Author Topic: Rolled an archer alt  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Gondemar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Torayama clan, Ninja, ex-Shogunate, ex-Pecores
  • Game nicks: Torayama_Munemori (main) ; Satsujin_the_Unseen ; Gondemar_the_Fat
Re: Rolled an archer alt
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 02:46:44 am »
Lets dispell this myth: "before the patch archer was easy mode and they were all sharp shooters"  Pre-patch we were anything but sharpshooters. I really don't think that people who don't play as archers get this. Pre-patch you were having a good day as an archer if 1 in every 4 of your arrows hit its mark. We always had crap accuracy which is why no pure archer build was ever one of the top 20 players (based off k/d ratio) of cRPG.

There only reason for the nerf was to eliminate archer as a build.

Yeah... No.

Played one pre-patch, and post patch, still OP (And I'm a crappy archer hater, but I found myself enjoying playing one). The night of the patch, I remember playing a lot, and seing a few archers toping several maps. It's all about getting used to the new patch and aim (which is difficult I must admit). You'll still kill melee players and make them rage, don't worry mate :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The Way of the Samurai is found in death ; Torayama Clan
                          Munemori's armory

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 02:48:59 am »
+1
Yeah... No.

Played one pre-patch, and post patch, still OP (And I'm a crappy archer hater, but I found myself enjoying playing one). The night of the patch, I remember playing a lot, and seing a few archers toping several maps. It's all about getting used to the new patch and aim (which is difficult I must admit). You'll still kill melee players and make them rage, don't worry mate :)

Lol, please show your archer actually doing positive k/d post-patch with video, would be unique sight.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 02:55:31 am »

Lol, please show your archer actually doing positive k/d post-patch with video, would be unique sight.

Agreed, OP is an interesting claim. Archers can top the scoreboards (Saw sWalker do it the other night for example) but it takes quite a bit of work and luck (map needs to be rather favorable)...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 03:53:50 am »
+1
Yeah... No.

You mean when the damage boost was in for a few hours?

Yeah, try it now after the hot patches nerfed it properly. And then don't bother posting about crap you don't keep up with  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:46 am »
What I meant was that an even 1:1 K:D ratio was very easy to attain as an Archer, compared to the poor infantry fellows out there. Nowadays even Ninja_Thomek with MW stuff has roughly 1:1 K:D ratio. Perhaps I suck, but I've played as a Ninja over a year.

For the effort required to do 1:1, archery is relatively easy. The level of skill out there is much much higher than it used to be.. Everyone can manual block, there's lots of heavy armored guys there using edgy builds, cav constantly backstabs you, melee is a very though zone. As an archer it's usually easy to find a safe spot and pew pew.

The effort required to do OK as an archer is comparatively low, therefore it should have less potential than more risky playstyles.

(And it's easier to get the hang of, so if it's made too powerful, we will have a heavy influx of archers and we're back to CS)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:57:21 am by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 05:22:22 am »
+1
The effort required to do OK as an archer is comparatively low, therefore it should have less potential than more risky playstyles.

(And it's easier to get the hang of, so if it's made too powerful, we will have a heavy influx of archers and we're back to CS)

And yet before the patch this was all true, so how do you justify yet another nerf?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 06:09:37 am »
+1

You rarely see an archer getting more than 10-12 kills on a map compared to 20-30 for other classes. I call that "reduced potential".
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 07:40:47 am »
+4
Is it me or are a bunch of people, that I don't recognize at all as archers, the ones talking about how archery is still OP or fine right now?  Isn't most of those folks' mains agility builds with light armor who are one of the few people still potentially vulnerable to archers?  Would appreciate some more insights/perspectives from other archers who have it on their main character.

My own perspective - unless I use the longbow for damage, its completely useless to shoot people.  Anyone wearing more than peasant armor takes 4-5 shots to kill (and with lowered shoot speed that means 6-7 more arrows they easily dodged or just missed because they moved in a different direction within the 7 seconds it took the arrow to reach them), and once you get into the heavier mail armor and plate you probably can't kill them with your entire quiver.  With a MW longbow and MW arrows, yes I can still hurt people at close range and the lower end of middle range, but between the slow draw speed and almost exact same low shoot speed as all the other bows its incredibly easy to dodge and only completely oblivious targets running in straight lines will probably get hit (starts to sound like vulture cav).  I did top the charts a couple times with it tonight, but in both cases over half my kills were with the spiked mace. 

But my main problem is that I no longer can play my proper support role.  With slow shoot and draw speed, shooting at an enemy trying to engage your allies is a recipe for teamhitting.  It used to be one of the main ways I helped my team and now the best thing I can do is watch the fight until someone dies and shoot the enemy if he is the one alive.  The other main support role was to pepper enemies with arrows so that as of the last patch, while often those arrows wouldn't kill, they would weaken them enough so that my teammates might be able to kill them in only 2 more hits.  But that support role has also disappeared as anything past 20 feet, an enemy charging toward your allies can easily dodge the arrow shooting at him like its a nerf gun and not  a real weapon.  Archers, like cavalry,  are a support class, so why take away our ability to support instead of doing something like reducing our draw speed or our damage again???? 
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 09:01:24 am »
What I meant was that an even 1:1 K:D ratio was very easy to attain as an Archer, compared to the poor infantry fellows out there. Nowadays even Ninja_Thomek with MW stuff has roughly 1:1 K:D ratio. Perhaps I suck, but I've played as a Ninja over a year.

For the effort required to do 1:1, archery is relatively easy. The level of skill out there is much much higher than it used to be.. Everyone can manual block, there's lots of heavy armored guys there using edgy builds, cav constantly backstabs you, melee is a very though zone. As an archer it's usually easy to find a safe spot and pew pew.

