Author Topic: Disregard my HORSE BURF  (Read 927 times)

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
Disregard my HORSE BURF
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:36:08 pm »
+1
Once upon a time I created a thread in the suggestions forum. In it, I bitched about cavalry, stating that while balanced, the means of achieving that balance was fucked up. I pointed out the the only horses being used with great frequency were the extremely fast and maneuverable ones, with bundle of sticks lancers astride them. I proposed that horses get their speed and maneuver nerfed, but their HP buffed. More survivability, less ninja pussies.

Fuck that, its a dumb suggestion.

We already have horses with high HP and armor, but low speed and maneuver. There is no need to fuck with the stats of the most popular horses (the unarmored ones). I was right when I said that cavalry was balanced, because it is: their horses are fast but killable, and are easily raped by projectile weapons and long pointy shit. The problem is, cavalry itself is unbalanced; there is no Yin to the Yang, for the Yang is too fucking expensive to realistically consider using.

The current pricing of horses is flawed. Instead of making the best horses the most expensive--as one might expect--the horses are priced regarding style. Tank horses are really expensive, but nimble horses are affordable. This doesn't make any fucking sense. Neither horse is better than the other, they're just different sides of the same coin. Different paths to the same destination. Yin and Yang. Superman and Batman. Penises and helicopters. You get the idea.

Here are the horses listed by price. I seperated the tough ones from the fast ones with pretty colors:
Sumpter, Rouncey, Palfrey, Steppe Horse, Desert Horse, Courser, Arabian Warhorse, Destrier, War Horse, Large Warhorse, Cataphract Horse, Charger, Mamluk Horse, Plated Charger

When one looks at the list of horses, arranged by price, there is a clear line drawn between the fast horses and the survivable horses, and thats wrong, for survivable horses are not BETTER than fast horses, merely conducive to a different style of play. I'm not saying the Destrier should be as cheap as the sumpter, or that the Courser is the exact equal of the Mamluk Horse. I am, however, saying that horse prices should be altered so that they reflect the relative best-ness of each horse, rather than the percentage of the horse's body which is covered in shiny metal.

Maybe if the manly horses were affordable, we'd see more manly cavalry players, and less naked lance cavalry bundle of sticksry.

Don't try to refute my arguement by harkening back to "THE DARK DAYS OF THE TANK HORSES". Upkeep exists now, and I'm not suggesting the charger should cost 5 gold to repair. Don't say "heavy cav does the OP because they big", they're slow, vulnerable, can't turn on a dime, can be stopped by a polearm thrust, and their riders are still soft and squishy. Don't bring up an innacurate historical/realism arguement like "horses had wings during the middle ages (1800-1674), and there was grass (pre-industrial grass), therefore gold."

PS: Don't ask me to come up with exact prices for heavy cav. I have no idea how the upkeep system works exactly, nor am I appropriatly skilled at attaching amazingly specific (random?) numbers to items based on their quality. I hate numbers.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: Disregard my HORSE BURF
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
+3
Did you seriously just repost the same thing you already posted in the balance subforum? Which means this is at least the 3rd thread you made about the exact same topic. The word "burf" is already stupid enough to never be used once. But now there's around 3 threads with it in the title.

Offline Bromagi

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:08:58 pm »
Always wanted to ride a War Horse(tank) .. but never really had the money to ride it frequently enough for it to be a part of my combat style.. good suggestion imo and deserves a chance to be tried out.
"A pint of ale will make your nipples stale"- Brogg

Offline Skurcey

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: =BoB=
  • Game nicks: BoB_Skurcey
  • IRC nick: Skurcey
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:21:02 pm »
high price is meant so people dont ALWAYS take their horse, and must play infantery
=BoB= Only the petals of fire will give me peace ***
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:48:19 pm »
if u decrease heavy horse's price it will make archers and xbow man even more vulnerable... currenly with a strongbow i need 19 hits to kill a cataphract. Long bow needs around 7 shots.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »
+1
Dehitay: I did copy and paste, because, unless you havn't noticed, this forum is the suggestions forum. The other forum is for discussing game balance and throwing ideas around--and whining, and this one is for actual suggestions directed towards the development team and community in general. I posted my idea in the other forum, hoping to spark discussion and get some feedback. After getting feedback, I posted in the suggestions forum with my actual suggestion. I changed some words around, which you may have noticed had you read The Posts Which Shall Not Be Named

The first Post Which Shall Not Be Named was a foolish one. I chose to retract it, offer an alternative, but let the community provide input before doing so.

I know The Word Which Shall Not Be Spoken Of is upsetting, I'm sorry for using it, and I thank you for revealing just how many times The Sinister Utterance has appeared. Were it not for your detective work, I may have made the mistake of making another thread. That would be terrible, for, as you are aware, I have created a monster. I'm sure there are others like you, who even now sit at their computers with faces twisted in horror and cheeks stained by disbelieving tears, counting and recounting the number of threads I've made wherein The Word Which Shall Not Be Spoken Of appears. I'm sorry for the pain and hurt I've caused...

I'm so sorry...

Anyway, while you return to your counting, I'd like for some more feedback (about horses). I'm getting the feeling that nobody gives a fuck, which just cannot be true.

Ming: You make a good point. I'd like to point out that you're not the only one shooting at the heavy horses though. You must factor in the projectiles of many other archers, xbowmen, and (not so many) throwers. The xbow's pierce damage does hurt quite a bit.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:14:35 pm »

Ming: You make a good point. I'd like to point out that you're not the only one shooting at the heavy horses though. You must factor in the projectiles of many other archers, xbowmen, and (not so many) throwers. The xbow's pierce damage does hurt quite a bit.
u made a good point too but u need to factor the amount of horses as well :)
ps: I am a cav myself too
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:15:36 pm by Ming »