Poll

Lower upkeep on horses?

Yes
89 (57.4%)
No
66 (42.6%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Author Topic: Lower upkeep on horses  (Read 9394 times)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
Re: Lower upkeep on horses
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:11 pm »
Horses are the hugest force multiplier in the game, they are priced accordingly in the upkeep system. One could argue that they are even more powerful than having heavy armor and we all know where even the average cavalry are located on the scoreboards (hint: look up).
Bull, an idiot will just charge in and get himself killed. If he tops the scoreboard, it's because he finds people who are even more retarded and backstabs them.

I'd say only lower repairs on armoured horses, 4.2k for a mamluk horse for instance is overkill.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2011, 03:02:02 pm »
Bull, an idiot will just charge in and get himself killed. If he tops the scoreboard, it's because he finds people who are even more retarded and backstabs them.

I'd say only lower repairs on armoured horses, 4.2k for a mamluk horse for instance is overkill.

So we're balancing on the worst instances of players now? If that were the case, a fool will rush in solo in plate armor without waiting for his team, and get stunlocked to death by a group of enemies. Should we increase the armor on plate based on that observation as well?

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »
So we're balancing on the worst instances of players now? If that were the case, a fool will rush in solo in plate armor without waiting for his team, and get stunlocked to death by a group of enemies. Should we increase the armor on plate based on that observation as well?
no because that isn't the role of infantry, it is the role of cav.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 03:46:05 pm »
+2
this thread isn't about buff cav, its just to make it so you can upkeep even shitty cav without a need for a constant x5
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »
no because that isn't the role of infantry, it is the role of cav.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. The role of cav is to run in solo and die at the beginning of the round? To be impervious to damage? Cav already has insane mobility what is the downside to this advantage? Smart cavalry choose their battles at a whim and simply because there are a few who carry pikes doesn't mean that every other infantryman and especially archers are not insanely vulnerable to a cav flank.

My question remains, why trend down towards the lowest common denominator. Cav is a huge advantage, it should come at a heavy cost, much like plate is a huge advantage and comes at a heavy cost.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2011, 06:10:05 pm »
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. The role of cav is to run in solo and die at the beginning of the round? To be impervious to damage? Cav already has insane mobility what is the downside to this advantage? Smart cavalry choose their battles at a whim and simply because there are a few who carry pikes doesn't mean that every other infantryman and especially archers are not insanely vulnerable to a cav flank.

My question remains, why trend down towards the lowest common denominator. Cav is a huge advantage, it should come at a heavy cost, much like plate is a huge advantage and comes at a heavy cost.

uhm... shields are a huge advantage in some respects. For one thing, non-directional dependant blocking, stopping arrows.
Compared to non shielder classes, a shield is a huge advantage as it makes you invulnerable to ranged fire for a long time. Therefore shields should also come at a heavy cost.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2011, 06:12:54 pm »
Agree, leave horses as it is now and nerf shields.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2011, 06:13:56 pm »
uhm... shields are a huge advantage in some respects. For one thing, non-directional dependant blocking, stopping arrows.
Compared to non shielder classes, a shield is a huge advantage as it makes you invulnerable to ranged fire for a long time. Therefore shields should also come at a heavy cost.

Shields do come at a heavy cost. They are a huge weight disadvantage which slows movement speed which removes the ability to disengage at will. Shields can also be destroyed, and higher level shields have a respectable upkeep cost of their own. Activating the shield slows a shielder down even more and on top of that 1handers have a penalty to weight which is an even greater speed penalty. Toss in the fact that shielders have to pay for both their weapon, their shield, and take a speed penalty and they are pretty balanced. Horses provide an incredible speed boost, give the ability to engage and disengage at will, and provide in similar manner to shield an extra reserve of hitpoints with the only drawback being they are expensive.

I still fail to see the problem here.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2011, 11:31:02 pm »
Am I the only cav who can't even kill a lone archer? They wiggle around and make my horse into a pin cushion. Then I fall off and kill him, and pay a massive wod of cash at the end.

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »
Am I the only cav who can't even kill a lone archer? They wiggle around and make my horse into a pin cushion. Then I fall off and kill him, and pay a massive wod of cash at the end.

your not alone unlike some cav who use the arabian I choose to use a plafrey, rouncey or a destrier and archers can just run around me no matter what way I turn, its really annoying and no cav doesnt have insane mobility its only the arabian that does and that got nerfed because of it so you infomation is outdated on that.
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2011, 05:48:58 pm »
your not alone unlike some cav who use the arabian I choose to use a plafrey, rouncey or a destrier and archers can just run around me no matter what way I turn, its really annoying and no cav doesnt have insane mobility its only the arabian that does and that got nerfed because of it so you infomation is outdated on that.

Any horse is multiple times faster than any infantryman, to say cavalry doesn't have insane mobility is to willfully ignore this fact.

Offline Vlad007

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • My jousting Armour
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2011, 12:10:31 am »
Yesterday on NA 1 My self Cavalieres_Huey and the lads bought out the Plated chargers for some formation couched lance action across a bridge blocked a group of archers and pikeman. God damn it was fun, a couple of times we managed to break throw their formation with about 6-7 of us doing a frontal charge (could only go 2 side by side because it was a narrow bridge). IT was so much fun to be apart of some organised cavalry doing frontal charges. BUT the Fing cost… it cost me over 11k for my 4 rounds of full plate action.

Is that fun no. how long does it take to make 11K as cav on the Aussie server “AGES”. Is this fair? NO.
Reduce up keep of horses or let some open maps be free of up keep. Or let some random rounds be free of up keep so people who are not power gamers can enjoy them selves.
Death or Glory

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2011, 01:31:30 am »

go much slower, be willing to take at least 1 hit while you line up a good swing.  try either thrusts, overheads & backswings instead of instead of forward side swings

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2011, 01:42:28 am »
Yesterday on NA 1 My self Cavalieres_Huey and the lads bought out the Plated chargers for some formation couched lance action across a bridge blocked a group of archers and pikeman. God damn it was fun, a couple of times we managed to break throw their formation with about 6-7 of us doing a frontal charge (could only go 2 side by side because it was a narrow bridge). IT was so much fun to be apart of some organised cavalry doing frontal charges. BUT the Fing cost… it cost me over 11k for my 4 rounds of full plate action.

Is that fun no. how long does it take to make 11K as cav on the Aussie server “AGES”. Is this fair? NO.
Reduce up keep of horses or let some open maps be free of up keep. Or let some random rounds be free of up keep so people who are not power gamers can enjoy them selves.

Have you ever considered how fun it is for other players to fight the medieval equivalent of a tank? Hence why it's designed so that players can use them sometimes, but not always. I'm sorry you can't have mobility and near immunity to damage constantly, but i assure you everyone else on the ground is quite happy with the opportunity to actually play instead of watch a destruction derby.

Offline Vlad007

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • My jousting Armour
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2011, 02:55:59 am »
I can understand what you are saying. But as a cav player I don’t want to ride my full plate set all the time but to use it like 15-20% of the time would be nice, now it is like 3%.

To play as cav gets the attention of every one. What is happening is that Cav are being taken out of the game because of the cost. I would like to be able to use my rouncey for gods sake and not require arms for the poor. As for your argument about mobility and near immunity that is complete BS, mobility yes, but when someone LOLstabs you in 1 shot when you are in full plate I don’t call that immunity.

Cav were extremely important to the success of Medieval armies, this is a Medieval themed game right? Let us at least be able to play with a  horse and some medium armour and make a little cash. I love being fully armoured but totally agree there should be limits, just not the lmiits that are in place currently
Death or Glory