• Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Upkeep
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 01:19:36 pm »
Everytime i use 60k gear and still making money. But it must be lower i think
Heirlooms artificially increase cost, as upkeep is based on the base price not the heirloom inflation.

Are you counting heirlooms? Re-calculate as if you were using standard items and then see what your load-out is.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »
I use there abouts 33-35k depending and i make money relatively fast.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 02:16:59 pm »
"Its too harsh, I cant make any money!"

Which is a lie, cause you just need to equip some peasant gear and you get a lot of money. But imo the upkeep is to high, especially for low tier equipment. I think 125g upkeep for the cheapest sword (short sword) is a little bit to much. And the upkeep for crossbows is ridiculous, I often see people with lowest armor and no melee weapon who just run around with their xbow, cause upkeep would kill them otherwise.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 02:31:27 pm »
Depends on the game mode.

On the siege servers, I lose money playing with an arbalest, steel bolts and spiked mace. Armour is an aketon, mail chausses, mail gloves and kettle helmet. That's 30K and a bit in stuff.

On battle servers I make money with that setup, but only a little. I think I gained a total of about 2k since the last patch.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline thepicpike

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 03:10:12 pm »
Heirlooms artificially increase cost, as upkeep is based on the base price not the heirloom inflation.

Are you counting heirlooms? Re-calculate as if you were using standard items and then see what your load-out is.
you're right i see i'm using 25k gear :P

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »
All this whining about upkeep. :rolleyes:

My default gear loadout is around 75k 40K and i'm still making a profit thus far.

Perhaps i've been lucky so far, but i'd recommend trying to win rounds using teamplay and tactics instead. It seems to work for me.

Edit: removed artifically inflated costs due to heirlooms.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:43:09 pm by Phazey »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »
well, when i play siege with 20 shogunates and have a constant x5, i get money too, but alone pubbing i lose so much :(

also, a horse will set me back quite a bit, at x5 i get 250 gold per round max, repair cost for courser is 1.4k thats almost 6 rounds i have to play at x5 with ONLY the courser breaking to meet upkeep.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:51:19 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 04:12:40 pm »
I dislike that I am being doubly penalized with extra upkeep on my archer.
- Arrows have a significantly higher chance of breaking than other gear (even bolts)
- Melee weapons with low proficiency have a significantly higher chance of breaking

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 04:13:00 pm »
Yeh life got a bit expensive in cRPG. I kinda like it to be honest.

What saves my bacon, besides trying to stay at x5, is retiring. Every time i retire, i gain ~20k because i run around in leather for a bit, which i lose between level 25-31 when using full equipment.

Also going on foot on cav-unfriendly maps helps a lot to keep the upkeep down.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:22 pm »
All this whining about upkeep. :rolleyes:

My default gear loadout is around 75k and i'm still making a profit thus far.

Perhaps i've been lucky so far, but i'd recommend trying to win rounds using teamplay and tactics instead. It seems to work for me.

I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline runemaster

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vic_Rattlehead
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 05:32:51 pm »
I think the upkeep is very close to where it needs to be.  The only problem is with very new players who can't get enough gold to use decent gear.

A solution might be to slightly lower the costs of the lower or medium gear, so it makes it a bit easier for those who are new or manage their money poorly, but still keeps black armor and plated chargers in check?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 05:43:26 pm »
I think the upkeep is very close to where it needs to be.  The only problem is with very new players who can't get enough gold to use decent gear.

A solution might be to slightly lower the costs of the lower or medium gear, so it makes it a bit easier for those who are new or manage their money poorly, but still keeps black armor and plated chargers in check?

This would be fine with me, that if we keep the new upkeep system (still, what was wrong with the old one? The only people who were wandering around in armour 24/7 still do it now due to the millions in reserves that they have) we make the "curve" for prices more pronounced, helping new players who honestly should not have to wait until Gen 2 to be able to build up a proper reserve for nice gear...

Offline Armois

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Armois hates you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Armois
  • IRC nick: LLJK_Armois
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 05:50:59 pm »
Honestly I'd be fine with upkeep as-is if I didn't keep getting dinged for my arrows and my longbow.  I wear laughably cheap armor but getting hit for 1500 in repairs for bodkins x2 and a longbow wipes out any profit I make.  In three days of play I've only netted 5,000- all from x5 streaks.  Prolonged time in the x1 doldrums causes me to lose cash.  I'm not running around with a bec and a tincan I'm just using the only bow that actually can cause a bit of damage to said tincans.

Aside from the increases in arrow cost I'm fine with it.  I don't mind the bows being pricier, the arrows though?  Ugh.