Author Topic: Archery Nerfed  (Read 17432 times)

Offline Gawin

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • My pic ^^
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Gawin, Fallen_SantaRudloph, PR_Red_Ranger the leader of the power rangers
Archery Nerfed
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:48:58 am »
+6
Dear chadz,

My name is Fallen_Gawin and i would like to ask you why did you destroy archery? If you did not want archerey in this game why did you put it in? Every time you nerf archery my fellow clan-mates had to work VERY hard to make archery even worth playing. Archery was fine before the last few patches, but now you messed it up so badly that it would take more than 12 shots to kill a medium armoured person. I do not think that this is historicly correct, for instance English longbow men could 1-2 shot a plated knight 50 feet away, and thus why should not our own archers be able to this? I am not saying make archery soo over powered like that, but atleast make it playable to say 7-8 shot a plated knight, and if the two-handed spammers complain about archers why do they not just become shielders and make a tactic to fight against archery? Such as using THROWING WEAPONS (which you buffed up like crazy) when they chase us they could 1 hit most of us because of light amour, but NO! The "two handed spammers" are like little kids who whine about everything if they lose, and you are like their parents "bending the rules" to make them win. Why not make them create their own tactics to deal with archers instead of "whining to their parents" (you and other admins)? Like my clanmates they worked many hours to perfect "archery tactics" to fight against infintry, and even after many nerfs we never ONCE complained about how horrible archery was, but instead we took it like mature human beings and did something about it instead of "whining to our parents", but now archerey is so horrible that we will probably have to go back to the drawing box and it would probably take 1-2 months to make archery playable, but then the "two handed spammers" would whine again and thus make you nerf it again and again and again.

This message was not made to insult you or any other admins, This is just a message to state the facts about how c-rpg people are like.

A Fallen player of this game,
                                                                                                                        Gawin
p.s. im posting this here because i cannot p.m. chadz

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Archery Nerfed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:02:42 am »
+1
I like archery now though... I think the change is awesome. I don't see the big deal everyone is making.
Besides, they didn't change your damage at all. However, they did fix the retarded broken damage bug that happened when the bigger patch went live lol.
Gravity bonus & speed bonus for archery is actually bigger now then before. Plus archery is more accurate now! I still consider this a buff at the end of the day.

Everybody
does more normalized damage now, it is less randomized. That was a change across the board. Arrows won't glance anymore (ever shot at goretooth? Only longbows and headshots didn't glance.). At the same time, it now takes everybody a hit or more to kill someone. I think this change was really good.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:07:35 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline mandible/splinteryourjaw

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:43:59 am »
I agree.  It feels like archery is not wanted at all.  I'm not asking for realism, but I'm a real life archer and I can tell you that with our low power hunting bows (60 lbs) we get 300 feet per second.  Even at 300 fps you can kill a deer dead in its tracks.  I have friends that can shoot your eye out at 100 yards (I never shoot over 40 yards myself.)  We shot a metal lawn trailer for fun.  The arrow went through the front steel side and exited out the back steel tailgate from 35 yards.

IRL the long bow was OP and it was a killing machine until technology caught up.  Its sole purpose was to thin the crowd and affect morale.  Todays armor has been technologically improved and can most likely stop the long bows super arrow, but back then damage was done. 

I know a lot of people whine about archery not being realistic, but how many men fought with 8 arrows hanging out of thier body.  This is a game and some things can't be realistic.  If archers, not just one or two but several, consistently topped the charts then ok nerf archery...this isn't the case though as according to the stats it looks like only one archer is even in the top 75.

Today I put 6 bodkins from a mw horn bow into a guy wearing light strange armor, before he finally ran out of range.

I put 6 more in a crossbowman dressed in a brynie before he died.

I can't see my arrows flight path or hear it hit.

On the other hand aren't the following things impossible IRL and possibly unbalanced in game mechanics;

1. I was one shotted by a jarid, which seems fair until you consider I had just spawned in BFE.  Jarids that go 50 miles at 4756 mph (or how about  50 km at 2487 km/h)??????  There is no way you can throw something faster than an arrow can travel.

2.  Probably lag, but I see axes coming, dodge, and they seem to curve into me.

3.  Men in heavy armor 20 feet away jump as I release my arrow and still manage to slash my face in half before the arrow leaves the bow.

Plenty more but I'll stop.

The game also seems to have sped up, but that may be because I play on a laptop and have never used a mouse with the wasd keys...I've just started trying to train myself how to play with the mouse and my muscle memory isn't there yet so the picture is jittery and my reactions are slowed.

Anyway giving in to the whining only causes more whining.  I'm not asking for a change, you will change what you want when you want, after all this is your house.  Its just the update/patch had not even been Dl'ed yet and it seemed people were already whining that the archery nerf wasn't big enough.  The only constructive comments you received came from archers themselves who aknowledged  a bug and gave specific feedback.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:03:14 am »
+3
I like archery now though... I think the change is awesome. I don't see the big deal everyone is making.
Besides, they didn't change your damage at all. However, they did fix the retarded broken damage bug that happened when the bigger patch went live lol.
Gravity bonus & speed bonus for archery is actually bigger now then before. Plus archery is more accurate now! I still consider this a buff at the end of the day.

