go," and most duels are won by blurring the lines between your turn and mine, so make sure that my turn is over before you leap into your turn.

Unless, of course, you're sure you can outswing your opponent and cancel that animation before it hits you.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:59:59 am »
Yeah, I'm not gonna cry serverlag, but there's occassions where you'll land a hit on somebody, and there's a serious 1-2 second delay on their reaction.  I guess I never thought too much about the ability to apply the concept of a lolstab to a loloverhead, but I'm really not surprised haha.  Would explain a ton of times I've gotten killed and merely blamed it on server lag.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:15 am »
Current 2h (and pole) animations are retarded but also (for me) the easiest to read and block. Personally I'd substitute them with the more compact, more realistic attacks Papa Lazarous provided but I think a lot people don't like them and would rage. They like it retarded.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 11:57:23 am »
So you dont want to substitute animation because of whiners? :? Terrible.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:44:01 pm »
+1
Current 2h (and pole) animations are retarded but also (for me) the easiest to read and block. Personally I'd substitute them with the more compact, more realistic attacks Papa Lazarous provided but I think a lot people don't like them and would rage. They like it retarded.
Well, some of the Papa Lazarous animations are also truly retarded, but you aren't going to listen to the people right? Just implement them, show em who's boss. Just like with the nerfing of the katana.  8-)

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 08:46:12 pm »
+1

The goblin bow animation for archers is f'kin perfect in terms of awesomeness and realism.....

NOT

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:04:03 pm »
The goblin bow animation for archers is f'kin perfect in terms of awesomeness and realism.....

NOT
Pray, tell me. How DO one draw a bow?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 10:20:08 pm »

The overhead thing works with every weapon.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »
The overhead thing works with every weapon.

SSssh!! dont tell em
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 11:06:24 pm »

NOT

goblin archers ftw

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 01:34:17 am »
+1
If I would know how, I would not post here :D. 2 handers might be the ultimate dueling class, but in the battlefield they have their weaknesses too. I have not played with pure 2H build yet, only a few hybrid builds. Just not my style to play I think and I will most likely never do a pure 2H. I like polearms more. The thing to counter 2 handers is to be a better player than they are. Have you ever seen SeaRaider_Tor kick some ass on duelserver, or well.... in any server? It does not matter who he fights against, he will kill and he is a polearm user like myself (I only wish I could be that good too).

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Quallen

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kill Cult
  • Game nicks: KC_Quallen
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »
As Xant said you can turn into any weapons attacks and do this.  I know its not logical to think you need to block when someone starts an overhead that's pointed 90 degrees away from you but its just something you have to get used to and force yourself into.  By force of habit it will eventually become natural to do so.

While we're talking about fucked up 2h animations though someone please explain how the new slow thrust animation is better than the fast and straight forward native one.  New players dieing to 360 darkfall whirlwind stabs is just another annoying level of illogical that players have to learn to defend.  I guess at least its finally worthy of its name.