Poll

Superior class?

2h
Polearm

Author Topic: 2h vs Polearm  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 2h vs Polearm
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 06:59:13 pm »
Nice, nice, what do you think what build is better 21/18 or 18/21 both are called balance builds in solid builds thread but one is more agi based and another is more power/hp based?
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 03:06:53 pm »
Nice, nice, what do you think what build is better 21/18 or 18/21 both are called balance builds in solid builds thread but one is more agi based and another is more power/hp based?
These days 21/18 is fine. I had 18/21 last gen and switched to 18/21. I do not notice much of a difference in speed, but you just one shot people a little more.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 04:40:15 pm »
Polearms have an amazing right slash. Somehow it tends to hiltslash automagically and hit instantly even though it looks like it didn't hit properly. Their left slash, on the other hand, has a bigger tendency to bounce on facehug distance, so it kind of evens out.

It's funny seeing Teeth say how he's gonna go polearms when he was whining about 2h nonstop when he was using a polearm. Grass is always greener on the other side...
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 09:29:41 pm »
Polearms have another notable disadvantage: the longer polearms (glaive, long bardiche, etc) are very dangerous to sideswing around teammates. They have a very large arc (with the tip of the polearm actually starting slightly behind you). This almost forces you to stick to overheads and thrusts in tight groups.

When doing overheads, the backswing can also ruin teammates, so you have to watch for that too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:19:29 am by Vodner »

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 09:34:06 pm »
These days 21/18 is fine. I had 18/21 last gen and switched to 18/21. I do not notice much of a difference in speed, but you just one shot people a little more.
well.... :lol:

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 01:59:00 am »
Ive heard something about polearm animations hitting before 2h animations, but i cant remember where. Which that could explain why it is nearly impossible, to do any kind of tricks/ swing combos against them.

Anyway

polearm= can stun to death, can go suppert and be cav.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 02:07:25 am »
+1
Ive heard something about polearm animations hitting before 2h animations, but i cant remember where.

Sounds like a reliable source.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
It's funny seeing Teeth say how he's gonna go polearms when he was whining about 2h nonstop when he was using a polearm. Grass is always greener on the other side...
Oh yeah that is true. But back then 2h was clearly superior, with the german's 30p stab with superspeed and range. Now it's more evened out, the difference is subtle. I am not convinced that polearms are better than 2h, thats why I should try it.

well.... :lol:
What does that mean?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:33:44 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline Quallen

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kill Cult
  • Game nicks: KC_Quallen
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 06:24:01 pm »
+2
Kafein and Rangerbob already covered it pretty well but I'll take my own shot at it.

2h have the best generalized dueling weapon in the game (longsword/heavy bastard sword.) Given the dueling swords raw ability (speed and stab reach) there should always be some talented users on the field (you can make arguments for some other 2h as well) but in general the majority of players should be using polearms due to their extreme utility.

Polearms have: Balanced shield breakers, the superior can opener, the long spear, the ability to overhead through teammates, and the ever popular polearm stun.

The only real challenge for polearms is internalizing your weapons true reach.  If you aren't using the long spear then just remember that all 2h that can stab get to alpha strike.
(click to show/hide)

It was mentioned that for lone wolf play 18/21 with a 2h is great but I would submit that 18/21 with a bec is just as good and so long as you can stick near a couple clanmates (yours or any clans) who are working together the utility of polearms makes them superior.  The sooner you stop being mad about all the great perks polearms have and accept them the sooner you can build some truly scary group compositions that mix all the great perks of polearms with a few scary swordsmen.