Everybody
does more normalized damage now, it is less randomized. That was a change across the board. Arrows won't glance anymore (ever shot at goretooth? Only longbows and headshots didn't glance.). At the same time, it now takes everybody a hit or more to kill someone. I think this change was really good.

Actually you are wrong, the lowered shoot speed and armor changes make arrows do about half as much damage as before unless someone is compeltely naked.  I am getting shot by guys with 8 pd and a mw longbow from 10 feet away and it only takes 25% of my health where before it would take 45-55% witht he same armor.  Also, arrows incredibly easy to dodge, I switch to my melee armor (no shield) and I can rack up a bunch of kills just going after archers.  Xbows, need to be slightly wary adn throwers you need to be really cautious of as they do crazy damage and can throw 3 items in the time 1 archer can shoot 1 arrow and are accurate to almost the same range as an archer.  Might respec into xbow/2her until they eventually fix this then respec back to archer once its clear how unbalanced archery has become to all other ranged classes.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:08:21 am »
+6
Sadly, I must agree. After testing this out a bit yesterday (MW horn bow, MW bodkins, PD 8), I'd say archer is underpowered compared to xbow and throwing at the moment. The damage is too low.

For the record, I truly test these things. Compared against an alt with arbalest and 150 WPF in xbow, and thrower + various throwing weapons with 12 PT.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:11:29 am by Everkistus »

Offline Gawin

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • My pic ^^
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Gawin, Fallen_SantaRudloph, PR_Red_Ranger the leader of the power rangers
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:09:32 am »
if only chadz will read this maybe he/she will understand and fix it

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:49 am »
+1
I agree.  It feels like archery is not wanted at all.  I'm not asking for realism, but I'm a real life archer and I can tell you that with our low power hunting bows (60 lbs) we get 300 feet per second.  Even at 300 fps you can kill a deer dead in its tracks.  I have friends that can shoot your eye out at 100 yards (I never shoot over 40 yards myself.)  We shot a metal lawn trailer for fun.  The arrow went through the front steel side and exited out the back steel tailgate from 35 yards.

There is a huge difference between shooting a "low power hunting bow" from 2000 made from composites and nylon and a hunting bow made from wood and string from the 1000s. I have to imagine your bow is a compound hunting bow, which definitely can shoot through the tough reinforced steel of a lawn mower and the steel tailgate. Where the hell do you get a lawnmower made of solid steel anyways, that thing must chug gasoline like an alcoholic.

Excuse me if I don't believe a couple of "real life" archers over experimentation and science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:19:20 am »
Excuse me if I don't believe a couple of "real life" archers over experimentation and science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

NOT
THIS
VIDEO
AGAIN.
(it's giving me nightmares.)  :mrgreen:
Seriously. I'm sick of those guys who tell how real it is.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:32:57 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:35:05 am »
Get your realism out of my game balance thread.

Shoo.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:39:22 am »
+1
There is a huge difference between shooting a "low power hunting bow" from 2000 made from composites and nylon and a hunting bow made from wood and string from the 1000s. I have to imagine your bow is a compound hunting bow, which definitely can shoot through the tough reinforced steel of a lawn mower and the steel tailgate. Where the hell do you get a lawnmower made of solid steel anyways, that thing must chug gasoline like an alcoholic.

Real science yeah. Except that they use the wrong kind of arrow head against the armor to begin with. Not to mention that the armor is the very first kind of steel plate that excisted.  :rolleyes:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 06:43:17 am »
for instance English longbow men could 1-2 shot a plated knight 50 feet away

Cool.  In what game?  Cause that's for damn sure not any reality in this plane of existence.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:41 am »
Cool.  In what game?  Cause that's for damn sure not any reality in this plane of existence.

cRPG, Last night before hotfix  :mrgreen:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 06:59:00 am »
+1
cRPG, Last night before hotfix  :mrgreen:
dohohohohoho and 6 months ago.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Inhumanetie

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DoG
  • Game nicks: Inhumane, Arsebiscuits
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 07:12:31 am »
I an Archer with 6 PD MW Rus Bow AND MW Bodkins and i seem to do fine with my bow and get a few ranged kills then when i run out of arrows i run in and spam my Mighty Mace and get a few melee kills be4 i can taken out.

U need to stop thinking about realism and think about the fun for others players also, this is why HA's should be banned coz no one has fun when they are around. :D

Also with any luck this will make it so there are not as many archers as more coz it was ruining the game with the amount of decicated ranged such as HA, Archers and Xbowmen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:14:30 am by Inhumanetie »

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:46 am »
The lowered missile speed sucks...

My mw-longbow has a rage like a toy-bow for kids...

The max rage is only 150/170meters now.
The max rage of a very very good longbow could be up to 500meters in real (with flight-arrows).

My arrows are flying like in timewarp... it looks so bad and unrealistic.

Ich hope they will give us the old missile speed back. :cry: