Author Topic: Kong Ming's Short Guide to Making Your Own Maps. (No Module System Required)  (Read 17421 times)

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Kong Ming's MUCH IMPROVED Short Guide to Making Your Own Maps.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 10:55:48 pm »
+1
So I made my map. Now I need to know how to use it or compile it or whatever is needed to get it done and workable for crpg.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:48:30 pm »
+1
In object mode, switch from placing scene props to placing entry points.  Place two entry points, one for each team, and point them in the general direction you want players to face when they spawn.  Then select each point and on the left there are two fields, variable 1 and variable 2.  For the first entry point make variable 1 "0" and for the second entry point make variable 1 "32".  This makes them entry points 0 and 32 which are the two entry points the game uses to spawn the teams in Battle.  For deathmatch you need to place entry points 0-63 all over the map.

For further detail, visit http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,89831.0.html , it includes very good info about entry points and siege towers, portcullis...

When placing entry points for Battle mode, allways test your map with 200+ bots if you can to test the spawns. Only placing two of them forces the game to make players spawn in lines of 20 (or something like that). When a line is complete, the game make other people spawn in a line roughly one step backwards and so on when the current line is finished, so you must make sure there's enough space behind your spawn entry points (this is a common problem with custom maps).

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 11:50:54 pm »
+1
Getting it ready for cRPG really only requires two more steps.  First, I highly recommend you use barrier props to totally enclose the playing area.  cRPG players have a nasty habit of using siege ladders to escape the normal boundaries of the map and piss everyone off :-).  Airith, who manages maps for the NA servers will insist on this step.  Once you have that in place, you simply need to upload your map so others can play it.  I'd post a download link and some screenshots of your map in the map development thread to get feedback.  The download should include the .sco file for your map which you'll find in the "SceneObj" folder in your mod's folder, as well as a text file that has the code excerpt from your scenes.txt file for your map.  The most important thing from that code snippet is the Terrain Code.  If you use the wrong terrain code with the .sco file, the terrain will be all screwed up.  You can upload things to the mount&blade repository once you register with them and get approved, usually takes about an hour for approval and then you can upload all you want from then on.

http://www.mbrepository.com/index.php
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 01:38:56 am »
+1
Don't the natural boundaries of the map itself work? My map is small enough and there aren't any high walls to make an "outside" or "inside" part of the map. Basically if you go outside the map, you are in the sky box at that point or the generic terrain area.

Also do I need to place 3 master of the field flags per that linked tutorial or just 2?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:55:30 am by Kung Fu Jesus »
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 08:50:00 am »
+1
Don't the natural boundaries of the map itself work? My map is small enough and there aren't any high walls to make an "outside" or "inside" part of the map. Basically if you go outside the map, you are in the sky box at that point or the generic terrain area.

Also do I need to place 3 master of the field flags per that linked tutorial or just 2?

The default terrain borders will work for a flat map. But for a map like Arena, without added barriers people can use ladders to go on the walls.

About MotF, I think the 3 entry points are the 3 possible locations of the flags. The game chooses randomly between the possible locations you have set up. But the two faction flags allways spawn next to each other (like one prop).

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:08 pm »
+1
How do I change the name of the sco file to be the name of the map? The map list shows the right name but the sco file still says my_scene_1.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 09:07:05 am »
+1
It's functional name is defined in the scenes.txt file, whereas the name is displays in game is defined in strings.txt.  Change the two instances of it in scenes.txt to your new name (keeping the scn_ prefix on the first), and then also change the instance in the strings.txt file (again with scn_) as well as the name of the .sco file to match.  That should do it I think.  Let me know if I need to be more specific.

Offline panderson

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The White Company
  • Game nicks: Pandersonsonsonsonson_WCo
  • IRC nick: Panderson
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 04:55:15 am »
+1
Hey, can you add to the thread above that you need to be in windowed mode.  Lucius told me you needed to be in windowed mode.

