Author Topic: Autoupdated Map  (Read 28324 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Autoupdated Map
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2012, 06:01:56 pm »
Someone fix this please :(

50,000 crpg gold and I'll get him to do it, stones on market
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:40 pm »
+1
Would be nice if this was just implemented into strat. Then we wouldn't have people lobbying to free banned players (then not even keeping their word) or asking for 50k gold just to "talk" which guarantees absolutely nothing. GF LLJK.

:rolleyes:

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »
It certainly would be nice...You can technically get this information yourself, but the map was beautiful before. Not only could you just click a fief and get the owner, it had borders around areas that were controlled by factions.

To get this information the long/hard way, you need to be on your main character on the c-rpg.net website.  Click the battle tab, click on a battle, click the user, then click "locations" at the top, and then search for the fief name one by one.

This is the URL to the locations shortcut, but still is a hassle compared to this nice website that vinny had setup

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesupcoming#!?page=strategusinfolocation
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »
Actually I talked to him recently. He said something about fixing it if properly bribed. Knowing him, a simple $20 bottle of Tanqueray's would do the job.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

In all seriousness, though, I really don't get why you shouldn't just see it on the Strat map when you click on the fief, regardless of how far away you are. This really isn't secret info.
Don't.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2012, 06:08:58 pm »
I'll stick to going here for that information (the map was nice and being able to click on a fief and getting the owner faction was nice too, but ultimately not that necessary):

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesupcoming#!?page=strategusinfolocation
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 01:22:40 am »
Could do it (coded into game) that when someone owns a fief/castle/town, it adds a colored area around that fief in their faction's color  - a certain radius for fiefs, a bigger one for castles, and a bigger one still for towns.  this would represent their general "area of control or influence".

if a faction owned a couple in an area these would start to "connect" or "overlap" and basically do the same as these player made area of control maps do. 

could be something that can be toggled on or off.

just a thought.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 05:06:01 am »
Could do it (coded into game) that when someone owns a fief/castle/town, it adds a colored area around that fief in their faction's color  - a certain radius for fiefs, a bigger one for castles, and a bigger one still for towns.  this would represent their general "area of control or influence".

if a faction owned a couple in an area these would start to "connect" or "overlap" and basically do the same as these player made area of control maps do. 

could be something that can be toggled on or off.

just a thought.

Ideally youd want a web based application that draws provincal boundaires around each fief with some form of raster graphics i forget what its called. If you have these provinces setup you can display alot of information which would be toggled by selecting a view from a group of radio buttons.

Faction color: The web based application accesses the strat database and colors in teh provinces based upon the color of the faction who owns it, obviously some transparency in the color involved os you cans see the geography, and the feif would be printed over the colored in province. (scroll over displays faction maybe, or a better way to dispaly it)

Good price range: If the good sold in a province has is in the range of 20-25, color the province red, if 15-20 orange, if 10-15 yellow, if 5-10 green.

Siege: If the fief in the province is under seige color the province red, otherwise green.

Garrison: Again the same idea as good price range but with the towns garrison instead, population + garrisoned soldiers.

Money: how much gold is in the feif, or you could mix gold/garrison/equipement and create some sort of defense rating, the more troops and high end gear the higher the rating so the harder it will be for you to capture it.

Possibly player population

could include prosperity/SD if any of that stuff matters

Total size of armies currently moving through the terrortory

would also be nice to be able to look at a picture of a town when clicking on it, being able to see it will help you determine how hard it will be to attack it, althought you can do that on the website.

Im sure you could think of other things, you get the idea.

As you can see just creating these boundaries and connecting them to the strat database opens up alot of doors in terms of creating an information system like this. Even for data that the current strat map already displays, you have to click on a feif to get it, who knows how mayn feifs you will hav to click on to find what your looking for. With a color coded map you can quickly analyze large amounts of data (everything about every feif on the entire map) just by looking at it and easily find what your looking for (low good price for example). But you need access to this database, or the ability to query it rather, i doubt the devs will give that to anyone, if they even want people to know this kind of info i have listed. I had offered to attempt to make this a month ago when i had time to, asked chadz about ti but nto response, i assume hes not on board with the idea, which is understandable.

The guy who made the first strat map made with javascript and stole alot of existing code from the strat website (the client, (the user) can view the javascript code of a website) so he was able to get faction data indirectly from the database, atleast i think i know very little about javascript or web development in general.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:36:09 am by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2012, 07:20:36 pm »
+1
I coded a (fairly inefficient and slow but that hardly matters) Python script that currently does this:

(click to show/hide)

It's still work in progress - work that I won't promise will ever be finished - but it obviously needs a bit different algorithm for coloring areas so borders aren't as sharp in some cases and city names at the very least.

It should be possible to get it auto-update at specific interval once it's done I guess.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2012, 07:23:06 pm »
Nice, can we see NA now? Pretty please!
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:21 pm »
Nice, can we see NA now? Pretty please!

I'll make it generate NA version too once I'm generating good enough EU maps.

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »
+4
EU/NA:
The maps can now be found from: http://koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/crpg/maps/

I did not automate it since I have no idea how to make a Python script run on my shell automatedly (or well, at all), wether I should do it considering it does take a few minutes to process it (I do have a good idea on how to make it somewhat less cpu intensive though if I can be arsed to implement it), or how to install the library used for drawing on the shell. It doesn't automatically fetch the fief data at the moment either, but that should be fairly simple thing to add.

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~elmokki/crpg/maps/ will contain new versions when I bother to create such.

I guess I'll update the map every few days for as long as I can be arsed to.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:43:08 pm by Elmokki »

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:01 pm »
Excellent work Elmokki! 

Should we start a new STICKY with this?

I'd say if you could update it once or twice a week or have someone figure out how to make it auto-update that would do it.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2012, 11:43:44 pm »
+5
Right, I bothered to code more thanks to the positive feedback.

- It works a shitton faster. I increased the distance it draws influence on and yet it still runs in about 30 seconds compared to the few minutes it took before.
- It tries to figure out when to draw fief names in dark grey instead of white, which sometimes triggers too easily and sometimes doesn't trigger even if it could be useful (EDIT: actually now it seems pretty okay)
- It writes a legend to a corner containing only factions that have fiefs on the map in question
- It downloads data from internets automatically

The maps can now be found from: http://koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/crpg/maps/

Archive of old maps (which I may have to trim at some point or convert to some non-lossless format) can be found at http://koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/crpg/maps/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:43:21 pm by Elmokki »

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »
+1
Updated!

Also added hour timestamp to future map filenames and added a total timestamp to a map corner on map images.

Control+F5 may be required.

Also I'm probably not gonna spam the thread every time I upload new maps. Bug me in IRC if I don't update this often enough.