Author Topic: Nerf Arbalest!  (Read 16973 times)

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Arbalest!
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 05:50:32 pm »
arbalest seems fine to me.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »
Okay, next patch arbalest gets 90 speed.

Nub, go for 105 speed.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »
+4
After patch Arbalest will have 90 (animation) speed while longbow keeps it 50. With that we hope to double the amount of crossbow kills which only score half as many kills as bows do at the moment. Newest scientific research showed that there is a square root relation between animation speed and kill rate. So quadrupling the crossbow speed would have been enough in theory but a decent lobbying effort by DaveUKR convinced us to make it x5.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2011, 06:01:22 pm »
 :lol:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2011, 06:01:52 pm »
You lost me at DaveUKR lobbying...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »
You lost me at DaveWhineUKR lobbying...
Than you read the whole thing.

I'm still wondering why crossbows aren't given less damage but more reload speed, it's retarded that they have to stay at this high damage stateand being so slow to be effective again. Onehits are OP and reloads are UP, tweak both, and you win.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2011, 07:07:47 pm »
After patch Arbalest will have 90 (animation) speed while longbow keeps it 50. With that we hope to double the amount of crossbow kills which only score half as many kills as bows do at the moment. Newest scientific research showed that there is a square root relation between animation speed and kill rate. So quadrupling the crossbow speed would have been enough in theory but a decent lobbying effort by DaveUKR convinced us to make it x5.

I didn't try, but if I did, I couldn't fault your logic.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:43 pm »
Than you read the whole thing.

I'm still wondering why crossbows aren't given less damage but more reload speed, it's retarded that they have to stay at this high damage stateand being so slow to be effective again. Onehits are OP and reloads are UP, tweak both, and you win.

Crossbows have high damage because there is no skill that increases their damage. Every other weapon has a skill that increases damage by a percentage base, if they had anywhere near the damage an xbow does their damage would quickly spiral out of control. If xbows were decreased so their damage looked anything near what a bow or swords looks like they would be so underpowered as to be useless. I find it interesting that people complain all day about ranged one hits, and yet nothing is said about 2her one hits...

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:10 pm »
I once one shot Xant when he was wearing 50+ body armor (and I'm sure that bastard had some IF as well), and wasnt even point blank. I call OP!

What! Lies and slander!
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »
It's true!

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2011, 10:58:04 pm »
Crossbows have high damage because there is no skill that increases their damage. Every other weapon has a skill that increases damage by a percentage base, if they had anywhere near the damage an xbow does their damage would quickly spiral out of control. If xbows were decreased so their damage looked anything near what a bow or swords looks like they would be so underpowered as to be useless. I find it interesting that people complain all day about ranged one hits, and yet nothing is said about 2her one hits...
You don't get my point at all, I ofc want crossbows to deal more base damage than melee/ranged since they get no ps or pd.
Is it so hard to understand what people are trying to say without bloating it up to massive idiotic proportions?

Atm xbows are nothing less than a high damage low reload sniper rifle, they cant compete like this.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:17 pm »
You don't get my point at all, I ofc want crossbows to deal more base damage than melee/ranged since they get no ps or pd.
Is it so hard to understand what people are trying to say without bloating it up to massive idiotic proportions?

Atm xbows are nothing less than a high damage low reload sniper rifle, they cant compete like this.

Wow, how could anyone have gotten the wrong idea by:

I'm still wondering why crossbows aren't given less damage but more reload speed,

I just explained why they're not given less damage, if they had less damage they wouldn't compete no matter what the increase in reload speed- unless it was so high they might as well be a bow. Idiotic proportions, indeed.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2011, 11:48:20 pm »
Wow, how could anyone have gotten the wrong idea by:

I just explained why they're not given less damage, if they had less damage they wouldn't compete no matter what the increase in reload speed- unless it was so high they might as well be a bow. Idiotic proportions, indeed.
And how would tweaking that reduce their damage output compared to archers?

A longbow deals 26 pierce damage, powerdraw only adds above the requirement, most archers go for 6 or 7, that would mean crossbows can definatly be tweaked.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2011, 11:58:22 pm »
And how would tweaking that reduce their damage output compared to archers?

A longbow deals 26 pierce damage, powerdraw only adds above the requirement, most archers go for 6 or 7, that would mean crossbows can definatly be tweaked.

Well let me explain:

PD = 14% damage increase per level

Longbow at 6 PD (+84% damage) = 47.84 damage
Longbow at 7 PD (+98% damage) = 51.48 damage
Crossbow = 54 damage (no ability to increase)
Arbalest = 81 damage (no ability to increase)

Bows fire significantly faster than crossbows and xbows cannot be fired on the move. The only way to bring the two "in line" in the manner you're speaking would be to make them clones of each other. To compensate for much of any loss in damage you'd have to raise the speed significantly for a crossbow, but you'd know that if you did the math instead of simply saying "but bows say 26 damage and i don't have a calculator!".

Jesus i wish more people took 2 seconds to figure out mechanics before throwing their 2 cents in on how to balance weapons and items they rarely use.

Bow: Assault Rifle
Xbow: Sniper rifle

Simple and leave them alone because the only people calling for nerfs are people who continuously show they have little idea what they are talking about.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2011, 12:06:08 am »
Jesus i wish more people took 2 seconds to figure out mechanics before throwing their 2 cents in on how to balance weapons and items they rarely use.
Deleted the bullshit.

I'd wish people like you took a lot more than just 2 seconds to figure out mechanics, powerdraw only adds damage above the bows requirement up untill +4. Want Paul to explain it to you?
Don't mind the fish.