I've personally had better scores on melee than on archer, but then I'm weird and play the archer as 2h half of the time (I also have better k:d with heirloomed crossbow, just saying). But fair enough, I still see a couple of archers doing very well.
Speculating about who has better k:d on the whole is kind of pointless without hard data, and even then it doesn't justify a nerf or buff. F.e. my guess would be that worst k:d are among new shield users but the last thing we need is buff good shielders even more.
Anyway I think a slight nerf to archery is quite good I just say I can't agree with the nerf in this extremity.

So you say archery is safer to go 1:1 (mediocre k:d). Is this really affected by taking away long range potential? I guess outside of really good archers very few archers made many long range kills. What's more the best long range targets are archers since unlike melee who constantly change directions randomly without being aware of you ("oh look a horse") they have predictable movement patterns and often stop to aim, and wear light armor on top. So in fact you take pressure away from the archers, f.e. in the frozen lake map if you can ignore archers shooting from the house you have a much easier time shooting at the infantry that comes close to your boat.

Meanwhile your ability to support teammates, when they are ganged f.e., or shoot horses (wait, there was something about that) are lowered. This hasn't to do anything with skill except seeing in the future. You can adjust for extra arrow drop but not for longer travel time that gives your ally yet another chance to jump into the shot.

Lame archer tactics to avoid having to learn to block (jumpshot) still are fully viable.

So imo if people are encouraged to archer because it's easy to do ok this doesn't really do it. I see the same amount of archers but many good archers frustrated - which can even make it easier since competition falls away. I remember in old strategus archer used to be very stressfull for me, because you always had to compete with other archers, if you didn't make that headshot in that fraction of a second you could see him, you were dead instead (nevermind when I tried to sneak around the cover turn around and suddenly you stand there with a raised katana). I can understand how it wasn't fun for the infantry who didn't have much better armor though.  :lol:

Long story short I'd rather see them make archers better at shooting other archers and horses and worse at defending vs. infantry, but I don't see that accomplished at all. Well, but I can't try archer at the moment, so maybe the whine is just overdone.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2028
  • Infamy: 607
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 10:15:57 am »
We always had crap accuracy which is why no pure archer build was ever one of the top 20 players (based off k/d ratio) of cRPG.

Uhm, not really. In november 2010. archers were super strong and extremely accurate. Also they had like 200 arrows/min shot speed and could headshot from one end of the map to the other.

In my opinion archers always were and always will be biggest pussies that ever played this mod. I would really like to see your crying finally come true "we're so nerfed, better eliminate us completely buhuhu". Do et!

I thouroghly despise every and each of you. Die in a fire, you archer bundle of stickss.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1288
  • Infamy: 2950
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:06 am »
You rarely see an archer getting more than 10-12 kills on a map compared to 20-30 for other classes. I call that "reduced potential".

20-30 kill per map is something that only extremely skilled 2H players can pull out, some less skilled Polearms players (long poles are OP atm) and of course, cavalry. Cavalry is really strong now, because some brainiac from the dev team thought "Hey let's give those mounted guys their charge damage back"... It's not as bad as what it used to be (famous Finn and New_Player_Noob times) but still is really bad seing cav killing people by charging them over and trampling and shet like that. Also horses are cheap merchandise these days and with this marketplace travesty there are bunch of skinners wearing full plate on charger every goddamn round. Balance my ass...

Cavalry, like ranged will always have huge advantage over footman, there is really no need buffing those classes. They should always be a little bit worse stat wise, their power lies in super speed (cavalry) and ranged damage (archers).

But seems that Fasader will never learn. All they did over the course of one year balance wise, was going back and forth, buff something, nerf something. One month is archer FOTM, next is cav lancer, then comes 1h, then back to throwing... It seems that they either don't want or have no clue how to achieve true balance. Trolls, every and each of them!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:33:42 am by Leshma »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 10:56:11 am »
Meh, retired my foot archer alt just before patch, lvl20 now, haven't been playing that much. So, i got a positive K/D with a khergit bow (4 PD) in Ru_Crpg for two maps, which is all about pretty heavily armored shielders. Can't wait till i get to 6PD and my MW longbow :)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:45 am »

I thouroghly despise every and each of you. Die in a fire, you archer bundle of stickss.

This seems to be the driving voice behind archer balance decisions. Precisions was necessary pre-patch, now omniscience is the order of the day. With an incredibly low bow speed an archer as a support class is dead in the water, they are pretty much only useful in siege at the moment as in battle their newly lowered effective range makes them a worse ranged choice than crossbowman.

I get better accuracy (between centershot and significantly faster projectile speed) and more damage with my 1 WPF Well Made Crossbow than I do with my 146 WPF Strong Horn Bow. It's a pretty sad state of affairs at the moment.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2331
  • Infamy: 473
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 11:09:55 am »
chadz is an archer

nuff said  :wink:

Also I'm not sure have you played at that time but there were really sad archer times. Like completely inaccurate and weak arrows damage, I ALMOST had a pity for those poor buggers. Happened around New Years Eve I think.

Also Xbow, seems really strong now. Not like before the upkeep patch when you could hit from distance with 0 wpf but really strong, too much IMO. But Fasader is Xbow afficionado so blame him.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:14:47 am by Leshma »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 11:23:26 am »
Currently its harder for me to dodge arrows, but maybe I only have to get used to the new shooting rythm. Perhaps i will try an archer again with STF, but i found it allways incredible hard to get kills and to have fun with an archer.

hey ylca, is that Stringer Bell? Most awesome character of a TV-show ever. (well perhaps besides Omar, Bubbles, Prop Joe...)