Author Topic: Questions about Shields and Body Armor  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Narestel

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
    • The Coalition forum
  • Faction: The Coalition
  • Game nicks: Narestel_HRE
Questions about Shields and Body Armor
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:09 pm »
Hi all,

I have several newbie questions:

1) I will start with the most stupid question. Let me know if I'm wrong: I guess that, for body armor, only the ones named like *Heraldic* are the only ones that actually show the heraldics when you wear them, right? And could you please tell me which are the shields that show the heraldics on them as well? I would say that only the ones shown in white color at the shield shop, but I'd prefer you confirmed it before I waste my money  :wink:

2) What do you value most in shield statistics and WHY? Bonus to body armor, hit points, speed... BTW, for speed I've read another thread where it seems that nobody can confirm its actual use but, anyway, it would be nice if you let me know your thoughts on the best kind of shields in relation price/quality (I'm not planning to acquire very expensive stuff so I don't end up losing money, hehe). Oh, and in case it helps you out: The main use that I would have for the shield is to try to survive as much as possible in battles/sieges while in the middle of the action, so not for dueling.

3) Which of the heraldic armor do you prefer? I see that the heraldic mail, the heraldic with surcoat and the heraldic with tabard have the same value of body armor + leg armor, but the price varies a little bit... Would you actually recommend more body armor even if it's more expensive?

4) What would you suggest to heirloom first? Body armor as it would be used for any build that I use later on, (be it polearms as of now, 1H that I'm going to try afterwards, etc)?

5) And, finally, the craziest question: Has anybody tried with a character with both shield and polearm? I know that, if wearing the shield, you can only stab with the polearm with one hand, but I mean if somebody has done well switching the shield so you can use your polearm as usual (2H) and then using shield and pole (1H) for certain situations.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Questions about Shields and Body Armor
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:25:08 pm »
+1
#2, i guess you missed the DEV post confirming what speed does for a shield.  And I pick what task I want the shield to do for me, ranged protection or melee protection.  Wider shields like round/broad shields have much better ranged protection compared to heaters/kites.  If there arent many ranged players I'll go heater.  If my team is getting picked apart by ranged enemies, I'll go round/broad/huscarl to protect myself and shield allies.

I typically value armor more than HP.  Extra HP means your shield will take 1 or 2 extra hits from axe, but armor means non axe weapons will have to beat on it ALOT more in order to break it.

If you are new, use a faster shield, which is more forgiving and you're able to get your block up quicker.  A slower shield is going to get you killed alot til you learn the game better.

Shields arent an expensive piece of equipment for the protection they afford you.  You can wear light armor and use a heavy shield and be far under the cost of expensive armors.

#5 You might consider selling your first loom point for lots of extra cash.  Buy more gear and figure out what suits you and what you like best.  If you loom armor you are likely to move on to something heavier/lighter for your playstyle.  If you loom a weapon you're likely to find out it sucked or find something better.

I'm gen8 and still alternate weapons trying to find what I like best.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:35:52 pm »
+1
Hi all,

I have several newbie questions:

1) I will start with the most stupid question. Let me know if I'm wrong: I guess that, for body armor, only the ones named like *Heraldic* are the only ones that actually show the heraldics when you wear them, right? And could you please tell me which are the shields that show the heraldics on them as well? I would say that only the ones shown in white color at the shield shop, but I'd prefer you confirmed it before I waste my money  :wink:

2) What do you value most in shield statistics and WHY? Bonus to body armor, hit points, speed... BTW, for speed I've read another thread where it seems that nobody can confirm its actual use but, anyway, it would be nice if you let me know your thoughts on the best kind of shields in relation price/quality (I'm not planning to acquire very expensive stuff so I don't end up losing money, hehe). Oh, and in case it helps you out: The main use that I would have for the shield is to try to survive as much as possible in battles/sieges while in the middle of the action, so not for dueling.

3) Which of the heraldic armor do you prefer? I see that the heraldic mail, the heraldic with surcoat and the heraldic with tabard have the same value of body armor + leg armor, but the price varies a little bit... Would you actually recommend more body armor even if it's more expensive?

4) What would you suggest to heirloom first? Body armor as it would be used for any build that I use later on, (be it polearms as of now, 1H that I'm going to try afterwards, etc)?

5) And, finally, the craziest question: Has anybody tried with a character with both shield and polearm? I know that, if wearing the shield, you can only stab with the polearm with one hand, but I mean if somebody has done well switching the shield so you can use your polearm as usual (2H) and then using shield and pole (1H) for certain situations.

