Author Topic: [NH] - Norse Horde (NA) - retired  (Read 75263 times)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: [NH] - Norse Horde (NA) - Recruiting 2h/pole & archers!
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »
I sometimes get shield health anxiety when fighting 1h axes and rush instead of taking my time

Yeah same, I know I only have 3 hits (maybe a few more if I have my huscarl shield) before things gonna get trickier. I even do poorly against peasants with hatchets when I rush the fight since I don't want them to get any hits on my shield.

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Awesomeasaurus
« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2011, 04:47:43 am »
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,17466.0.html

Post on this if you feel strongly about it. (Body Blocking with shields)

Offline Goldor

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: America the Vulnerable
  • Game nicks: Goldor
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2011, 12:24:16 pm »
Even though I don't use shields I tend to focus on axe users when I fight.. I guess it really does have a psychological effect.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:24 am »
Welcome Fighters Zouji & Shaman Slamz!  Many seasons have I adventured with these fine plunderers
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:03:09 am by Digglez »

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2011, 01:22:19 pm »
+1
On a related note, I think every dedicated shielder should have some throwing.  Not just for Norse Horde but in general.

It's really a fantastic way of dealing with cavalry.  A lot of cavalry will steer well clear of me just for the threat of seeing me with my arm held back, axe in hand, ready to throw.  Really I should probably use javelins for the pierce damage on armored horses but I quickly got a feel for the aiming of throwing axes and can't bring myself to switch.  And throwing axes do very well against the typical, low armor horses.  There's also just something extra special about putting an axe in someone's head.  Or really any part of their body.  It can't NOT be funny.

They are also handy for archers that turn tail and run, or for archers that stand on top of a building, especially if they don't notice me.  Throwing can also be handy for trying to soften up a tough opponent.  If I see any of the big-name two-hander goons, I will usually chuck every axe I have at them before trying to fight them in melee.  Once in a while I get lucky.  I once beat LUBU in a 1 on 1 duel in about 2 seconds on the duel server.  3...2...1... THROWING AXE IN THE BRAIN, SLAMZ WINS.  (After that he got a lot more dodgy....)

Throwing, especially axes, really is not great against an aware target.  Kinda like archery, really.  If they are looking at you, ready for the throw, then you might as well not even aim.  Just throw it and hope they dodge their way into your shot.

Throwing also isn't really practical beyond about 10 meters unless you are really specializing in throwing.  As a dabbler, though, you can hit people pretty well from 10 meters if they aren't looking and horses from 20 meters once you get a feel for how to lead them.

Another amusing use is backpedalers... the guy just won't commit to fighting you.  So do your own backpedal, switch to a throwing axe and try to land one in his brain.  Hey, now he's chasing YOU!

My #1 tip with throwing:
Try not to use up all your ammo early on by throwing at bad targets.  It's awfully tempting to throw your axes at everything but it's a lot better if you play it conservatively.  You don't want to find yourself harassed by a late match cavalry when you already threw all your stuff into some guy's shield in the first minute of the battle.  Sure, you CAN break shields by throwing axes at them but you're better off just fighting the guy and saving your axes for later, when you might really need them.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »
I used to use axes but in my latest character I went up to PT 5 so I can use Jarids when I gear in light armour (I can make gold that way too unlike in the medium armour huskarl suit). Boy do those things pack a punch, one will really hurt, two will leave even the most loomed out heavy between 1/4 HP to dead. Recently I read that your own momentum doesn't effect damage, which has helped even more since I don't worry about launching on the run for extra damage, just get still for smaller reticule and let it rip, been racking up a lot more kills. Jarids and Javs are a lot more accurate than axes, longer range, and wreck heavies with their pierce, try them out.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2011, 02:34:23 am »
+1
My latest thought on "Deadliest Combo In the Game":
Maulers + spears

You deal with maulers by going berserk on them.  They're slow and most of them can't parry.

You deal with berserkers by hitting them with a long-reach pole weapon, like a long spear or pike, which stuns them long enough for the mauler to hit them.

Probably the only weakness of this combo is ranged.

Therefore, the ultimate combo in the game is actually shielder + mauler + spearman.  Shielder helps provide cover from range when they advance.  Spearman reaches out and touches the berserkers.  Mauler crushes people that are trying to defend themselves from the spear.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline erlk0nig

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Arche[r]s!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Erlkonig
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2011, 05:56:58 pm »
Really interested in joining this clan; my only concerns are that as a university student I will have some weeks (like the one coming up) where I won't be able to play as much because of midterms/term papers. Are there provisions for this sort of thing? I'm a level 30 thrower currently, but wouldn't mind rolling pole or archer upon retire.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
c'est véritablement utile puisque c'est joli

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2011, 08:31:20 pm »
Contact diggles or I. Our info is provide on the first page.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2011, 02:44:33 am »
Really interested in joining this clan; my only concerns are that as a university student I will have some weeks (like the one coming up) where I won't be able to play as much because of midterms/term papers. Are there provisions for this sort of thing? I'm a level 30 thrower currently, but wouldn't mind rolling pole or archer upon retire.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As long as this is only a few weeks of the year, and you give notice...thats just fine.

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2011, 05:45:13 pm »
New strat today.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:13 pm »
Added a few weapons to restricted list after some feedback
Awlpike, Long Awlpike, Long Knobbed Mace, Long Spiked Mace

More clearly defined playtime requirement
If for any reason you will not be able to meet this requirement you should inform officers of your absence.  Ie...finals week, vacation, business trip, etc

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2011, 12:26:30 am »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Hansen

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: Carl_Hans
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2011, 10:36:13 pm »
Letter from the south!

We are doing fine in the dessert, but we really have to get used to the heat. There seems to be very populated down here, hope we wont get in trouble....again....

Hope everything is fine up north.

Give my greetings to mom and dad in Fenada

Regards

Hans the Nordman

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2011, 09:49:39 pm »
we'll send you some pickled fish & SPF 60 when we get our caravans rolling.