Author Topic: Make wooden weapons breakable  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Make wooden weapons breakable
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 04:44:15 pm »
+3

Just watch the duel trailer for Shogun 2 when a samurai breaks a polearm weapon with his sword
Will people on these forums stop using movies from hollywood or video games as historical references. When I went through college I was surprised how many of you god damned idiots apparently went through school and missed this little thing called FICTION IS NOT REAL LIFE. KNOCK IT OFF.

Congratulations, someone made a claim that "Historically in real life you could not do this" and your retort is "dot dot dot um... did you miss this one FICTIONAL MOVIE where it happened? I think it is possible bro..."

This is honestly, no joke, the stupidest thing I have EVER read on the c-RPG forums... Seriously. Calling you out on that...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:49:11 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 04:54:49 pm »
+1
This thread made me so happy! Thanks for all the laughs :D
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 05:05:59 pm »
Swords hacking through polearms were mostly just myths and legends.

Excuse me? You know what the purpose of the zweihänder was? To cut a way into pikewall of the enemy to let their own infantry engage.
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is an evidence, that steel swords must be breakable too.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 06:44:12 pm »
Make it so in the middle of a fight theres a chance you have to shit/piss real bad.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 08:38:14 pm »
+2
Make it so in the middle of a fight theres a chance you have to shit/piss real bad.
That would actually be really fun. Could also force those archers who's running away to actually stop. If not they would shit themselves, like the cowards they are, and move REALLY slowly or so the others can come and kill them.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 02:39:48 am »
Oh ya, if you did some research before you made this suggestion, you would see that polearms, clubs, and other weapons with wood were pretty solid. Swords hacking through polearms were mostly just myths and legends. Your average long sword would not be  able to snap a poleaxe in half.

lol sure they were big buddy, actually in history many swiss/german/italian mercenaries preferred twohand greatswords, my swiss ancestors did I know that for a fact, and they loved polearms too but the greatsword was a good weapon for attacking pike formations, because guess what IRL that wood is actually pretty worthless vs a cutting edge

I'd be glad to have you hold as strong a piece of wood you can find over your head while I strike it with a axe, lets see how long that lasts

because lumberjacks actually don't cut down trees, they just yell "TIMBERRR" and they fall over

"The Italian humanist historian Paulus Jovius writing in the early 1500s also described the two-hand great sword as being used by Swiss soldiers to chop the shafts of pikes at the battle of Fornovo in 1495"

(taken from http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html, they got it from this thing called history, but don't worry we don't use it here so keep lying to yourself)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:41:09 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 03:14:26 am »
lol sure they were big buddy, actually in history many swiss/german/italian mercenaries preferred twohand greatswords, my swiss ancestors did I know that for a fact, and they loved polearms too but the greatsword was a good weapon for attacking pike formations, because guess what IRL that wood is actually pretty worthless vs a cutting edge

I'd be glad to have you hold as strong a piece of wood you can find over your head while I strike it with a axe, lets see how long that lasts

because lumberjacks actually don't cut down trees, they just yell "TIMBERRR" and they fall over

"The Italian humanist historian Paulus Jovius writing in the early 1500s also described the two-hand great sword as being used by Swiss soldiers to chop the shafts of pikes at the battle of Fornovo in 1495"

(taken from http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html, they got it from this thing called history, but don't worry we don't use it here so keep lying to yourself)

You may end up being surprised how many people parry rather than block in battles. Cutting edges are a lot less effective when they're not hitting a sturdy target dead on. I'd be willing to bet with the sharpest sword you could find, you wouldn't be able to cut through a bostaff of somebody even at my unskilled level of using it

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 03:18:04 am »
Excuse me? You know what the purpose of the zweihänder was? To cut a way into pikewall of the enemy to let their own infantry engage.

zweihander (literally: two hander) mostly were not used solely against pikes. I'm familiar with the mercenary squad you are referring to though, but they are known solely for the fact that this kind of tactic/ability was incredibly rare.

First off, not many, groups that could lop off a pike were very few and far between. Secondly: it depends on the wood. Some of you posters are under the impression that wood was as easy to cut as paper. This is treated, very dense wood.

Again, further ignorance. It was very rare that you would stop a blade dead with your own weapon. This would be absolutely exhausting, and technically very inefficient. A proper block deflected the enemy's blow rather than stop it. This is a concept that martial artists all over the world have all unilaterally discovered and agree upon.

Again, this is untreated wood. Additionally, lumberjacks don't cut down trees with swords.

As previously mentioned, Paolo Givio makes note of the brigade because the tactic is very unusual.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 05:06:45 am »
thus really real wood hafted weapon blocks were much closer to ingame "chamber blocks" so we should remove blocks from polearms, as the way they are used to block is more akin to a sword block or blocking with a metal weapon

because like seaweed said you couldn't actually just hold a wooden stick over your head and block anything, now maybe a bar mace but definitely not the wooden weapons we do in the game

sounds like a good fix for polearms, remove most blocks as they are unrealistic, chamber like the pro's u are
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:09:52 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 05:46:27 am »
+3
you're such a bad trollobyist
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:41 am »
It is debatable whether the zweihanders were actually used in chopping pikes or merely used to push them aside and make way through them. If this was even remotely possible is because the very long pikes had the lightest poles of the polearms - you simply cannot hold forward a 4-5 meter pole if it is heavy. The torque will tire you in minutes if not less. Spears, halberds and long axes had a much thicker pole made of heavier, much harder, treated wood. Even if braced and hit perfectly with an axe these will still be a real challenge to chop in one go. This is not like splitting firewood, it goes against the fibers.

Extended damage did slowly chip away and weaken the wooden poles and it is very likely that they were replaced after the battle way before being in any danger of snapping. On top of everything, many polearms had extended metal bracers to the head that protected the wood from being damaged at all, thus saving the trouble of replacing them after battle.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:03 am »
Just an added comment:
Zweihanders, like longbows are a stuff of myth more than reality. These were not secret weapons nor of unique technology. The simple fact that they were used by few armies and never got a widespread use should make one careful when considering their true effectiveness. People were not that dumb back then - if they saw an effective weapon and could, they would adopt it.

Care to guess why nobody adopted the Goedendag even though the Flems got good mileage out of it?

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 05:21:03 pm »
+3
Okay guys, back on topic.

The OPer is a moron.

bam. Back on track.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »
Firstly, oak or other strong woods were commonly used to weapon handles, secondly I just want to insert into this terrible topic that a lot of weapons had metal strips on the outside of the pole to reinforce.

Thirdly... People were tought to not block the axe head but to block the axe from it's own handle... This makes sense for wooden weapons and even metal swords (small chips are not cool yo).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.