Author Topic: [NH] - Norse Horde (NA) - retired  (Read 75512 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: [NH] - Norse Horde - NA Viking themed clan (NEW)
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 02:22:10 pm »
woah. Is that last one going to be your banner? Because it looks great.

MisterWhite (artist) created that one for us.  You and others have like it but I have my reservations so I declined to use it.  Banner does not translate well to shields or heraldry well.  As someone who has wasted hours/days in photoshop himself, I do appreciate MisterWhite's time and energy though.

Offline Beefy

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beefy
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2011, 11:05:56 pm »
Watch a few of these and see if you change your mind Beefy

Those songs: a million times better than the songs Andrew posted.

Offline cosmos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 12:44:19 am »
hi there i would like to join your clan

Offline Panoply

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aristeia, Panoply, Pistachio
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 01:05:07 am »
(click to show/hide)

This is a bitchin' banner. I've yet to see it on a shield or heraldric armor, but so far it looks awesome. Seems like it would work well with a shield, maybe not so much with the armor, which I think is totally fine for a Norse-themed clan.

I'm not a fan of your clan name, but so far I'm impressed with the level of teamwork you guys display on the battlefield. I particularly like the extensive use of throwing, you guys use it really well. That Arikson is a crackshot. What's the archetypal NH build?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:51 am »
(click to show/hide)

This is a bitchin' banner. I've yet to see it on a shield or heraldric armor, but so far it looks awesome. Seems like it would work well with a shield, maybe not so much with the armor, which I think is totally fine for a Norse-themed clan.

I'm not a fan of your clan name, but so far I'm impressed with the level of teamwork you guys display on the battlefield. I particularly like the extensive use of throwing, you guys use it really well. That Arikson is a crackshot. What's the archetypal NH build?

Ya I removed the heraldric mail from approved gear because it just didnt seem/look right.

I altered the banner files to see how the banner looked myself.  The big knobs in the middle of shields really mess it up.

I struggled with the name but do like having 'Norse' in the name, I do feel 'horde' it prob somewhat overused.

Most everyone has at least 4 shield and 3/4 powerthrow with a few having higher PT like Arikson who can actually aim.  We've definitely got the critical mass so theres plenty of us to stagger people or make them think twice on advancing on our position, plus TONS of ammo to pick up.  I feel good when people complain about 'a clan full of throwers'!  Thanks for the compliments

Offline Ysidro

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • "Die Todten reiten schnell."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ysidro
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 03:04:33 am »
Hey! I can aim, but I'm usually too busy taking blocks for you from flanking attackers.   :mrgreen:

Oh and while we are on the subject of music, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEllLECo4OM will always be the most epic piece of battle music ever written, regardless of overuse.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:19:50 am by Ysidro »

Offline cosmos

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:24 pm »
yep i love the song it good song for good vid

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2011, 05:24:44 am »
so how many vikings does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Offline Dom.Miguel

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Dom_Miguel, Telescopica, Jotunn and many others...
  • IRC nick: Dom.Miguel
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2011, 03:18:36 pm »
May the gods grant you many villages to rape and women to pillage!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Khorin

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011, 05:18:33 pm »
Ya I removed the heraldric mail from approved gear because it just didnt seem/look right.

I altered the banner files to see how the banner looked myself.  The big knobs in the middle of shields really mess it up.

I struggled with the name but do like having 'Norse' in the name, I do feel 'horde' it prob somewhat overused.

Most everyone has at least 4 shield and 3/4 powerthrow with a few having higher PT like Arikson who can actually aim.  We've definitely got the critical mass so theres plenty of us to stagger people or make them think twice on advancing on our position, plus TONS of ammo to pick up.  I feel good when people complain about 'a clan full of throwers'!  Thanks for the compliments

Oi, we now have our 1h/throwers back too!

Also, concerning "horde", why not use a viking/nordic themed word for it instead?

Offline Rørik

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." -Njáls Saga
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rørik Bjørnsson
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »
Oi, we now have our 1h/throwers back too!

Also, concerning "horde", why not use a viking/nordic themed word for it instead?

I've been kinda looking around for such words to suggest to Digs, actually. I'm currently reading a historical fiction Viking novel and the character used the word 'felag' a lot, so I looked it up. Not sure how others feel about it, but basically it seems the word félag implies a sort of fellowship, though the author of the novels, who appears to be commended on his accuracies, uses the word to refer to the fighting unit of the Jomsvikings.