1. Correct. If it's white, it's heraldric.

2. Let me break these down:

Body armor: reduces the damage before it affects your shield hit points.

Hit Points: pretty obvious. How much damage it can take.

Speed Rating: One thing you should know, a shield's animation HAS NO BEARING on whether it's blocking or not. A shield with 100 speed will block even if it's not all the way up. A shield with a speed rating of say 61 won't block right away even when it is all the way up. So, the actual animation is irrelevant as far as blocking. To summarize; you can tap block with a 100 speed shield, slower shields you have to be more careful. Just so you know though, I have no problems blocking attacks with my 87 speed shield and 5 shield skill.

If you get a shield with high body armor, it is very effective against any weapon that's not a shield breaker as high armor shields often have low hitpoints. If you plan on using your shield against shield breaker weapons, you're better off using one with a ton of hitpoints. To get the best of both worlds, just put your shield away and manual block against shield breakers. Round shields offer the best overall coverage from arrows and from people attacking around the sides. With heater shields, kite shields and board shields you need to watch your facing more.

3. Armor is entirely about preference. Pick armor that you think looks cool and offers decent coverage. The important things to remember is the more weight you have on, the slower you move and the more your WPF is reduced. Personally, I use a loomed Heraldric Mail with Tabard.

4. As of right now, you'll get the most efficient looms with armor, (especially gloves for the amount of protection you get for weight) however a lot of people still loom their weapons first. If you plan on switching up your weapons a lot, armor would probably be better for you too.

5. Using a polearm with shield (especially the awlpike) is FANTASTIC if you're playing with other people. If you're running around by yourself expect to get smacked around. If you're running with other people it is ridiculously good. The awlpike itself is a fantastic weapon if you get good at it. If you're on NA and you see Noobie_ATS watch him wreck people with that thing.

Hope this helps.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Narestel

• Noble
    • View Profile
    • The Coalition forum
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:48:59 pm »
Thanks for your answers!  :D

Digglez:

For #4: I thought that the heirloom points must be spent in any of your current items once you decide to retire. How can you sell that point then, putting it into a piece that people are asking for in the trade forums or is it there any other easiest way?

Rustyspoon:

For #5: Why exactly the Awlpike? Because of its weapon reach (stabbing while using the shield)? Or is it a 1H polearm?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:19:09 am »
To answer both questions...

You list a loom point for sale in the forums. Someone buys it and tells you what they want. You then heirloom that item and list it in the marketplace.

Awlpike has great length, decent speed and a fantastic pierce. You can use it with or without shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:16:17 am »
To answer both questions...

You list a loom point for sale in the forums. Someone buys it and tells you what they want. You then heirloom that item and list it in the marketplace.

Awlpike has great length, decent speed and a fantastic pierce. You can use it with or without shield.

I like the awlpike as a support weapon as well, the other spears 150 length leave you open for counterattacks, where the 165 of awlpike you are in relative safety.  Plus the stun effect of it seems greater than the other spears.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:31:14 am »
1h+pole give much versality, you can go 1handed when you face several enemies, go pole+shield when with your mate to poke the enemy and go back under protection of your shield (or for cav), or you can go pole only, very usefull with a pike or long spear (to poke opponent far away) even with a poleaxe (and such) to deal great damage or a great maul for siege (and dtv!).

Btw, can someone confirm the malus of pole+shield, i heard the warspear is the last pole that have no malus?

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:55 pm »
I'm fairly sure all poles have a malus when used with a shield.

Offline Narestel

• Noble
    • View Profile
    • The Coalition forum
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:07:24 pm »

Ok, thanks. I've seen in this thread that heirlooming +1 a heraldic mail either with tabard or surcoat, would only put +2 body armor and +2 leg armor... It seems it doesn't make a big difference... So I guess I could live without keeping the heirloom point for me :D

Which are the exact steps for selling my loom point?

1. Buy the piece that I've been asked to heirloom (does it matter if I can use it or not?).
2. Retire at lvl 31 so I will be asked to select which item to heirloom.
3. Have my char as main character so I can access the market.
4. Put the heirloomed piece for sale with the price agreed for the heirloom point (I've read that it can be sold up to 450k) + the price that I payed for the piece?

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Sorry for going off-topic  :oops:

Offline asheme

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 07:42:54 pm »
Yeah, you have to be able to use an item to loom it.