Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 12735 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »
Been playing this for two days, after having watched the same video tutorials as Kafein, and have run into some problems. I can't seem to find out how to get my war dogs to guard an area, can't get them to attack an enemy by command either, which is a problem since they are my defence in the early game.

Is there a way to prioritize jobs? Some tasks that are really important seem to take forever.

Around the 8th video he shows dwarf therapist, that can be used to make dwarves with valuable proficiencies stop doing simple tasks like hauling.

Other than that speed improvement, you can only command military squads directly. I don't know about war dogs :s

Offline justjr

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • I AM THE DRAGON KNIGHT
    • View Profile
    • Just Imports
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: (former Justus_Caesar) Windrunner_of_Chaos, Dragon_Knight_, Justino, cRazY_jusTT_of_Choad
  • IRC nick: Just
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:06 pm »
U gotta assign a pasture zone with the (i-n buttons), where u want him to guard.
Or/and assign him to be someones labor dog (v-p-e), put this guy on a squad and send him to attack, the dog will follow him now.

The jobs in-game are in the V button as well (press v and find a dwarf), u can use the therapist in real-time as well.

THIS GAME IS REALLY TAKING ALL MY DAY FOR LIKE 5 DAYS AND I STILL ADDICTED (damn I gotta go to the college this week)!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:29:39 pm by justjr »

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »
I usually put war dogs on ropes(b-v then assign a dog after its build) to have them guard a spot. Usually they only function as thief/ambush spotter and arrow magnets, slowing down invaders and diverting their attention so the military has a bit more time to get ready.

Offline justjr

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • I AM THE DRAGON KNIGHT
    • View Profile
    • Just Imports
  • Game nicks: (former Justus_Caesar) Windrunner_of_Chaos, Dragon_Knight_, Justino, cRazY_jusTT_of_Choad
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 07:16:04 pm »
I've been harassed by a fucking necromancer for over 6 months, he appeared on my Therapist as another dwarf as well, but I couldnt even find him on the map.
And time to time he use come and res all deads to kill me LOL.
Now hes gone from my therapist.
Obviously a nasty bug.

Offline justjr

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • I AM THE DRAGON KNIGHT
    • View Profile
    • Just Imports
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2012, 12:34:23 am »
Besides hes voice, best tutorial ever.
Jump to part 3 or 4 if you already know the basic, he really make some good points, and detail a lot of stuff.
Great.
Finally learn how to make me a real fortress xD

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2012, 01:14:51 am »
Fuck yeah Dwarf Fortress.

Offline Sellka

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre
  • Game nicks: Sellka,kovoca
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2012, 02:24:06 am »
I have a succession game on the go with a few guys, Its is a war-hammer mod so plenty of enemy's. I was looking for some others to join us in the game. Also Phobeus graphic pack.

****Graphic pack is recomended for dwarf fortress. Vanilla dwarf is epilepsy waiting to happen.

"A game of Dwarves" BURN IT BUUURN THE HEATHEN GAME.
IT will not be not as complex as dwarf fortress! >:C

Dwarf fortress, the game for kings
Pew pew pew pew pew

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »
I have a succession game on the go with a few guys, Its is a war-hammer mod so plenty of enemy's. I was looking for some others to join us in the game. Also Phobeus graphic pack.

What is this warhammer mod?  I never heard of that. 

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »
+1
Haha. All CHAOS has heard from Justus Caesar for the past week has been sideline posts on our forums talking about Dwarf Fortress. No more cRPG, no more Minecraft.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Sellka

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2012, 04:54:11 pm »
What is this warhammer mod?  I never heard of that.

*Edit*

its based on orcs, chaos humans etc. so think of warhammer/dawn of war.

Right here!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5268
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:04:29 pm by Sellka »
Pew pew pew pew pew

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2012, 05:08:52 pm »
*Edit*

its based on orcs, chaos humans etc. so think of warhammer/dawn of war.

Right here!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5268

OMG this may be the perfect game now.  Warhammer dorfs and the best dorfs.  How is the balance and such with this mod?

Offline Sellka

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »
Well, After say year two shit starts getting real with ambushes. Then you have many diffrent merchants comming to and from your fortress. Then when migrants come, they may come with dragons. Which you should put MILES AWAY from your fort. They cause hell, for your fortress by super heating rock to brimstone and you can do nothing but watch your dwarfs walk over the area melting alive, let alone in a forested area they burn all the palce down causing a forest fire which useually kills five to six of your best dwarfs, so the dragons comming to your fort Balanced.

ALSO build above ground farms, unfortuantely you can not make wonderfull underground farms with plump helmets.. I know it sucks but its just an adaptation we all get use to with this game.  I useually forge the patato easy in grasslands etc, and build in a mountan with a good plato I can turn into a large farm to sustatin the fort, also be carefull of the the food/drink levels. They need to be monotored very closely in the begining, if not well watch the fun.

So I guess yeah its balanced.

Also look at the race your playing as, as you can play as others.
PS Dwarves can make rifles just they are forgin to them, So get a good hold of a regular military etc before you start teaching them how to use them
PPS might be year three that ambushes happen a lot more but derp, I have not picked it up in a day or two so, Ill give you an awenser some time soon.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:35:27 pm by Sellka »
Pew pew pew pew pew

Offline justjr

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • I AM THE DRAGON KNIGHT
    • View Profile
    • Just Imports
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2012, 07:37:25 pm »
I going through something on life, but dwarf fortress and patron make me feel all right... ===~

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:38:30 pm by justjr »

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2012, 05:05:07 am »
Bump for one of the most complex and fun games ever.

Seems that there's a Dwarf Fortress rip-off coming out with fancy, stonesense-like graphics.

Is there a way to prioritize jobs? Some tasks that are really important seem to take forever.

Playing DF without Dwarf Therapist if like playing Q3 with no hands.

I usually put war dogs on ropes(b-v then assign a dog after its build) to have them guard a spot. Usually they only function as thief/ambush spotter and arrow magnets, slowing down invaders and diverting their attention so the military has a bit more time to get ready.

Well, that creates two problems, it wastes the chain and you can't unleash the dogs with godly powers. I > n works much better because dogs can be pulled back when you want to seal off the fortress and they can chase thieves. I keep a reasonable pack of warhounds near my entrance so every time a snatcher or thief tries to get in, we get a free dagger to melt and a bunch of rags. Or, better, he falls into one of the cage traps and serves later as a live training target for one of my firing squads.

My fort at the moment has about 150 dwarfs and over 50 of them are children which sucks.

I started producing, uhm, magma accidents to get rid of those little worms eating through my stockpiles. Dwarves need to invent contraception. Or a way to convert children into booze.

PS.
(click to show/hide)

Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2012, 07:26:33 am »
Seems that there's a Dwarf Fortress rip-off coming out with fancy, stonesense-like graphics.

Bought Gnomoria a few weeks ago and it is very well made. Not as complex or deep as DF yet, but a very good copy with familiar feel and a much friendlier interface. Still in alpha but getting regular updates.

A random screen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:30:40 am by Vibrator »