Author Topic: Polearm build crossroads; suggestions?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Polearm build crossroads; suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:58 am »
In my opinion a courser is better for lancing and an Arabian is better for bump-slashing.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 07:29:59 am »
+1
In my opinion a courser is better for lancing and an Arabian is better for bump-slashing.
Arabians too fragile tbh Destriers best for 2 handed.

I personally don't like the build (but I'm certainly no expert).  With my build sitting above I didn't convert any skills to attributes.  So you have 3 more str, and 1 more WM than me (and 1 more power strike).  You have no shield, no athletics, and no 1h proficiency.  I don't think you need 155 polearms vs my 126...and I'm still able to get 92 1h out of it. 

I prefer my "balanced" build in theory. 

If you were a polearm footman (like the OP) and wanted to not have any riding, I would go with beothed's build and make a lot more str and power strike.
That extra wpf is well worth it, my weapons break less therefore less repairs and my lancing is much faster even on foot when i do dismount(rarely), that 156 means i can spam ppl to death  with the staffs.Also i perfer no ATH on cav to no IF nand i dislike hybrids in general so i woulldnt have gone 2 handed as well if i could.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:35:47 am by Baggy »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aymeric

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 08:37:15 am »
Hi,
i see almost all of you when thinking of lancer horse NEVER speak about chargers or plated horses ( the ones with 5 in riding ).
Is there any reason for that apart from the upkeep cost? ( i know its slower and less maneuvrable, but don t you think the armor and charge aspect outbalance all this? )

I have seen another post on this, and i am trying it right now; but my objective is to play a "mini knight" always staying between lvl 21/25 ( due to no upkeep for gen1 ).
Right now i am going for:
15 / 15 ( which allows me to ride 5  and wear heavy armours ) and have a polearm of around 130.
As soon as i have the money i will buy the plated charger or similar and a heavy plate armor, all that with no upkeep.
It is true that on foot i will be like a turtle, but do you think i will be able to "compete" o "disturb" on the battlefield?

- right now i am only lvl 20 ( due to 5 or 6 respec ) and my ratio is more or less 1 kill 2 death ( which isbad, i know ) but i try to support a lot infantry disturbing ennemies so i dont mind too much about my ratio...

Last but not least: knowing all this and knowing i will be a turtle on foot, which "polearm class" weapon do you think i should have whan on foot: do i keep my heavy lance or do i buy another one? ( i had the lhb, but im reaaaaaalllly bad with it lol )

tks in advance!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »
I personally think the courser is the best all around horse for lancing from horseback.  it's all about speed, even more so after they nerfed the horses and made them all slower (well i dont' think they made horses slower, but that was the end result, I think they made it so riding gave you less speed).

I don't understand how you can have no upkeep?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:13:16 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Aymeric

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 07:43:30 am »
with the last update you have no upkeep unitil you reach lvl25 in gen1 with your main, so as soon as i reach lvl25 i respec which takes me down to lvl 21.
I m not as strong as the majority but it allows me to wear heavy plate, a good horse with no upkeep which is quite nice!
Problem: when people see a tin on a horse ( which is my case right now ) they think:
" Oh... an interesting target: we aim the horse, and then we go for him" and they are right with my lvl even if i am plate i have 0 agility ( i cant have at the same time riding, good wpf and agility at this lvl ) and they kill me super easily on foot.......

On the other hand i have a lot of fun charging like a crazy in hordes of ennemies and if i take only one with me in my trip to hell it is enough lol!!!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58:43 am »
Testing it, the Devs made a typo. It is actually 25 or less, not at 25.
I started paying for upkeep once I reached level 26 with my most recent alt.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.