Author Topic: How big is your computer mouse?  (Read 7684 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: How big is your computer mouse?
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 08:36:29 am »
I don't know what's up with your computer, but I can adjust my sensitivity to anything I like without ever touching DPI. From having to move my mouse 3 meters to turn around 180 or to moving it 1 inch and turning twenty 360s.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 08:53:52 am »
I don't know what's up with your computer, but I can adjust my sensitivity to anything I like without ever touching DPI. From having to move my mouse 3 meters to turn around 180 or to moving it 1 inch and turning twenty 360s.

I'd like to see the custom hex editing you did to achieve this.  Windows has a max sensitivity in it's settings.  So does every game.  These are both independant of DPI, which means a higher DPI will always be faster on the spin than a lower DPI with the same game/OS settings.  So show me the custom coding you did to alter your OS, I am highly curious and intrigued as to your coding skills.

DPI is a physical measurement of how sensitive your optical/laser/infrared mouse is. Sensitivity is a software calculation after the signal's been picked up.

Also the windows mouse sensitivity setting is sloppy and terrible and really shouldn't be raised as it causes you to "skip" pixels in it's tracking in order to fake a faster speed.  If you don't mind this skip then fine (I use it for gaming unless I'm sniping in which case I turn it back down before hand, but I hate sniper my old friends that don't like to get their hand dirty so that's rare.  Shotgun/pistol/knife ninjas for life.)

http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/tweaks/dont-modify-your-windows-sensitivity

http://www.overclock.net/mice/173255-cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide.html
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 08:59:21 am »
Almost all FPS games of any worth allow you to enter a sensitivity with your keyboard. I.e, 0.0001 or 100. Sure, there's max and lowest sensitivity, but both are such huge extremes that you will DEFINITELY find your preferred sensitivity before you hit the limits.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:33 am »
Cyborg Rat 5. You can adjust the size to fit your hand! Love it btw  :wink:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:32 am »
Almost all FPS games of any worth allow you to enter a sensitivity with your keyboard. I.e, 0.0001 or 100. Sure, there's max and lowest sensitivity, but both are such huge extremes that you will DEFINITELY find your preferred sensitivity before you hit the limits.

I didn't, and quite a few gamers didn't without increased DPI allowing more precise and smooth movements by avoiding the issues outlined in the articles above.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:16 am »
Well if you say so..
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline ABCF

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • david spade
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The_Real_Gamers
  • Game nicks: The_Real_Gorath
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:43 am »

Hell yeah, this shit is fucking beautiful.  Look at the simplicity!  Large buttons that aren't obtrusive and a scroll wheel that is perfect for the of your middle finger.  It's wired so you don't have to use batteries which is a huge plus in design.

Fuck, this is almost the perfect mouse.  Half of you are posting these ridiculous mouses with some many edges and buttons that it's infuriating.  Do you guys think this those are actually cool?  Oh god, and don't even get me started on if someone tries to play some songs off of your iTunes library. 

"Okay, welcome to the Starship Enterprise, to pick a song you're going to need to touch this wonky this thing over here.  Yeah, I know it, just do it because that's how you fly my spaceship.  Fuck you, that's a space ship.  Get out."

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2011, 09:25:25 am »
Well if you say so..

Seriously, read the articles.  I assumed this stuff has been common knowledge in gaming for many years but I guess I should know better about what they say about assuming.

Hell yeah, this shit is fucking beautiful.  Look at the simplicity!  Large buttons that aren't obtrusive and a scroll wheel that is perfect for the of your middle finger.  It's wired so you don't have to use batteries which is a huge plus in design.

Indeed.  I miss my ol' intellimouse :(
The side buttons changed my world when I realized I could bind crouch to the thumb and voice chat to my pinky.  Basic, utilitarian, beautiful.

Offline ABCF

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • david spade
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The_Real_Gamers
  • Game nicks: The_Real_Gorath
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2011, 09:30:14 am »
Indeed.  I miss my ol' intellimouse :(
The side buttons changed my world when I realized I could bind crouch to the thumb and voice chat to my pinky.  Basic, utilitarian, beautiful.
The only real issue, having had a Microsoft mouse with that red plastic on the back, is the giant red light that gets put out behind the mouse.  Whether or not my hand is there, that light is coming through.  Shameful.

The rest is very nice.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:23 am »
Seriously, read the articles.  I assumed this stuff has been common knowledge in gaming for many years but I guess I should know better about what they say about assuming.

You been pro-level in any FPS games? Any games? Apparently not... the articles are just saying that moving your windows sensitivity slider is evil. What about it?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2011, 10:25:08 am »
I use

(click to show/hide)

and sometimes i use
(click to show/hide)

I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2011, 10:41:56 am »
You been pro-level in any FPS games? Any games? Apparently not... the articles are just saying that moving your windows sensitivity slider is evil. What about it?

No man, you obviously didn't read the 2nd article at all.  It explains the nature of your software mouse acceleration vs mouse dpi settings in detail.  Anyways, obviously you can't be arsed to read anything more than a few lines so I give up.  Short answer is you're just wrong in your assertion about DPI being:
I love "dpi". Total marketing tool, nothing else. As long as your mouse has 400dpi you're good. After that it's just a higher sensitivity, and y'know, you can adjust that anyhow..

It's genius though. They can re-sell the same mouse over and over, only adding "5k DPI!!!11+1+1" every time and a new package.

Since it's actually increased precision, smoothness as well unlike traditional software acceleration which sacrifices both of those aspects in order to move "faster".

*As for Pro-level if you mean competed for monetary rewards in sanctioned tournaments then yes actually, in my teenage years I spent quite a bit of time going to a few different tournaments up here at the various arena's/domes we have.  This was long before any CPL or CGA etc though.  It was also for games such as q2:ra, TF (the original), Tribes, UT, etc.  Won some cash at a few along with puter parts.  It's how I got my stacked voodoo3 cards back in the day.  Nowadays?  Fuck no, I'm old as shit in gamer terms and my reaction/reflexes have already gone past their prime compared to the teenagers of today.  Couldn't compete at that speed even if I wanted to nowadays.*

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2011, 10:44:05 am »
So the jist of those articles are "ZOMG, get higher DPI so you can lower your ingame setting so they are exactly the same as when you had lower dpi but higher ingame settings"

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:18 am »
So the jist of those articles are "ZOMG, get higher DPI so you can lower your ingame setting so they are exactly the same as when you had lower dpi but higher ingame settings"

No.   :rolleyes:
Try reading.  And comprehending what you read.  It's hard I know, but you can do it.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2011, 10:52:22 am »
No.   :rolleyes:
Try reading.  And comprehending what you read.  It's hard I know, but you can do it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/02/does-dpi-matter-in-gaming-mice-one-mouse-maker-says-no.ars

Hmmm Steelseries the company that makes mice vs random article writers...

One of the most used mice among FPS pros is IM 3.0... with staggering 400 dpi.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:54:20 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.