Author Topic: Who made the map rotation? (EU1)  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: Who made the map rotation? (EU1)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 05:55:26 am »
it's a shame that we seem to be the minority when it comes to plains maps, and perhaps people are happy with the rotation that we have, same maps day in and day out, i don't understand it, there are/were plenty of good maps, where those maps have vanished to, i have no idea...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 07:30:28 am »
As a twohander, i find the plains map quite fun aswell, well, if i manage to get to some action anyways. What i do not understand is: PLAINS map on siege? WTF?

Was on siege, got three plains map in a row, was defender all the freaking time and nothing is more frustrating than playing a map you can not win no matter what you do...i believe for the attackers it had to be fun just steamrolling us and we being not even able to spawn before the flag went down, retarded.

So, yeah, i would not mind more plains map on battles, but remove those bullshits on siege please. And, if the random factor was more random would be cool, i mean, one village map, then some plains, then again something, but just not village after village after village and then plains after plains after plains...that is sad :(

Also, what heppened to that huge square town map? the square in middle, lots and lots of sidestreets and alleys, i presume it had performance issues, but was damn fun to play, same as the one with just two rows of trees and some fields around (even tho that one was unnecessarily big). Dont know the names, played them just before the voting has been implemented, now i use that to find out names of maps i love/hate .)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:33:42 am by Cepeshi »

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:06 am »
Some time ago i made couple of flat open field maps with the idea behind them that it would force people to work together. I think it worked fine, dont remember any side camping on them, people were quickly learning to work with each other, just a fast dynamic gameplay with everybody in reachable place unlike the village maps we have...

and i especially dont like the town map, with the dungeon and a merc banner on top of the castle... hate when both teams run in circles trying to find each other and when the master of field flag comes up its in unreachable place

also battle on ice where its all about house camp or boat camp

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 10:07:09 am »
+1
More native - yes. More open plains - no.

Open plains isn't balanced, the team with most cav wins.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 11:11:08 am »
there are/were plenty of good maps, where those maps have vanished to, i have no idea...

Naming those good maps might help getting them back.

As a twohander, i find the plains map quite fun aswell, well, if i manage to get to some action anyways. What i do not understand is: PLAINS map on siege? WTF?

Was on siege, got three plains map in a row, was defender all the freaking time and nothing is more frustrating than playing a map you can not win no matter what you do...i believe for the attackers it had to be fun just steamrolling us and we being not even able to spawn before the flag went down, retarded.

A random plains map is generated if a map in the rotation is missing from scenes. This has been happening for all custom maps every time the module was compiled for a patch/hotfix since the scenes.txt was replaced with the default native one, shouldn't be happening again now.

Some time ago i made couple of flat open field maps with the idea behind them that it would force people to work together. I think it worked fine, dont remember any side camping on them, people were quickly learning to work with each other, just a fast dynamic gameplay with everybody in reachable place unlike the village maps we have...

I liked your maps but they were removed from the rotation after a lot of people complained of performance issues. If you can fix it, they could be added back.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:13:23 am by Punisher »

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 11:20:37 am »
More native - yes. More open plains - no.

village maps isn't balanced, the team with most archers wins.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:14 am »
Awesome info Punisher, i was trying to find a liking in siege finally, but got driven out by them plains maps :( Will give it another go then!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:09 pm »
Yup village maps aren't balanced at all.

Open field maps thread that I made a while ago with some extensive arguing. When that thread was made it was after another stint of lots of open plains maps. Many people said they wanted more of them at the time.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,8539.0.html

My criteria was:

1. More flat (only slight hills) maps that allow you to see the enemy directly would promote more teamwork i.e. cavalry and infantry formations. Resulting in big epic battles. This is achievable simply by a couple of guys taking charge in each team.

2. It provides more variation. Currently we have village camp maps, hill camp maps, town maps and the very occasional open map. Adding a few more open plains would simply increase the variation and there would be something for everyone. You'd have your street brawls as well as your mass tactic battles.