It solved my issue of not being able to see anything.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:11:45 am by panderson »

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 06:27:23 am »
+1
Now, press Alt-Enter to go into windowed mode.  Then, press Ctrl-E to enter "Edit Mode" (again, assuming edit mode is still enabled). 

It's in there at the moment.  Does it need to be more clearly stated?

Offline panderson

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The White Company
  • Game nicks: Pandersonsonsonsonson_WCo
  • IRC nick: Panderson
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 07:19:07 am »
+1
 Maybe...or maybe I'm just an idiot.  Either is equally possible. 

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 12:47:02 am »
+1
Can this thread get a sticky please?  :lol:

Offline Castor

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TS_Boyar_Castor
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 08:39:04 am »
+1
expect to see some noobish looking maps from me soon  :P

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 08:56:23 am »
+1
What have I done?   :rolleyes:

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Kong Ming's Short Guide to Making Your Own Maps. (No Modules Required)
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 08:51:43 pm »
+1
I wanted to make a gripe list about the editor in hopes that someone has found a work around for one of these. Here goes:

Strange annoying bugs in the editor, can anyone explain these?

1. Sometimes after many hours of editing a map will start to crash after a few minutes of editing :mad: :mad: :mad:. I had luck fixing this once by copying the files into a new mod folder, but that did not work with my latest file.

2. While editing my cave map, I placed a few dungeon passage props, upon reload a third of the map had sunk to 1 meter and was painted straight black, if I tried to raise and recolor it, the terrain would revert back to low and black upon reload.

3. Inverted props (espcially valley_rock_flat) will sometimes disappear entirely
 upon save.

4. Sometimes clicking outside of the minimized editor window will cause the screen to go black and the whole program to seize up for minutes at a time.

5. Random teleporting of players to the top of maps. (I am still unsure at the cause of this)

6. Players popping'  up from under a bridge model instead of hitting their heads on the underside, even when downwards facing blocking is provided.

7. Staircase models (especially the dungeon_tower) causing players to move jerkily up and down them, forcing manual ramp blocking.

8. Patches of ground texture becoming see-through

Wishlist

1. Undo button :!:

2. copy/paste

3.In-editor tweaking of outer_terrain

4.In-editor weather editing or at least preview, and global lighting slider

5.Ability to save modified (I.E stretched or skewed) models in a 'palette'

6.Ability to lighten/darken models

7. instant death barriers, fire damage barriers, and drowning barriers

8. Faster camera panning or camera position hotkeys.

9. Rescaling of multiple items at once.

10.in-editor importing of custom textures and models.

11. More models! Especially Timbers of various lengths and sizes, and well textured squarish stones.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:52:49 pm by Nasturtium »

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Kong Ming's Short Guide to Making Your Own Maps. (No Modules Required)
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 09:47:45 am »
+1
1.  Had this issue as well, crashes focused around attempts to place new objects.  Your trick of putting the map into a new module works for now.

2.  I've had a similar problem anytime I've tried to increase the map size with a different terrain code after there's already been an .sco created.

3.  Haven't noticed this one yet, I tend to find inverted props look ugly because of texture seams and so forth hidden on the bottom.

4.  I can actually help you with this one maybe, a similar problem was crashing the editor for me sometimes.  I found lowering in-game resolution to slightly less than your system's resolution before going into windowed mode largely eliminates the problem.

5.  That's just your crazy caverns.   :)

6.  I've always had success using barriers on the underside for this, maybe you just have to barrier them out of the area in general.

7.  dungeon_tower is worthless.  it took me a while to accept this.  most others can be scaled to avoid this.

8.  Haven't figured this one out yet.  Seems to happen much more around extreme elevation changes for me.

As for your wish-list, I have one hint.  Since I tend to add entry points near the end of my process (other than 0 and 32), until then, I just place an entry point anywhere I want to be able to bring the camera back to.  Then just double-click it in the object list once or twice and the camera flies to that position.  Later delete and replace entry points where you actually need them.  Not perfect but it works.

Also, Airith says new models are on the way  :mrgreen: