Author Topic: Final Solution for Cavalry. (Make it.. different)  (Read 19150 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Final Solution for Cavalry. (Make it.. different)
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2012, 05:48:11 am »
+1
16 months after the original post, this isn't even the same damn game. You people are still arguing like it is.  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:32 am »
16 months after the original post, this isn't even the same damn game. You people are still arguing like it is.  :rolleyes:

That was the whole point of the bump. Some things never change..

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2012, 10:58:16 am »
That was the whole point of the bump. Some things never change..

yeah ;/ like 2h being the most damaging and popular class with least nerfs out of them all, some things just dont change

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2012, 11:55:17 am »
+1
The problem with Thomek's idea is that is just doesn't work. Maneuver already is the number one bottleneck of cav, and unrealistically so (humans weight 10 grams and horses are in fact 60T trucks projected from a world of marmelade). Increasing everything else and nerfing maneuver will lead to more backstabbing, not less. Here are the reasons :

- People aware of you will try to dodge and attack you. It is currently already very easy to acheive for anything but 1h and xbows that need reloading. Xbowmen just take their sidearm, and 1h can still do it if they take advantage of the low maneuverability of cav. When I'm dehorsed I just chamberblock lancers and do a right swing+left jump if they try to do a couched lance.
- When you attack people as melee cav you usually don't take damage from them, but only due to the possible proximity of enemy ranged. In most cases taking damage means you failed completely. You don't need a lot of horse health.
- Bumpkills require less skill than couched lance kills, tend to be more reliable (not magically missing) and allow horsemen to kill many enemies in one strike.
- Having a more sturdy horse doesn't help you at all when your enemies can stop it with polearms.
- Speed only helps for attacking people without them having the time to react to the sound of the horse. Currently it only works with coursers but if you buff speed more horses will be "silent"

Buffing horse health, armor and charge while nerfing maneuver would actually buff ranged cav and be detrimental to melee cav.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:58:26 am by Kafein »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2012, 09:55:08 am »
The problem with Thomek's idea is that is just doesn't work
Here are the reasons :

- People aware of you will try to dodge and attack you. It is currently already very easy to acheive for anything but 1h and xbows that need reloading. Xbowmen just take their sidearm, and 1h can still do it if they take advantage of the low maneuverability of cav. When I'm dehorsed I just chamberblock lancers and do a right swing+left jump if they try to do a couched lance.

This is what I'm suggesting, no more lone Ninja cav. Go with 2 or 5 or 10 other cav, with higher speeds and more horse HP. (not a problem considering the amount of cav on servers these days)
- When you attack people as melee cav you usually don't take damage from them, but only due to the possible proximity of enemy ranged. In most cases taking damage means you failed completely. You don't need a lot of horse health.

Im not sure I understand.. Of course horse HP is worth something. Especially if maneuver is nerfed.
- Bumpkills require less skill than couched lance kills, tend to be more reliable (not magically missing) and allow horsemen to kill many enemies in one strike.

Bumpkills will need to be better executed than now. It will be harder to do.
- Having a more sturdy horse doesn't help you at all when your enemies can stop it with polearms.

In my idea, perhaps only a few polearms will be able to stop cav. Its not hard to spot a Pike or a longspear..
- Speed only helps for attacking people without them having the time to react to the sound of the horse. Currently it only works with coursers but if you buff speed more horses will be "silent".

* Yes, but they will not be able to climb around on mountains like goats either.. Terrain will matter much more.
Buffing horse health, armor and charge while nerfing maneuver would actually buff ranged cav and be detrimental to melee cav.

* No, ranged cav would need way more arrows and time to shoot down a horse. If this becomes a problem, then of course one would need to do balancing adjustments.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2012, 11:20:25 am »
This is what I'm suggesting, no more lone Ninja cav. Go with 2 or 5 or 10 other cav, with higher speeds and more horse HP. (not a problem considering the amount of cav on servers these days)

Charges, even coordinated, don't tend to work well. Not because horses have bad "charge" stats, but because of the stopping mechanics. One pike is enough to stop a horse and all those that follow. Also, maybe the first charge will have an effect, but what follows will inevitably be a chaos of horses going in all directions and stopping each other, causing great causualties for both sides.

Im not sure I understand.. Of course horse HP is worth something. Especially if maneuver is nerfed.

HP is worthless if you can't inflict damage. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on your survivability to increases the chances of taking advantages of bigger mistakes. But I'll expand on that at the end.

Bumpkills will need to be better executed than now. It will be harder to do.

It is already not that easy against aware people that are not somehow limited in movement (near a wall, in a mopb of teammates...), up to the point it is practically impossible to bump aware agi archers. It will be even harder with less maneuver.

