Author Topic: Nerf Arbalest!  (Read 17787 times)

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
Re: Nerf Arbalest!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »
I disagree with the nerf cycle, Fundamentally. Also, statistically the arbalest isn't even doing that great for kills so it doesn't warrant a nerf. Lots of threads on xbow balance already.

TBH there are more cases of gear&builds that are underpowered and not viable which should be buffed. Bringing those in line with other things makes the game way more spicier with different options, and is more important than a slight suggested change to a mostly non-factor weapon like the arbalest.

*I'm clearly biased as somebody who never uses the arbalest but gets shot by them all the time. Just aren't a big deal tbh.

The thread should have ended here honestly. I mean, my gosh, I can only think of two other people in the NA servers other than myself that can do well with them and even then we are virtually non existent when the fog and rain hits in (which is pretty god damn often)

Saying something deserves a nerf just because "it does alot of damage" isn't really fair at all. The only people making the arbalest work are the dedicated users. And they are few and far in between.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline 22nd_Hawk_Cmdr_Harlequin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »
I have 5 shield skill and using an Heavy kite shield, usually 50 % of the times it gets pierced and I lose half hp, even with a medium tier armour...

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 02:19:42 pm »
I have 5 shield skill and using an Heavy kite shield, usually 50 % of the times it gets pierced and I lose half hp, even with a medium tier armour...

If they aim right, it pierces 100% of the time, but only very close range.

Try dodging instead of going in a straight line and be happy he didn't headshot you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:21 pm »
If they aim right, it pierces 100% of the time, but only very close range.

Try dodging instead of going in a straight line and be happy he didn't headshot you.

Dodging only works (efficently against skilled xbowmen) if you arent holding your shield up and most of the time the shield either shatters completely after two shots or gets pierced easily, the only way shielders would be able to dodge bolts is if the proj speed got nerfed like on bows, but since that is never going to happen...
the whole "just buy a shield" argument simply doesnt work like against archers.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »
"just buy a shield"

That arguement should be treated as a curseword and be automaticlly censored on this forum. I'd rather buy a bottle of aids and shove in my face then buying a shield.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »
That arguement should be treated as a curseword and be automaticlly censored on this forum. I'd rather buy a bottle of aids and shove in my face then buying a shield.

Enjoy learning to do the arrow dance or enjoy eating arrows/bolts then. This isn't a single player game, one shouldn't be able to be a powerhouse of everything and fill all roles.

Dodging only works (efficently against skilled xbowmen) if you arent holding your shield up and most of the time the shield either shatters completely after two shots or gets pierced easily, the only way shielders would be able to dodge bolts is if the proj speed got nerfed like on bows, but since that is never going to happen...
the whole "just buy a shield" argument simply doesnt work like against archers.

If your shield breaks in one hit of an arbalest you have a weak shield and are getting exactly the performance you paid for. If your shield gets shattered after 2 shots, why is an arbalest shooting you twice? It takes forever and a day to reload those things. Either you didn't make him a priority and you're suffering the consequences, or you're running in a very straight line, which is silly.

As for other xbows, there are few xbows that can break a level 4 shield in 3 shots, let alone 2. Can we have a conversation about balance without people exaggerating wildly so what they don't like will go away, please?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:45:08 pm by Ylca »

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 06:47:46 pm »

Lies Harletroll.  Come to duel and we shall see what utter slander this is.  :P
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 06:56:51 pm »
The thread should have ended here honestly. I mean, my gosh, I can only think of two other people in the NA servers other than myself that can do well with them and even then we are virtually non existent when the fog and rain hits in (which is pretty god damn often)

Saying something deserves a nerf just because "it does alot of damage" isn't really fair at all. The only people making the arbalest work are the dedicated users. And they are few and far in between.

That's the main problem :
An item being balanced when it's raining... i mean... lol
Does that means it's overpowered when it's sunny ?
We had cav maps, and know, we also have "weather maps".

[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 07:05:44 pm »
I'd love for crossbows to be a lot faster at reloading but dealing less damage.

Ever played native? Higher damaging and slower crossbows are a lot worse, compared to faster and less damaging ones.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 07:10:50 pm »
+1
All the other crossbows are fine I think, but the Arbalest is seriously OP.

I was one-shotted by Fallen_With_Stupid's [Masterwork] Arbalest while I was in 38 body armor. I have 21 strength and 7 ironflesh. There was no speed bonus, because he was right in front of me.

No.
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 07:15:39 pm »

Seeing as you've already had a shielder alt...

How'd that bottled Aids taste?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline 22nd_Hawk_Cmdr_Harlequin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 07:18:12 pm »
Pff, happens quite often lately, you mad jack

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »
Any strength build with a good +3 weapon will one-shot you more often than not with those armor/HP stats, why shouldn't a weapon that is twice the price and takes forever to reload?

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »
Ever played native? Higher damaging and slower crossbows are a lot worse, compared to faster and less damaging ones.
I know, crossbows cant compete enough because of their sluggish reload times, archers are getting all the kills by finishing people off, this is why crossbowers almost never top the boards. Instead they are given an insane amount of damage to compensate :/

I don't want native reload times, these are a little bit too fast for me. But tweaking it more is necessary.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 09:58:12 pm »
Seeing as you've already had a shielder alt...

How'd that bottled Aids taste?

Lies!