Author Topic: Meet the Archer and Crossbowwoman!  (Read 34316 times)

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
Re: Meet the Archer and Crossbowwoman!
« Reply #300 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:01 pm »
+1
So "This raw data and math is shit.  Instead you should use this anecdotal evidence to base claims by."
 :lol:
As has been stated a gazillion times, and again by Fasader above, the number of kills by any given weapon is a meaningless statistic without knowing how many people use that weapon in a dedicated fashion.

If 10% of players are dedicated crossbowers, 4% of kills indicates crossbows are underpowered. If 1% of players are dedicated crossbowers, 4% of kills indicates crossbows are overpowered. Unless we know how many people are crossbowers, two diametrically opposite conclusions can be drawn from the same statistics.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:05:13 pm by Elerion »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2011, 04:38:43 am »
As has been stated a gazillion times, and again by Fasader above, the number of kills by any given weapon is a meaningless statistic without knowing how many people use that weapon in a dedicated fashion.

If 10% of players are dedicated crossbowers, 4% of kills indicates crossbows are underpowered. If 1% of players are dedicated crossbowers, 4% of kills indicates crossbows are overpowered. Unless we know how many people are crossbowers, two diametrically opposite conclusions can be drawn from the same statistics.

This isn't right either. A more accurate assessment would compare damage output per weapon on the field.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #302 on: August 15, 2011, 06:12:07 am »

But apparently EVERYONE IS AN XBOW USER!  So wouldn't this mean that xbows are VASTLY underpowered?
 :mrgreen:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #303 on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:14 am »
But apparently EVERYONE IS AN XBOW USER!  So wouldn't this mean that xbows are VASTLY underpowered?
 :mrgreen:

I blame the billion 1 wpf lunatics using it as a pistol.   :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #304 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:40 am »
This isn't right either. A more accurate assessment would compare damage output per weapon on the field.
I never said it was accurate. That's why I chose extreme examples. Also, the point was not to present an accurate formula for determining weapon balance, the point was to highlight how utterly meaningless "% of kills" stats are without knowing the other variables.

Damage output isn't logged by the server, afaik.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:22:51 am by Elerion »

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #305 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:55 am »
What do you mean by dedicated, I guess? My favorite archer build is 18/18, favoring a smaller, faster firing bow, having 6 points in Powerdraw, Athletics, Weapon Master, and Power Strike and the remainder in IF or whatever, putting all prof into archery. Fast firing, decently hard hitting, 1 slot bow + 2 quivers + 1slot (I preferred 1hand iberian mace) melee = viable at range against light to high medium armor wearers, viable in melee with 6ps and blunt.

Thing is, your not a dedicated archer.... your a hybrid with that build. Ofcourse you can try find workarounds etc.... but all solutions round down in not being a true archer anymore.
Ive played with the 18/18 build, used a LM and MW Hornbow. I think it is a very OP build.
Lately with the upkeep changes, where the chance for a weapon to break faster if you have no wpf for it.... archer hybrid build seem kinda agaisnt the system. If you know what i mean.

You pay shit tons for your bow/arrows, and ontop of that shit tons for your weapon also sicne you got no wpf. The 18/18 is a money sink hybrid build.

I personally think it would be nice, if xbows had a PD requirement, or a more suitable skillname requirement.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:00:43 am by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2011, 11:14:07 am »
+1
I personally think it would be nice, if xbows had a PD requirement, or a more suitable skillname requirement.

Would be awesome if PD became a requirement for xbows. 5 PD is what... +40% damage?

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:21 am »
Would be awesome if PD became a requirement for xbows. 5 PD is what... +40% damage?

Without the extra damage added ofcourse for xbows  :wink:

I dont know for archers, i thoguht it was 8% for each PD.... but archers have been changed many times.. i lost track.
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Chudleague

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2011, 11:42:13 am »
I'm not a professional archer and so will not claim to be. I do, however, have a recurve bow that is for fun target shooting in my yard. The thing is just a measly 30 lb drawback weight and the arrows are tipped with target points, not "broadhead" razor tips for hunting.