In my idea, perhaps only a few polearms will be able to stop cav. Its not hard to spot a Pike or a longspear..

That's just a detail and probably very personal but it is harder to spot a long shaft of wood than say a weapon with a lot of metal like a poleaxe when the background is grass or trees. When I'm dehorsed by pikes and long speara it usually happens because they were held in such a way it was just a point from my perspective. Spotting the polearm thrust animation instead of the weapon tends to be more effective.

This will paradoxally make compact formations less effective against cav than spread ones, because people can dodge individually but not as a group

* Yes, but they will not be able to climb around on mountains like goats either.. Terrain will matter much more.

Worst idea ever. Map makers think calradia is somewhere between the moon and mars, with hills, cliffs and mountains absolutely everywhere. Horses (any) are already slower than people when climbing 5 degree slopes so definetly no. Not until maps are  realistically flat, or at least more flat than now.

* No, ranged cav would need way more arrows and time to shoot down a horse. If this becomes a problem, then of course one would need to do balancing adjustments.

It would nerf ranged cav versus cav, but also be a great buff to the ranged cav versus infantry and foot ranged abilities, if bumps become more deadly. Range cav is the only class capable of locking people down by aiming and bump them at the same time.

I think cav should be more skillbased than now and I suppose the majority agrees. Nerfing maneuver and buffing everything else is exactly the way to acheive the opposite. Maneuver defines your freedom of action. The more freedom, the more skillbased the gameplay is, as the best players will use that freedom to the fullest, whereas the worst will only use a fraction of it. Let's say you nerf maneuver so much horses become unable to turn. In such a game, there is no difference between a good and a bad cavalry player. Of course this is not what you want, but a maneuver nerf would go in that direction nonetheless. The right thing to do is buffing maneuver, and balancing it by adding a malus to horsemen linked to their armor weight, in both speed and maneuver.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2012, 02:54:33 am »
Charges, even coordinated, don't tend to work well. Not because horses have bad "charge" stats, but because of the stopping mechanics. One pike is enough to stop a horse and all those that follow. Also, maybe the first charge will have an effect, but what follows will inevitably be a chaos of horses going in all directions and stopping each other, causing great causualties for both sides.

In your scenario, yes. But if the cav learn to "teamplay" like they force infantry to do, then a well executed charge with increased horse hp, and less horse stopping weapons available, would be very much viable.

Again, you argue against the terms in my suggestion. Is it so hard to imagine?
For my idea to work, everything would of course have to be tested and balanced again.

HP is worthless if you can't inflict damage. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on your survivability to increases the chances of taking advantages of bigger mistakes. But I'll expand on that at the end.

What on earth makes you think horses will not be able to deal damage i my suggestion?
The idea is to NERF maneuver, and BUFF everything else accordingly, including speed. I never said how much.. This is something the devs would have to test.

It is already not that easy against aware people that are not somehow limited in movement (near a wall, in a mopb of teammates...), up to the point it is practically impossible to bump aware agi archers. It will be even harder with less maneuver.

About bumping.. I think it's way too easy right now. That high agi characters can avoid a bump is only fair. How often don't you backstab archers anyway?

That's just a detail and probably very personal but it is harder to spot a long shaft of wood than say a weapon with a lot of metal like a poleaxe when the background is grass or trees. When I'm dehorsed by pikes and long speara it usually happens because they were held in such a way it was just a point from my perspective. Spotting the polearm thrust animation instead of the weapon tends to be more effective.

So you are saying spotting a pike is difficult. Hmm.

Worst idea ever. Map makers think calradia is somewhere between the moon and mars, with hills, cliffs and mountains absolutely everywhere. Horses (any) are already slower than people when climbing 5 degree slopes so definetly no. Not until maps are  realistically flat, or at least more flat than now.

There are lots and lots of flat maps, and cav does OK on ALL maps we have in rotation. Even city maps. Of course, they do better on more open or flat maps. Besides, cav players can just dismount and do fine in city maps. See the other cav thread for details.

It would nerf ranged cav versus cav, but also be a great buff to the ranged cav versus infantry and foot ranged abilities, if bumps become more deadly. Range cav is the only class capable of locking people down by aiming and bump them at the same time.

I agree ranged cav would get an advantage from this, but they would also not be able to dodge as well as now, so it would be the same I reckon. Ranged cav bump lock down would become impossible with maneuver nerf.

