Author Topic: NA servers dividing community?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
NA servers dividing community?
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:25:34 am »
+1
  I really really really don't mean this to be a post where people complain about this or that in regards to who owns what server etc, I just wanted to make an observation: in the past few nights I have noticed that the NA community is divided beetween the Na 100 and 120 man servers, which makes me sad because I like playing 60 on 60 instead of two 20 on 20 servers. Thoughts? Do people just like it this way?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: NA servers dividing community?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 05:46:58 am »
  I really really really don't mean this to be a post where people complain about this or that in regards to who owns what server etc, I just wanted to make an observation: in the past few nights I have noticed that the NA community is divided beetween the Na 100 and 120 man servers, which makes me sad because I like playing 60 on 60 instead of two 20 on 20 servers. Thoughts? Do people just like it this way?

recruit more ppl.  write steam recommendation, positive blog/forum posts etc etc

its sad when I cant get ANY of my former FPS or MMO buddies to play this game, I dont get it.  Half of them are from old school QUAKE and love SKILL based games, not shitty gear based auto targeting crap MMO pvp.

Offline Raxmus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Raxmus
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:07:07 am »
The cRPG community tends to shun new players and has abusive admins on some servers, the community does not foster new players. People who have grinded forever laugh in the face of certain builds. The "skill" (time investment) requirement is huge. Archery isn't really "fun" anymore due to the complete unrealistic speed of arrows (Paul is full of shit), crossbow reload times are long and often don't pay off even with an arby build, tin cans taking quite a few bolts to take down. Manual blocking is often a case of lag, specific mouse precision, and the proper build/weapon. Learning to manual block requires hundreds of hours in a duel server doing grueling practice with no rewards, and players will often go right through your block due to latency issues, even with pings under 150. Upkeep costs on certain builds are extremely high and only support players with plenty of legacy who have earned their cash long ago.

Unless you're a seasoned veteran or have a masochistic taste for grind or being pigeon holed into certain optimal specs, cRPG is not for you. Native serves as a far better game overall for enjoying the game in a non-nolife manner. I only play cRPG for strategus (and defend the village)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:20:09 am by Raxmus »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:09:21 am »
I feel awkward, playing to have fun and being new to cRPG and not caring for the grind (Since I have so many alts I dare say I don't care about heirlooms that much)... I also don't use optimum specs... :/

I... play to have fun...  :oops:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Raxmus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Raxmus
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 06:13:17 am »
I feel awkward, playing to have fun and being new to cRPG and not caring for the grind (Since I have so many alts I dare say I don't care about heirlooms that much)... I also don't use optimum specs... :/

I... play to have fun...  :oops:

Each community member is unique in their outlook and playstyle, and my post was intended to be a general summary of the majority of people playing the game. Highlighting some of the more interesting aspects of cRPG like DTV (Which needs to be changed to Defend the Village instead of Defend the Virgin, which is highly offensive and childish), and playing strategus as a merc or for a faction. Sieges are also a good opportunity for players to get their feet wet.

cRPG is a kind of game that walks up to you and kicks you in the face until you figure it out and practice for plenty of hours. There are few niche games which are successful on said model, like Dwarf Fortress... and even Dwarf Fortress is far more casual than cRPG.

It is very possible to  make a game fun and interesting, and have a high skill ceiling for skilled players. The Total War series comes to mind.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:17:44 am by Raxmus »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:22:29 am »
It is very possible to  make a game fun and interesting, and have a high skill ceiling for skilled players. The Total War series comes to mind.

Ohhhhhhhhhh I am so in love with that series, especially M2TW:K
Stainless Steel is my favorite mod, and possibly game of all time!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 06:22:52 am »
The cRPG community tends to shun new players and has abusive admins on some servers, the community does not foster new players. People who have grinded forever laugh in the face of certain builds. The "skill" (time investment) requirement is huge. Archery isn't really "fun" anymore due to the complete unrealistic speed of arrows (Paul is full of shit), crossbow reload times are long and often don't pay off even with an arby build, tin cans taking quite a few bolts to take down. Manual blocking is often a case of lag, specific mouse precision, and the proper build/weapon. Learning to manual block requires hundreds of hours in a duel server doing grueling practice with no rewards, and players will often go right through your block due to latency issues, even with pings under 150. Upkeep costs on certain builds are extremely high and only support players with plenty of legacy who have earned their cash long ago.

Unless you're a seasoned veteran or have a masochistic taste for grind or being pigeon holed into certain optimal specs, cRPG is not for you. Native serves as a far better game overall for enjoying the game in a non-nolife manner. I only play cRPG for strategus (and defend the village)

What can we do to fix this? How cab we reach these keeeeeeeeds?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 06:27:20 am »
What can we do to fix this? How cab we reach these keeeeeeeeds?
less fucking grind.
Instant level 30s have fixed that largely, I am glad.
TBH I'd rather gold be done away with grind wise, and just balance shit with cost not in mind. Let people customize and play how they want -- just balance stuff. if people want to grind for heirlooms and stuff, let them. IDK, there is a lot they could do with this mod. Gold can do it's thing for strategus and all, but for casual battle play? It just ends up as a burden messing up item balance and adding un-needed grind.

Back on topic, i do not think they are dividing the community. I may be biased because --> I am so happy with the new servers. They have no server lag! No weapons randomly holding, text chat appearing twice, blocks not occuring/switching on players. It is more smooth. I don't even play on the ATS servers now (since they still haven't fixed their servers yet. Fucked up core or something.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:30:29 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Socrates

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Philosophy is a way of life
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ascended Order
  • Game nicks: Socrates
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:57:48 am »
I always thought what would happen instead if an armor skill was implemented that gave 5 armor each level but the cost of it would be weight in a nicely done formula that I'm too lazy to find out. Then just proceed making every armor 1 armor or 0 so we can customize look instead of by armor value. If people heirloomed armor just make it +2/+3/+4 extra armor on things.
The act of justice is not determined by the state.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 08:02:28 am »
I go back and forth, and so does everyone I play with. I don't see what the issue is.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:23:55 am »
Its no different that when the two main servers were the 80 and the 100. One day the 80 was full, next day the 100 was full. I play where my ping is best.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch