Author Topic: Is there some special to to block?  (Read 4162 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: Is there some special to to block?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »
I never have really gotten the whole chamber block thing.  All the videos leave me saying "huh"?

http://www.youtube.com/user/reapy#p/u/5/L9jHcZjWw9U

This video is old and some aspects are a bit dated and inaccurate in c-rpg given that we can build faster/slower characters which is different from native, but the video is excellent and worth watching for some basic pointers.

If you are still having trouble with it I recommend getting a buddy and practicing in the duel server.  I'm not comfortable using chambers often in battle because of the risk involved, but throwing them in every now and then can catch people off guard.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »
i found that the easiest chamber to try in battle is the overhead (as people rarely hold it) and the most effective as you likely will hit the head.

best way to practice overhead chamberblock is to "ping pong" it with a friend using wooden sword.

i had funny chamber pong* times with several guys. i suggest to try it.

* basically overhead sequential chambers... i call it ping pong because is an infinite chamber and counter chamber until who that miss the timing gets a smack in the face. If Player A hits Player B, the chamber pong stops and Player A will start the chamber pong again. If Player B hits Player A, the chamber pong stops and Player B will start the chamber pong again. Like the "ball change" rule in tennis or pingpong. obviously who stay alive wins.

2 hours of that and you'll chamber in battle, most non-hold overheads until you need to practice it again.

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »
+1
The idea behind chamber blocking is that you block their attack while preparing yours, thus allowing you to attack them much faster than if you followed the normal block-attack-block-attack rhythm. It's a matter of timing. It's much harder to chamberblock a held attack, or an attack that's particularly fast or slow, or with weapons with a large length disparity.

Corrado's chamber pong is a good way to practice if you have a willing partner.

For me personally, I find that I have the correct chamber timing if I just left click where I might have right clicked for a block. As long as they don't hold the attack, it typically works out as a chamber. It's much easier to chamber overheads and thrusts, in my experience, than side attacks.

Also, when I play single player, I make it a specific goal in various AI fights to only chamber. Eg. In the Train the Peasants quest, I defeat the peasants by only using chambers. If you're just going for practice, it helps to set the damage you take as low as you can, so that you can afford to make more mistakes.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 09:52:29 pm »
So, you raise your weapon overhead just in time to block their overhead swing and then you're able to hit them back?

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »
So, you raise your weapon overhead just in time to block their overhead swing and then you're able to hit them back?

Essentially, yes.

Timing is key; it will probably be next to impossible to chamber effectively if you have poor ping.  Because you can hold blocks regardless of timing (as long as it's not late!) regular block is always the safest bet.  I'm generally more willing to risk chambering if I have heavy armor or am playing a strength heavy build.  If you are low strength a missed chamber might mean your death.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:14 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/user/reapy#p/u/5/L9jHcZjWw9U

This video is old and some aspects are a bit dated and inaccurate in c-rpg given that we can build faster/slower characters which is different from native, but the video is excellent and worth watching for some basic pointers.

If you are still having trouble with it I recommend getting a buddy and practicing in the duel server.  I'm not comfortable using chambers often in battle because of the risk involved, but throwing them in every now and then can catch people off guard.

That was a good video.  I'd seen it before but good basics.  I guess I'd have to do it in to understand it.