Poll

Superior class?

2h
Polearm

Author Topic: 2h vs Polearm  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
2h vs Polearm
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:35:47 pm »
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both, is for example polearm better for battle and 2h for duel? Why yes or no?
In my opinion some polearms are faster than 2h swords with same speed, is it true?
What builds work well for 2h or polearm class?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:37:53 pm by Karmazyn »
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
Re: 2h vs Polearm
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:05:55 pm »
Where is the option for "even"?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 843
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:09:49 pm »
Polearms are gey and boring, 2h sword are cool.

/thread

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:43 pm »
Pro's of 2h:
-Very high range stab
-Are obviously great looking
-Have more confusing animations
-Are much longer than polearms with the same length

Pro's of polearm
-Are faster than 2h's with the same speed
-Have versatility, pike and lance
-Have higher damage stabs and swings for the top tier, also the stab, when stabbed in succesion, is much faster than the 2h stab
-Stop horses
-Polestun

Damn I should go polearm next gen, I have been 2h for 2,5 generations now, being 2 generations of polearm before that.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2559
  • Infamy: 559
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:28:16 pm »
I'm bored to death using this Long Hafted Blade. I'm not sure will I make it to lvl 31, it's so damn boring. They might be superior to 2H (they are indead fast) but I'll never use poles again.

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:47:17 pm »
I found polearms really hard to use after using 2h, because its alot harder to get kills against decent blockers as the faints are easily followed,plus it also felt to me tht the blocking animation felt a bit delayed compared to 2h which took a while to get use to,however they did hit harder and majority are longer.Id go for 2h
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:50:13 pm »
I agree that 2h just sort off feel better than polearms. Still I rather fight 2h's than polearms, I always get hiltslashed and double attacked by polearms, I don't know why but I just suck against them. Thats probably why I tend to think that polearms are a lot better, while it might just be me.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 12:23:23 am »
Most of all, polearms are very versatile thanks to the wide range of weapon types and that is what makes them so good.

2H are better in melee duels on foot.

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:35:18 am »
2h are fun, polearms are boring with exception of spears :)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 01:27:27 am »
2h are fun, polearms are boring with exception of spears :)
Which sadly is so much worse than the gay-ass poleaxes. I love my warpsear but It's too slow with a shield and without it, you could just as easily use another polearm :( No love for the hoplites.

One thing that hasn't been said is that 2handers have a bigger "sweet spot" in their animations and thus glance less/do more damage at "early animation hit".
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:54:49 am »
I think they're balanced enough, but polearms can stop horses, and have stun. They also strike normal where my 2h would glance like a wooden stick. I've hit people straight up with the hafted blade and the bec while they were almost behind me to the side where the swing started. And I don't even use polearm prof. But I do agree that 2h animations are harder to block, especially the thrust.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 02:24:47 am »
+1
Polearms are varied. With polearm wpf you can bring the best shield crusher, the best anticav weapon, the best tincan opener, the best horseback weapon etc.

2h on the other hand are not that varied. You have a crapload of swords (each with it's subtle pro's and con's), a few axes and a few maces. As you might have guessed, the swords are the best choice.

But the problem of polearms is that all these weapons are themselves very specialized. You can't break shields with a pike or go on horseback with a bec (okay it's possible but hardly viable). The DGS and GGS don't have these problems. They excel at duelling and are good for everything else, be it anticav, tincan opening or fighting shielders.

That's why 2h allmost never take anything more than one weapon, and polearmers usually take two.

I will not risk myself at comparing the damage and speeds of 2h and polearms. You can see everything and the contrary happen due to weapon and build diversity so I'd say they are globally the same.

The ability of polearms (sometimes 2h do that too) to protect teammates from your own overhead slashes is balanced with the fact that side swings of 2h go through teammates way easier than polearm side swings (animations).

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 04:42:36 am »
Noes classical cRPG drama thread ! QQ
Both of them have it's own advantages.
My opinion:
Polearms are more useful on battles (Public,Clan Battles and Strat Battles.)
They have polestun so even if you don't kill your enemy you create a great opportunity to your teammate to finish your target off.

That's the only reason i say Polearms are better .
+ Thats the only reason i use polearm instead of 2h =)

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:57:09 am »
2 handers have better animations and glance far less.  If you hit an enemy with the shaft of your weapon as a polearm its almost always gonna be a glance.  2handers can hilt slash meaning as long as they're in range you'll hit them and probably do full damage.  The 2 hander animation starts around 115 degrees while the polearm animation starts close to 145 2 handers glance alot less on people beside them and build up swing speed faster. 

2 handers also have much better range than polearms of the same length.  The stab is an amazing + 80 reach and the left and right swings give you around + 10 range.

Polearms have pole stun which is BS and pikes/longspears.  The polearm animations are terrible and the weapons actually lose some reach when swinging because you hold the weapons higher on the shaft.  I think the stab only gets + 20 range so a 2 hander will always outreach you when stabbing.  That being said polearms do more damage and do much better against shields with the poleaxe and great long axes and are much more useful against cav.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 09:29:13 am »
Lone Wolf, playing on the less populated servers? 18/21 with 2H. Team player, playing on more populated servers? 30/9 with long, damaging polearms.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.