Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Wipe
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 04:50:29 am »
I think it was +1 level, +5k gold, but do you remember how many kills it took to make that kind of money?

I imagine the top players are not the least deserving people of the top wealth stockpiles.

I started playing back in august, so did shitload of people, by the time retirement was out we had stockpiled enough gold to have retirements one after the other, and getting money wasn't that hard, I recall Dexxtaa getting money for a cataphract (45k at the time I believe) in a week of grinding.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 05:27:44 am »
You're suggesting that gold/xp earned before the retirement patch was implemented should have been discarded? Why should it be devalued?

Yes, it was easy to make a few retiaries if you had already invested substantial time in the mod, but once you depleted your savings, it became much harder.

You complain about people hitting gen 15 at the time, but you say 45k was a week's serious grind (there was no maximum income, as it was based on kills, but he must have been very active and very lucky, your number is almost unbelievably high). It does not currently take a week to hit 31, but to get from gen 14 to 15 at the time required 75k denars and level 28.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2011, 05:36:25 am »
You complain about people hitting gen 15 at the time, but you say 45k was a week's serious grind (there was no maximum income, as it was based on kills, but he must have been very active and very lucky, your number is almost unbelievably high). It does not currently take a week to hit 31, but to get from gen 14 to 15 at the time required 75k denars and level 28.

What? I am pretty sure all them 4 gens i made on old system were on lvl 15, i just had hard time collecting the last 15k dinari or so. But dunno, maybe on higher gens it was different, but the patch came sooner than i could find out :)

And Xant: for instance, in WoW you got macros(like ingame macros, not if you got one of them good mice), you can send items to your alts, you got events for different sized groups, it is quite a difference than "just" having a char to grind with. Not to speak about the different playstyle (rounds vs. somewhat persistent), also there is PvE or PvP so you got somehow diversional activites possible, here it is just PvP (not like i mind this, i like killing pixels with my pixels).

Comparing with different games is always bad in this case, as face it, both warband and crpg are somewhat specific games with specific gameplay and all.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 05:42:39 am »
Not this thread again.

What purpose would a wipe serve exactly?  XP has already been normalized, looms grant a minor buff to your character when you come right down to it compared to so many other mmo/rpg games.  There is essentially no grind here.

It's only suggested because players without looms think they are going to become super heroes when they're "on the same page" as everyone.  Which won't happen.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 05:43:33 am »
What do macros, sending items between alts etc have to do with the comparison? I'm not trying to claim WoW and M&B are identical in gameplay, but both have grind that have largely the same goal and grinding tends to work the same in every game, thus the wipe comparison. All the little gameplay stuff doesn't have anything to do with it.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:22 am »
If you choose to compare two things, do a full comparision, not partial, that is just lame. You used WoW as a argument here, then count that i will bring up stuff from there, as it already had been brought to the discussion anyways. Every single game is about grind to some extent, just in some games the grind takes 30minutes or the length of one round, in other months/years.

Obviously for quite big part of community playing without any looms is just unimaginable, as far as i do not understand why, i accept that. I do perform quite well without single piece of loomed gear and i believe vast majority of you is capable of doing even better, just do not be afraid and try  :mrgreen: (and ye, i sold all my looms to help like 6 friends get some starter and upkeep gear, as some of them wanted to go cav, which is somewhat money consuming, i had fully loomed armor, two pieces, mw weapon and i gave out two looms to my clanmates for free, i guess i just like the grind, but i do not depend on the outcome of it). And to be honest, seeing my friends being established in the game now and being able to use what they want how long they want feels much better than owning with 7x lordly/MW items.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2011, 06:01:02 am »
I don't think you.... quite understand. Why would you do a full comparison between WoW and M&B....? The point is that in both games people dedicate their time to grind for XP and gear; in that they are comparable. c-RPG has had wipe(s) because it's a mod in development and the last wipe was called for because pretty much the whole XP system was overhauled. MMO's don't do random wipes because those make no sense. Basically you make a game that is all about persistent characters and getting better stuff by playing, then you just decide to take it all away? "Fuck you, who told you to get levels and gear in this RPG?!?!" If you want to be on the same level as everyone else you wouldn't play something with levels and heirlooms.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2011, 06:05:57 am »
I do think you did not get my point, i said it is stupid to compare cRPG to any other game, cause this is just so specific it cannot be done. When was the last wipe anyways? Since i started playing last year november or august or something, i have not seen a single one.

But afterall, i can always make my own personal wipe, just delete chars and roll from lvl 1 gen 1, right  :mrgreen:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2011, 06:06:38 am »
Fuck the new people, if we wipe then a few months from that or a year there will be more new people. Very few MMOs wipe for the sake of "Leveling the playing field" so to hell with all of those little bastards.

I had to claw my way to the top, you do it too!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 06:08:33 am »
I do think you did not get my point, i said it is stupid to compare cRPG to any other game, cause this is just so specific it cannot be done. When was the last wipe anyways? Since i started playing last year november or august or something, i have not seen a single one.

But afterall, i can always make my own personal wipe, just delete chars and roll from lvl 1 gen 1, right  :mrgreen:

Why's it stupid? How is the grind all that different compared to other MMOs?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 06:09:31 am »
Fuck the new people, if we wipe then a few months from that or a year there will be more new people. Very few MMOs wipe for the sake of "Leveling the playing field" so to hell with all of those little bastards.

I thought Kesh was at the top, not you :?:
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2011, 06:12:59 am »
The thing is, grind in any other MMOs (which i played) was about repeating dungs/events till you had all you wanted, just going there again and again all the time, here you just keep battling, you do not face repetitive stuff other than maps being the same and teammates still being retarded. Also, you do not lose precious time while dead in cRPG as you gain xp even then, so it is not a grind actually, if you had been gaining XP while alive only, i would call that a grind, not the system that is in place now.

as my shift is coming to its end, thanks to all of you for keeping me awake and entertained, some interesting opinions found, and i was actually surprised there were people who would be for a wipe aswell :) (even tho only very few, still cool to see)

and, afterall, every battle (if not a draw or flag victory) one team gets wiped anyways  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:14:46 am by Cepeshi »

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 06:27:08 am »
Obviously for quite big part of community playing without any looms is just unimaginable, as far as i do not understand why, i accept that.

I don't think this is the issue people have. Most people who play this a lot have at least one alt without any heirlooms.

Pre-upkeep I was one of the people sitting on a lot of money, rather than retiring with it. Suddenly one day, inflation hit and the money that had taken me months to earn could be doubled in a few days. I could buy everything I wanted, but the game did not become more fun. I went out of my way to achieve something, and I was given a bad version of that (everyone could buy things), and my work toward getting the good version (I alone could buy things) was worth next to nothing.

If you think some people are so wealthy/old/descended that they can't be caught, take pity on the people who put a lot of effort into trying to catch up. A wipe would rob every player of any sense of achievement. You can win a duel or a battle, but it's nicer to win a war.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:15 am »
+2
I thought Kesh was at the top, not you :?:

Kesh prefers to be on the bottom. We sometimes switch...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: AEF_BigBird
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2011, 08:51:40 am »

It used to be easier to gain generations in earlier patches so people now adays starting gen 1 and "clawing" their way to the top have a much harder job. ( no stance on wipe though, I don't care either way. )