3. It would help promote cRPG for pubbies to be able to see that it isn't just a nub server hacking and slashing at each other 1vs1 all the time. You can go to native for that. Teamwork is a big part of cRPG (else there wouldn't be so many clans) and it should be shown off even in pubby.

4. By voting no, it can be considered that you are voting against such variation for whatever reason. I am not arguing that all maps should be like this, merely that there should be a few more in there. As it is currently sorely lacking. For those fearing a cav rampage, if you end up in one of those maps, take charge of the infantry and organise them, that way you have nothing to fear.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:56:27 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 12:59:11 pm »
Funny how all the GK members posting in plains thread always use that: just manage your team, lead them...

And yeah, cav are freaking dominating even some villagehill maps, like those opened villages with some hills around. Cav in huge numbers will just obliterate anything. Period.

And no, not even loads of pikes, if you are trained (as in cav coming 1by1by1by1 all the freaking time) you just cannot cover all directions and all horses, impossible. And yes, i tried few times grabbing pikes and such, along with many others, yet when like 1/4 of enemy team is cav, it is problem, EVEN if you have somewhat reasonable people on your side, you just cannot coordinate them well enough to null the cav threat.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 02:14:40 pm »
Thats because on most of those maps there is no incentive for organisation other than camping. When GK have around 5-6 of us banner balanced + any random cav who automatically follow us, unorganised pubbys are easy game. Hence why the cav dominates  :lol:

As soon as organised infantry occurs, it becomes a lot harder for cav. It's happened a few times where we've just had to concentrate on the enemy cav and leave the infantry well alone until we beat the enemy cav and then wait until our inf has carved a hole through the enemy infantry, especially when there's a few pikes thrown in. We won't go near them until they are completely broken up. Organisation helps a lot when facing a superior cav force. And if they have superior cav numbers, well it means they should also have less inf meaning it should be easier for organised inf to beat them.

Edit:

I think a good example was that Tournament that many of the clans took part in a bit before strat came out. Cav didn't dominate at all in that. We were mostly a support roll and making ourselves a nuisance than doing any actual real damage. With a few pikes + a big group of infantry...it's suicidal to just charge in, even when you're inf gets in there we died fast enough that we by no means were the dominating factor.

Edit Edit:

Why is Murmillus Prime - both our posts  :?

Everyone's posts for that matter.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:30:33 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:59 pm »
Yeah, that all sounds good in theory, but it happens just when some of the renown players take the command (Phaz lets say), and there are not many who do so and who (most important part) would be respected or whatever it is that makes the crowd follow and obey. If people see many cavs, they usually grab a pike (leading that some of the force is playing gimped spec actually, not that it matters, but for instance when i dehorse a guy i cannot swap to normal weapon as other cav would rape me, but i cannot do shit 1v1 with the weapon), or just suicide charge. It is freaking hard to organize, even if like half of the team is made of clans, sometimes it just wont work no matter what you try :(

Do not want to bitch, just two cents, or little moar :) I like playing with you and trying to down ya even tho i tend to rage a little against GK stacked teams :D

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 02:27:26 pm »
Haha everyone rages against us...I see so many people with GK banners now when there's a few of us on.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 04:23:46 pm »
Naming those good maps might help getting them back.

unfortunately i don't know the names of any of the maps...

regardless, a fair amount of plains maps in the rotation would be fair to the players who want them, i don't really see why people have a problem with this...

would also be nice to see a variety of different area type maps in the rotation, some days you see a shitload of desert maps in a row, then you don't tend to see them again for well over a week...

off topic, Murmillus_Prime, seems rather childish to go through the entire thread giving everyone on both sides of the argument a minus for there post, did you even read any of the posts...

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »
but for instance when i dehorse a guy i cannot swap to normal weapon as other cav would rape me, but i cannot do shit 1v1 with the weapon

you are putting yourself in a situation of 2 players or more vs you and you expect to have bigger chances to win than they

ok im out of this thread before it turns into hate thread nerf them one

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 07:19:52 pm »
Haha everyone rages against us...I see so many people with GK banners now when there's a few of us on.

I lost count of how many GKs I have slain  :P