I'll be on the lookout for any other such replacement terms though..
"Best it is, for man's words to seek peace when it is possible." -Heitharvega Saga
"Better to fight and fall than to live without hope." -Völsunga Saga
"Better to die with honor than live with shame."-The Saga of the Jomsvikings

Offline Ulfvaldr

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • Odiiin! Yarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nords
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Ulfvaldr_Vikingr
  • IRC nick: Úlfvaldr (in TeamSpeak)
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2011, 05:23:47 pm »
maybe can be help Dictionary?! http://norse.ulver.com/dct/zoega/index.html
fé-lag, n. fellowship, partnership; eiga -lag saman, to be partners; eiga (hafa) félag vid e-n, hafa félag e-s, to be in partnership wilh one: leggja til félag við e-n, to enter into partnership with one; leggja til félags, to contribute to a common land; skipta. til félags, to share in a partnership.
félaga-erfð, f. a partner’s inheritance.
fé-lagi, m. (1) partner, shareholder of any kind; also used of married people, partner, mate (hvat segir þú mér frá Hrúti, félaga þinum); ek vil skilja við félaga minn, I wish to part with my mate; (2) fellow, mate, comrade; góðr (gamansamr) félagi, a good (merry) fellow; félagi minn ok frændi, my comrade and kinsinan.
félag-leikr, m. friendliness; -ligr, a. friendly, kind (e-m, við e-n).
félags-bú, n. joint household; -fé, n. common fund; -gørð, f. (1) entrance into partnership; (2) contract (nema annan veg hati mælt verit í fégørð þeirra); -hross, n. a horse owned in partnership with others.
félagskap-ligr, a. = félagligr.
félag-skapr (gen. -skapar), m. (1) fellowship, partnership; (2) companionship, friendship; gørðist þar brátt -skapr góðr, they soon became intimate friends; binda saman lag sitt ok -skap, to enter into close alliance.
félags-lagning, f. entering into partnership; -maðr, m. partner; -vætti, n. a witness in matters of a félag.
Excuse me, please, for my English. Google-translaitor is my friend.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2011, 06:33:45 pm »
maybe can be help Dictionary?! http://norse.ulver.com/dct/zoega/index.html

Nice dictionary. I looked at 'H', some words you could change "Horde" to in order to keep "NH".

herja (að), v. (1) to go harrying or freebooting; (2) with acc. to despoil, waste (h. land); refl., herjast á, to harry (wage war on) one another.

hernaðr (gen. -ar), m. (1) harryng, plundering; (2) warfare, raid, foray (hefja hernað, fara í hernað).

hjaldr (-rs), m. fight, battle (poet.).

hregg, n. storm, blast (var bæði h. ok regn).

herra (indecl. in sing.; pl. herrar), m. master, lord.

höggva (høgg; hjó, hjoggum or hjuggum; höggvinn and högginn), v. (1) to strike, smite (with a sharp weapon); høggr sá, er hlífa skyldi, he strikes who ought to shield; h. sverði (or með sverði), to strike with a sword; h. e-n bana-högg, to give one his deathblow; (2) to cut down, destroy (þeir hjoggu drekann mjök); (3) to put to death, behead (suma lét hann hengja eða h.); to kill, slaughter (h. hest, búfé, kýr, naut); (4) to fell trees (hann hefir höggvit í skógi mínum); (5) to strike, bite (of a snake, boar); ormrinn hjó hann til bana, the snake struck him dead; (6) with preps., h. e-t af, to hew or cut off (h. af kampa ok skegg); h. af fé, to kill (slaughter) cattle; h. e-t af sér, to ward of; h. eptir e-m, to cut at one, = h. til e-s (hjá eptir honum með sverði); h. íhöfuð e-m, to give one a blow on the head; h. e-t niðr, to cut down (var merki hans niðr höggvit); to kill, butcher (I. hefir áðr niðr höggvit brœðr sína tvá); h. e-t ór, to cut out; fig. to make even, smooth (láta konung ok erkibisup ór h. slíkar greinir); h. e-t í sundr, to hew asunder; h. til e-s, to strike (cut) at one, = h. eptir e-m; h. upp tré, to cut down a tree; h. upp skip, to break a ship up; (7) refl. to be cut, hacked (hjást skjöldr Helga); þótti honum nú taka mjök um at höggvast, things looked hard; recipr., to exchange blows, fight (þeir hjuggust nökkura stund).

höggvandi, m. (1) hewer, smiter; (2) headsman, executioner.

Some others that were kind of awkward and not very marketable. Sorta skimmed through the 2nd half also, long ass list. There are not very many snappy words in that language.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2011, 07:39:58 pm »
name is not being changed anytime soon. and if it ever did it would be readily recognizable words to English speakers.

in other news, 4 of us me, goldor, picard & shadowofwoe were rocking siege on defense

I would block doorways and have the 3 other guys with 2h/polearms smashing peoples heads or stabbing them in their bellies if they tried to get around us.  Some of the best chokepoint defenses I've ever been in.  Worked great and cant wait for when we have a few more of us on, practice and refine this!