Author Topic: 2h Animations for sideswings and overheads, polearm animations for thrusting on  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
So 30% crossbows manage to do <5% of the kills while 15% 2h do 30-40%. Conclusion, 2h players are very skilled and xbowers are horrible shots.

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
Guys, everyone knows [insert reader's class] is underpowered, and [insert reader's class's natural counter] is OP. This should be balanced.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
fixed

edit:

2h stab is fine. period. after zillion nerfs (morningstar, barmace, stab damage, weapon speed, new thrust) it's time to say "basta".

by now, Xbows&Polearms: Warband cRPG mod is... this. 30% xbow, 30% polearms, 15% 1h 15% 2h and the rest is archers/throwers.

Could've you please stop commenting about your thoughts on the situation now, as it has very little to do with my suggestion.
Read the OP completely and don't stop at the title.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
So 30% crossbows manage to do <5% of the kills while 15% 2h do 30-40%. Conclusion, 2h players are very skilled and xbowers are horrible shots.

besides looking the stat charts do you occasionally play this game? you should hop in a server sometime to get a clue to what i'm talking about. you'll be surprised to see how many MW arbalest + MW bolts (= 100 pierce) + mace builds are swarming around.

Could've you please stop commenting about your thoughts on the situation now, as it has very little to do with my suggestion.
Read the OP completely and don't stop at the title.

oh sorry. It's like "We're in the middle of a nuclear war! but we must talk about how much bacteria suddently grows in the tomatoes!"

i'll tell you again. game is so broken that the last of concerns should be the 2h animations.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
oh sorry. It's like "We're in the middle of a nuclear war! but we must talk about how much bacteria suddently grows in the tomatoes!"

i'll tell you again. game is so broken that the last of concerns should be the 2h animations.

Don't let the door hit you in the back.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
+1, good suggestion. Polearms - thrust weapon, 2h - swinging weapon.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+1, good suggestion. Polearms - thrust weapon, 2h - swinging weapon.
uhm, that is EXTREMELY oversimplifying.
A sabre is designed for swinging. A Sword is designed for thrusting.
A pike is designed for thrusting. A Halberd is designed for both tbh.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile

EXTREMELY oversimplifying would be if we completely removed swings from poles and thrusts from swords. Just reducing damage or speed on polearm swings and 2h thrusts (which is halfway done anyway) would be ok. Certain poles would still have more swing damage than the others.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:25:36 am by Vibe »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

That's the problem I have with my own suggestion. The poleaxes and halberds and stuff were designed in such a way they were superior to longswords and zweihanders in every way. You can't keep them that way in cRPG or everyone would go with those.
So for balance sake, you could just lower the cut damage and increase the thrust damage on them a bit. Making them more stablike weapons instead of swingweapons. Do it visa versa for the swords. Increase swing damage a bit, thrusting damage doesn't need to be lowered any more.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven

by now, Xbows&Polearms: Warband cRPG mod is... this. 30% xbow, 30% polearms, 15% 1h 15% 2h and the rest is archers/throwers.

Which game are you playing that you think 30% take xbows and only 15% are 2h?  :|

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
Which game are you playing that you think 30% take xbows and only 15% are 2h?  :|

because the rest of the 2handed gone polearm and a lot of archers gone xbow.

Don't let the door hit you in the back.

nah i'll just play my hybrid thrower until the balance is fixed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:07:17 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
That's the problem I have with my own suggestion. The poleaxes and halberds and stuff were designed in such a way they were superior to longswords and zweihanders in every way. You can't keep them that way in cRPG or everyone would go with those.
So for balance sake, you could just lower the cut damage and increase the thrust damage on them a bit. Making them more stablike weapons instead of swingweapons. Do it visa versa for the swords. Increase swing damage a bit, thrusting damage doesn't need to be lowered any more.
the following is not backed by sources because i am lazy.
the strength of poleaxes and halberds were not mainly in 1v1 combat. Their strength came from their numbers. A large amount of these gives a boon towards a large group of zweihanders or the like simply because with so many there is no room to maneuver. In 1v1 im sure a sword user has some advantages towards these kind of weapons.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
No, in a 1on1 fight between heavily armored opponents the poleaxe was supposed to have an advantage over a swordsman. Poleaxe fighting was pretty sophisticated.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
really? i remember learning in history class that zweihanders were used to break polearms, since most of them were made out of wood. (i know, hard strong wood, but it ain't steel)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
the following is not backed by sources because i am lazy.
the strength of poleaxes and halberds were not mainly in 1v1 combat. Their strength came from their numbers. A large amount of these gives a boon towards a large group of zweihanders or the like simply because with so many there is no room to maneuver. In 1v1 im sure a sword user has some advantages towards these kind of weapons.

Could be. Personally I think that making the thrust more important on the polearms creates the same fighting style in 1v1 as people do now with the warspear. The swingdamage is poor and only used to set up for the thrust attack. This is kinda obvious and creates an inherent disadvantage in 1v1 combat compared to the 3 main attacks (sideswings+overhead) from 2h's.
I reckon this will put 2h's at an advantage in 1v1 vs polearms.

*note* If you didn't read the OP, this is still a debate on possible changes after WSE implementation and some changes to polearms/hitboxes and stuff.

really? i remember learning in history class that zweihanders were used to break polearms, since most of them were made out of wood. (i know, hard strong wood, but it ain't steel)

Not halberds and the like, just to chop the pointy ends of pikes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:05:12 pm by Spawny »