Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32431 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #300 on: September 02, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »
Then either add the slight increase (1 to 2 points) to shields not useable on horseback, or make some more shields unusuable on horse and then add them to those aswell?

is this possible? if so then YES PLEASE

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2011, 03:51:32 am »
+1
If you slow the weapon speed down, you have to lower the time it is stunned for after thrusting. As is you can't block an overhead or turned-side swing after thrusting a guy if they block.
Long spears are still free kills for me when I see them, but that is because they can't block after I have blocked. I know how to turn into attacks ~_~.

*Oh wait didn't a bunch of people keep suggesting to remove manual blocking on long spears? They already can't if you block-swing or chamber.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:52:35 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2011, 05:03:01 am »
I like that back in the days of pocket pikemen, when the Long Spear was called the pike and hit much faster and everyone carried one, no one brought this stuff up about them being "too powerful" against other melee users, despite the fact that dedicated pikers do just as well now as they did before... despite that it was stupid easy and cheap (half the price that it is now and sheathable)to have and hit faster... they only complained that everyone could have something to stop horses...

Metagame. Pikes weren't really used that much... only a bit before the addition of pike and long spear we started seeing clans spam pikes. Even (especially) then it meant more pikes = win. Fallen was running around with like 5-6 pikemen, it was retarded.

I've got a STF 24-15 long spear user and it's just stupidly OP. I can top the scoreboards easy with never switching out from Long Spear and that's not even counting the countless of kills I delivered to my teammates on silver platter. Worst thing about the weapon? It's such a boring playstyle. Takes no effort to be super effective.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:04:37 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #303 on: September 03, 2011, 08:18:09 am »
+1
Completely metagame as to the rise of long spears now compared to when they were better. Total agreement.

Can't wait to see spears with fixed mechanics (overhead particularly).
Going to just add that speed has nothing to do with the longspear's thrust being 'fast'. Welcome to stabs on all weapon animations without a delay at the start of them.

There is a reason 1h and 2h thrusts pause for a second before extension.
This fucking thread = AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:19:20 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 03, 2011, 11:30:09 am »
Metagame. Pikes weren't really used that much... only a bit before the addition of pike and long spear we started seeing clans spam pikes. Even (especially) then it meant more pikes = win. Fallen was running around with like 5-6 pikemen, it was retarded.

I've got a STF 24-15 long spear user and it's just stupidly OP. I can top the scoreboards easy with never switching out from Long Spear and that's not even counting the countless of kills I delivered to my teammates on silver platter. Worst thing about the weapon? It's such a boring playstyle. Takes no effort to be super effective.

QFT. We did spam pikes/long spears. Some of us still do. My own char is 24-15 and a longspear user. Not much effort to get a good KD ratio, and that's not counting all the kills that were stolen from me :D

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2011, 05:19:23 pm »
really, the only reason why pikes and long spears are so good now is because the majority of the player base actually knows how to block. So we see a lot of block battles where there is a certain rhythm to the fight that can be predicted and anticipated. Long spears and pikes add the annoying element of stunlock and because you are so far away, you can bring many weapons to bear on the same person, making it more difficult to "read the rhythm". This is the main reason why longspears and pikes are so good, it eliminates the duels and blockfests we see in battles. This is also why pairing it up with a great maul is so deadly, because a great maul also fulfills a similar role in eliminating block battles.

But i can see why 2h hate this weapon. :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:20:36 pm by Thucydides »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 03, 2011, 05:39:07 pm »
I can proudly state that before I started my pikeman alt to test the pike, there was maybe 1 over 100 people using either the long spear or pike. A few days after I started seeing those popping out of nowhere :rolleyes:. Now I'm sure many people started it with the same timing though, but it felt really strange back then.

really, the only reason why pikes and long spears are so good now is because the majority of the player base actually knows how to block. So we see a lot of block battles where there is a certain rhythm to the fight that can be predicted and anticipated. Long spears and pikes add the annoying element of stunlock and because you are so far away, you can bring many weapons to bear on the same person, making it more difficult to "read the rhythm". This is the main reason why longspears and pikes are so good, it eliminates the duels and blockfests we see in battles. This is also why pairing it up with a great maul is so deadly, because a great maul also fulfills a similar role in eliminating block battles.

This. cRPG melee is incredibly slow, and today people that can't block well are very rare. So it is only logical that people develop other ways of killing than just feinting. Ranged, footwork, melee teamwork mostly. Honestly, it takes away part of the flavour of this game.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2011, 06:12:00 pm »
My only beef with spears are the overhead glitch and hit trough team mates.

Also the 2 reasons why u see so many users
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 03, 2011, 09:43:58 pm »

You can win 1 vs 1 duels with a longspear as well. The retarded stab can do damage while you jump backwards. And having 2 attack directions only is not so handicapping at all. And it also stabs faster then any 2h sword or 1h. It never bounces (almost) even at facehug distance it's very easy to spinthrust with it. While 1h swords and 2h swords bounce a lot more at such a distance.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #309 on: September 03, 2011, 09:50:48 pm »
It never bounces (almost) even at facehug distance it's very easy to spinthrust with it. While 1h swords and 2h swords bounce a lot more at such a distance.

2hers are the best facehug weapons there are.  Stop being silly.  *really, ask Ryden or someone similar.*
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 03, 2011, 09:55:03 pm »
*asks Ryden or someone similar*
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #311 on: September 03, 2011, 09:57:10 pm »
I'm all for a speed nerf so that they wouldn't be able to duel 1 on 1 that easily

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1231
  • Infamy: 2664
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2011, 10:00:38 pm »
Siiem is one of the better 2h players on EU servers.

2h sword do bounce when you're facehugging, of course overhead doesn't but swings and stab often bounce. Stab is problematic because it requires small speed bonus, if you stay still and exchange hits at facehug range your stab will bounce off in most cases.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2011, 10:03:42 pm »
+1
You can win 1 vs 1 duels with a longspear as well. The retarded stab can do damage while you jump backwards. And having 2 attack directions only is not so handicapping at all. And it also stabs faster then any 2h sword or 1h. It never bounces (almost) even at facehug distance it's very easy to spinthrust with it. While 1h swords and 2h swords bounce a lot more at such a distance.

i must be bad then because i glance all the time and i never jump backwards to spinthrust

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »
if you stay still and exchange hits at facehug range your stab will bounce off in most cases.

What 2h duelist stays still?  Spin-stab at feet.  2h sword stabs target.  Target takes full damage.  Target dies.  90% of the top 2h duelists I've ever watched start swinging/stabbing at the ground like mad while spinning around to get speed bonus at facehug range.  Looks silly, works great.

Just like spin stabbing with spears/pikes and really everything else in the game that's silly.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?