I think cav should be more skillbased than now and I suppose the majority agrees. Nerfing maneuver and buffing everything else is exactly the way to acheive the opposite. Maneuver defines your freedom of action. The more freedom, the more skillbased the gameplay is, as the best players will use that freedom to the fullest, whereas the worst will only use a fraction of it. Let's say you nerf maneuver so much horses become unable to turn. In such a game, there is no difference between a good and a bad cavalry player. Of course this is not what you want, but a maneuver nerf would go in that direction nonetheless. The right thing to do is buffing maneuver, and balancing it by adding a malus to horsemen linked to their armor weight, in both speed and maneuver.

I agree horsemen should get penalties from equipment weight like infantry do, thats only fair. But buff maneuver? Have you been on EU1 lately? I want to change horsemanship from "skill based" as you call it, to include some brainwork and thinking.
In stead of driving around the map in circles, going for every other target of opportunity. It borders on pure trolling.
I want to make cav players THINK before they charge, and make them have a greater risk/reward factor.

Riding a horse is not like controlling your own body. There is a delay in the reaction chain (the horse brain) and the weight of a much heavier creature.

Frankly I'm just plain sick of the randomness cav adds to battle. With my ideas they would have to organize themselves, and could do so in a powerful manner. Battle would be less random for everyone, and everyone would benefit more from teamwork.

Don't imagine that this idea would work playing as you do right now..

CHANGE
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:00:03 am by Thomek »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2012, 04:46:42 am »
+1
Cba to read the whole thread but still I am going to comment.

I don't know why this thread is in game balance discussion. The arguments in OP mainly focus on the realism side of horse riding, not that much in game balance. I might get bored to hell if I can't manouver my horse enough. Less fun, forced to go only for backstabs and noobs don't even try anything else than spawnrape.

If the horses had any less manouver, we need to reverse the lance angle nerf completely and give horses really high HP. I don't see this option too desirable because pikes and other long polearms keep stopping horses from weird angles and it would be impossibru to dodge them.

Also less manouver = go cart riding. I remember reading a thread where someone said chadz don't like it when people ride horses like go carts and hit walls and other obstacles after killing attempt. Nerfing manouver would do just that, because it becomes quite a challenge to dodge pikes and not to ride towards walls etc...

(click to show/hide)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:48 am »
I think cav should be more skillbased  now and I suppose the majority agrees.

What Kafein said is so true, after the horse's legs damage it force all horse players to use skill, horseman cannot directly engage infantry unless you are 100% sure that you can kill him. Horseman are now better to protect infantry and to kill any infantry that is trying to flee

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:12 am »
Maybe the pike and longspear should be reworked, so that in x-mode, the player becomes stationary:

This should make the weapon insta-kill every horse. To compensate, remove the horse-rearing capability of all spears.

With this, I think Thomek's suggestion could work.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2012, 01:15:28 am »
No Zagibu, don't listen to Thomek's evil whispers. They make your ears rot and Katana cutting through tanks :D

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2012, 03:07:30 am »
Hehe..  I get you.

But honestly, I'm not arguing for the sake of Ninjas here.  My playstyle will never change nonetheless.

I'm talking about changing the metagame.

Right now my greatest fear is that ranged and cav will become the dominating force in time. It would be loosing the most unique thing in this mod, namely melee dueling.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2012, 04:09:42 am »
Hehe..  I get you.

But honestly, I'm not arguing for the sake of Ninjas here.  My playstyle will never change nonetheless.

I'm talking about changing the metagame.

Right now my greatest fear is that ranged and cav will become the dominating force in time. It would be loosing the most unique thing in this mod, namely melee dueling.
Not sure about the 'in time' bit.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2012, 03:37:10 pm »
Just buff long spear somehow. Melee enthusiasts quite much shit their own bed when they cried like little bitches about long spear being OP.

I don't see too many long spears or pikes around anymore. If I remember right, long spear is taking 3 slots currently and it doesn't allow long spear men have a decent sideweapon. That makes cavalry more dangerous to melee infantry units than anything. Yeah ranged counters cavalry, but its kinda borderline. Cavalry counters ranged as well and rangers can't protect the infantry from cav like pikemen and long spear men do.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »
Just buff long spear somehow. Melee enthusiasts quite much shit their own bed when they cried like little bitches about long spear being OP.

I don't see too many long spears or pikes around anymore. If I remember right, long spear is taking 3 slots currently and it doesn't allow long spear men have a decent sideweapon. That makes cavalry more dangerous to melee infantry units than anything. Yeah ranged counters cavalry, but its kinda borderline. Cavalry counters ranged as well and rangers can't protect the infantry from cav like pikemen and long spear men do.

Buff pikes? I'm a cav/piker hybrid and have been piker for a very long time. Pikes don't need a buff at all, if anything they could do with a slight nerf. Maybe remove polestagger from all polearms with a small stat buff to compensate
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.