Author Topic: Please make everything outrageously expensive.  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Please make everything outrageously expensive.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 08:04:19 pm »
Im saying upkeep has no effect on persons of said wealth. Also, not everyone is involved in strat and this post is based on the individual fighter while ingame. So instead of folks running around +3 heirlooms of top tier equipment they have to balance that out between using +3 heirlooms and low-mid tier equipment.

Which most people already have to do? I don't know many people who can afford to roll all their best equipment all the time. It is simply to expensive and there really aren't that many players who do it. The ones who do are the ones who have been here for a long long time (and you can't punish them for that), or have had the sense to sell heirloom points and so make money that way, in which case they won't have +3 heirlooms.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:14:14 pm »
Ive been around for a long time, and still think its wrong that folks can weild everything OP just because they have the money for it.

Its also not just that, there is a whole waste of weapons ingame that will never be used because people can use and afford to use the highest level.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:15:29 pm by Spa_geh_tea »

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 08:27:50 pm »
Not a good solution, too many players have over 300K.....upkeep is of no consequence.
I'm relatively new player, 4 gen now, 3 heirlooms + 1 which I bought. Currently I have about 200k gold. In future I want to buy a few more heirloomed things. And most of time I use Pilgrim Disguise and the similar stuff except weapon. So stop complain and just try to understand how money mechanics works in cRPG.

And upkeep is fine now [maybe not the best {horse} but pretty nice].

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »
I don't think there should be equipment restrictions, but the upkeep on high-tier stuff should be increased a lot. Especially with the introduction of valour, I make OBSCENE amounts of gold.

Anyway, people with mid-tier stuff won't be affected and it just goes after people who still wear plate every round.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 11:31:28 pm »
they dont need anything new, just need to increase the effect of weight and make it slow people down more

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 01:38:07 am »
If you make everything much expensive this will hurt new players and casual even more, if i don't have a lot of money how could i afford higher tier equipment?

Thus only, hardcore and veteran will have uber gear and i will feel like a poor peasant slaughtered by knights...

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »
Not a good solution, too many players have over 300K.....upkeep is of no consequence.

If you make everything much expensive this will hurt new players and casual even more, if i don't have a lot of money how could i afford higher tier equipment?

Make upkeep relative to the money you have. If you have like a flamberge you could suffer upkeep of 1/10th of your money. That would work.
Best suggestion ever btw.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 08:49:25 pm »
Make upkeep relative to the money you have. If you have like a flamberge you could suffer upkeep of 1/10th of your money. That would work.
Best suggestion ever btw.

No.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 09:01:05 pm »
+3
I don't like any of the ideas being proposed in this thread.

Just balance the items and none of this bullshit is needed.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 09:16:51 pm »
If you are wearing something like a great helm, it should protect well against crappy weapons like scimitars and stuff. Penetrating that much metal is hard, most of your damage is the concussive force. If Gothic Plate was as powerful as it was IRL, then people would rage post often.

If you want realism, make it where everyone has a set minimum 12 STR and 12 AGI and only can raise each up to 21. This way there is no massive deviation in supermen or lightning bolt characters, just like RL. This way everyone will take roughly the same damage. Oh yeah, and get rid of  to make sure everyone's HP is near the same. (For the record, I would hate that though).

Reducing stat differences and base HP would actually force players to use more skill with directional combat and would make it easier to monitor/balance the game. Plate should should function realistically, but be far more expensive, at least in the initial cost of purchase.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »
doing this will only make the new players suffer.
do you think im gonna care if it gets more expensive, i got around 250k for repairs atm.
if you make the upkeep higher, means that the newer players will use weak equipement while i still wear the highest.
yes i want this make me more OP
BTW,
i am in for making plate armor stronger, but alot slower .
make weight like 50??
so they become tanks but very very slow id say that fits better.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:31:22 pm by george »

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 06:10:49 pm »
i am in for making plate armor stronger, but alot slower .
make weight like 50??
so they become tanks but very very slow id say that fits better.
Ever tried wearing plate with zero athletics? It's fun. I can only imagine how much more fun it'd be if that effect was doubled.

sarcasm

Seriously though the devs should actually implement some of these ridiculous suggestions (gather all the bad ideas they can about all weapons, armor and everything else) and make a patch and have people play with these new values and see how people like them. Just for a week or whatever. Another rule would be no suggestion made by a player for their own class/weapon will be considered, meaning for example suggested changes to archery would be made by non archers, suggested changes to plate armor would be made by non plate wearers etc etc. Then we'd finally see just how 'objective' many people really are. I predict it would be a total disaster of game balance (yet funny).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:13:20 pm by Lichen »

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 08:41:07 pm »
I don't like the merchant skill idea. Also, I think the reasoning here is wrong. If you increase general upkeep, it will be the poor people who suffer more than those who have the huge stockpiles of gold. This suggestion may conceivably solve that issue in the long run, but short of a wipe, I wouldn't count on it.

That said, I do think upkeep in general should be higher. People whine and groan every time upkeep is raised, because as you said, they're spoiled. Nobody likes to have to downgrade, even if it would end up making the game better. Many go as far as to take it personally, as if they're the only ones with higher upkeep, saying things like "OMG now that I have to wear this crappy shit, I can't kill anyone and everyone kills me in one hit!" This reasoning completely ignores the concept of relative strength and the fact that if everyone is forced to use crappier gear than this won't be the case at all.

As it stands, the majority of items, weapons especially, are incredibly underrepresented. The only people who use anything other than the highest tier weapons are people who are just starting out. Otherwise, who uses a light one handed battle axe, when they can easily use a broad one handed battle axe? Not even including valour, the average player (wins 50%) can maintain 46k gold worth of equipment, not including arrows or low wpf weapons. This could be a *lot* lower.

At the moment, the only real economic decisions you have to make is how long you can run around in full plate or armored horses. I think the game would be much better with more meaningful trade offs and opportunity costs. If you want higher tier armor or weapons, you'll have to make a sacrifice elsewhere in your equipment choices or in your wallet. As it stands, we have far too many knights.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to increase upkeep in one fell blow, without inspiring outrage and indignation, so I imagine it will have to be gradual. I liked the strategy (at least that's my theory) employed this last patch. Raise upkeep to by some large amount, all hell breaks loose in the community, then readjust upkeep such that it has still increased from prepatch, but now looks much more reasonable compared to the upkeep prehotfix. This is a standard technique employed by parents of spoiled children. :P

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 09:04:05 pm »
Sure, make everything outrageously expensive. But after that is done I don't want to hear this 'see sawing' back and forth of wanting things to be very restrictive and basically not worth the effort to get and money to use and maintain yet simultaneously complaining when people still find a way to do good with very cheap gear despite all the obstacles.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:06:10 pm by Lichen »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:11 pm »
A set cost limit for equipment would be unfair, because some "classes" need much more money to be as effective as others. E.g. heavy cav would be impossible.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?