I have never killed anything with my bow but I'm pretty damn sure that if I shot a human, in street clothes, the arrow would pierce flesh and destroy any organ it hit. The man might not die instantly, unless it was to the heart, but he sure as hell would die if he didn't receive MODERN surgical medical treatment.

I know for a fact that my arrow would pierce a quarter inch piece of leather and hit hay on the other side. Id like to say that it might go through some thin metal like tin roofing but I have never personally tried that because its dangerous

This is real personal experience with a wimpy 30 lb draw.

I hit a nekkid guy in crpg today with a longbow, historically they wear easily over 100 lbs draw weights, and the person didn't die. Not only did the arrow not go clean through him and leave him clutching a hole through his body but he continued to run another 30 feet to slash me with a sword.

If you want to talk about realism, talk about realism, don't make shit up.

I fully support that archers should have to dedicate their build to master archery where crossbows do not; because its realistic.
I like that crossbowmen have faster missile speeds for that is realistic.
I even like the fact that crossbows do more damage vs heavier armor, for that is still realistic.

What Id like to see is that archers draw time decreased, but their reticle hold time also severely shortened. (Your not gonna hold a 100+ draw bow back for long) This would be realistic.
Id also like to see archers get an accuracy buff, shooting bows is not a hard skill to master. It was the strength to draw back the crazy heavy bows that took years of dedication. Realistic.
Id also like Archery to get a missile speed increase as I feel the arrows drop unrealistically fast, we need them to be very close to crossbows arcs.
Id also like the bows damage to be buffed to be only slightly lower than crossbows vs lighter armor.
Versus higher armor, say 50-55ish, the  current disparity is okay. I feel most arrows would bounce off plate armor unless it found a seam/niche that took all its force or a joint that was only chain mail. But I might be wrong about this part but I'm speaking from personal experience and I've never shot a 100+ lb bow.

This seems like it would eliminate crossbows but really it would just lower the number of pure crossbowmen because melee classes could and would still pick one up to deal with ranged because they need need 0 skill to shoot it on an equal level with what pure archer builds have now. Which again is realistic and what actually happened back then.

What I actually see happening:
Archers loved to shoot, now they are gimp, no more fun.
They switch to pure crossbowmen.
Now there are few archers left and everyone is crossbow.
Crossbowmen do more ranged damage and are more accurate, and are not free kills in melee.
Melee QQ'ers are gonna QQ.
"He hit me with xbow for 60% and then hit with 2 hand 1 slot mace for 25%, knockdown, and hit me on the ground. WTF OMG!!!11one"
Xbows get nerfed to gimp town. Now population: 2

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:36 pm »
thats how the system works tho, cry enough things get nerf even if they are fair then when they are nerfed from there balanced state, something becomes OP/better by far, take cav for example  :wink: ,i mean that with the angle xbows and archers can jump around our horse n kill us easier. na jk its still fun killing on cav, so many people think that angle nerf boned us, and it just seems to make people aim for me not my horse idk why but i am still killing in face to face fights by that i mean ground to my horse combat where im not back stabbing but instead lancing to his face
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:07:48 pm by tankmen »
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #310 on: August 15, 2011, 09:05:53 pm »
I dont know for archers, i thoguht it was 8% for each PD.... but archers have been changed many times.. i lost track.

8% PS, 10% PT, 14% PD.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2011, 09:09:38 pm »
8% PS, 10% PT, 14% PD.

Yep, but I though the dev messed up with these values at one point?
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:23 pm »
Yep, but I though the dev messed up with these values at one point?

Supposedly those are the numbers in effect now. I dunno about anything in the past.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2011, 09:32:32 pm »
Those numbers are Native values.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Fasader

• Vain onion-eyed pigeon egg
  • Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • Item unbalancer
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fasader, Mlatimir, Fasadripac, Modnar
  • IRC nick: Fasader
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:45 pm »

Maybe add the swagger. Ah yes, also damage dependency on wpf, <skillname> and strength.
21:33:22 BaldRider: Poem submission: okiN is fat, chadz is blue, Fasader is pretty sexy, but not you.

https://soundcloud.com/shitfactory/father-and-panos