Author Topic: Build for heavy throwing axe + shield  (Read 2097 times)

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Build for heavy throwing axe + shield
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:09 pm »
I'm looking to do the most dmg with throwing lances while still being able to defend myself in melee situations. What build should i be looking at for this? I had a thread i found this set-up on originally but now i can't find it at all. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:06:36 am by LAGIACRUS »

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
Re: Build for throwing lances
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »
+1
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html

Should be some good info in this thread on a multitude of builds.

21/15 is a good build for throwing, especially if you want to hybridize with throwing and a melee prof.

7 power strike
5 athletics
7 power throw
5 weapon mastery

5 points left over for shield/riding/IF

I'd probably split wpf evenly between throwing and your melee wpf

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:01:21 pm by Sammael »

Offline Shinobi

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:20:09 am »
I´m using 21/17 right now. (21/18 at lvl 31)
If you can handle no shield this might be something for you.

7 powerstrike
5 athletics (6 at lvl 31)
7 powerthrow
5 weapon master (6 at lvl 31)

polearm 126 (+ at lvl 31)
Throwing 92 (+ at lvl 31)

I can only use light armor to not get hit with the wp reduction, (making it impossible to pick up the ammo and nurfing dmg ets). 

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:04:28 pm »
The problem with lances is that you really need to be 1-shotting people for them to be worth taking over, say, jarids or hvy axes. unfortunately to do that you need 8+ PT. with 8 PT you either have to put little/ no wpf in other proficiency OR wear peasant gear.

As such, I would strongly reccomend you get a shield and go for 24/12 with 8 Ps/PT with 4 shield, ath and Wm. you might be able to wear some light armor, but you'll have to figure it out on the wpf split. Even with 8 PT you will rarely 1-shot anybody with medium or higher armor, and with only 4 lances and slow movement you will go down rly fast and get frustrated at your lack of effectiveness.

As far as I can figure out, the only really effective way to make throwing work is to take a shield and 9 axes and play as a 1-hander with ranged capabilities. I really don't rate naked pure throwers with 16 spears. They may be fun to mess about with for a bit but I just can't see them being a viable playstyle as a main. too situational, too restricted by the ridiculous PT/Wpf requirement.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline LAGIACRUS

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 05:06:18 am »
Okay, if i wanted to go throwing heavy axe + sheild, what build would i use for that? would i want a seconed different 1 hander?

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
Re: Build for heavy throwing axe + shield
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »
30/12 pure throwers build.
i owned as an motherfucker just by stickin with ur teammates.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:19:25 pm »
Okay, if i wanted to go throwing heavy axe + sheild, what build would i use for that? would i want a seconed different 1 hander?

Throwing axes aren't very good anymore since they do cut and cut is worthless against armour now. You'll find yourself unable to kill plated dudes unless you have 9 or 10pt. (never do 10pt, doesn't work anymore). I have 9 and even at nine it takes 4 or 5 to kill most plate dudes. Since they fly so slow and are so easy to dodge, you usually don't get a chance to put more then one into them, two if you're lucky. Then you die.

It's a shame because I really like heavy throwing axes. I'd say try hammers but they're ungodly heavy. The higher tier pierce stuff is expensive and very hard to upkeep, but it's the only weapons that you can bring and not have there be people you can't kill.

Whatever you do, athletics is much more important then it used to be. I used to go the pure throwing build, 30/9-12, but it's not as effective anymore. I'll be retiring soon to work up to a minimum of 5 athletics. 3 doesn't cut it when every dude in plate can prance around and dodge projectiles like a ballet student.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:52:17 am »
Throwing axes aren't very good anymore since they do cut and cut is worthless against armour now. You'll find yourself unable to kill plated dudes unless you have 9 or 10pt. (never do 10pt, doesn't work anymore). I have 9 and even at nine it takes 4 or 5 to kill most plate dudes. Since they fly so slow and are so easy to dodge, you usually don't get a chance to put more then one into them, two if you're lucky. Then you die.

It's a shame because I really like heavy throwing axes. I'd say try hammers but they're ungodly heavy. The higher tier pierce stuff is expensive and very hard to upkeep, but it's the only weapons that you can bring and not have there be people you can't kill.

Whatever you do, athletics is much more important then it used to be. I used to go the pure throwing build, 30/9-12, but it's not as effective anymore. I'll be retiring soon to work up to a minimum of 5 athletics. 3 doesn't cut it when every dude in plate can prance around and dodge projectiles like a ballet student.

heavy axes will outdmg pierce throwing weapons up to somewhere around 50+ armor.  So axe anyone in mail or lower
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:26:37 am by Digglez »

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
Re: Build for heavy throwing axe + shield
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:25:21 am »
Throwing lances are visually lame now, they may be better quality then previous throwing lances, but they look lame.