Author Topic: War Bow Build?  (Read 643 times)

Offline espooo

• Banned hacker
  • Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • I am always getting hunted down.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Calradia (Bridgeburners)
  • Game nicks: Espo_BRD
  • IRC nick: Espo
War Bow Build?
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »
Can anyone provide me with a build for the War Bow?

I heard you have to take 7 or 8 PD in order for it to be effective, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks,
Espo
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:23:05 pm by espooo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: War Bow Build?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »
Can anyone provide me with a build for the War Bow?

I heard you have to take 7 or 8 PS in order for it to be effective, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks,
Espo

Having played multiple builds for that bow (some of which the newest patch have made impossible, like my 30/12 build), here is my glorious opinion on the subject matter:

6 PD is interesting, and after having done an 18/21 build I have come to the conclusion that you may as well just use a Strongbow at that point.

Assuming a level 30 build:

21/18 will allow you to hit rather hard and snipe well, a very nice build as it leaves extra points for a respectable amount of iron flesh (allowing you to take an extra arrow), or a modest amount of power strike for giggles with your hammer.

24/18 is possible at 30, though perhaos best done as the base of a 31+. At level 30 this will leave you very little athletics and thus will turn you into a very hard hitting turret that can snipe rather well.

24/15 is good for running inside packs of infantry, or near them, and doing hard hitting accurate shooting from a close-support or mid-range shooting. You will hit very hard, yet 5WM and 5 ATHL will still allow you to shoot accuratley at infantry about to engage your melee, and run fast enough to keep up with them. You do not however have the minimum 6+ athletics to run away from enemy infantry and turn/shoot/run etc so it is imperative that you stick with friendlies.

I personally did rather well with the 21/18 build as 6ATHL 6WM 7PD and about 4-ish IF allowed me to snipe other archers yet hit hard enough and accurately enough at range that I could threaten anyone. With a Fine warbow and the weakest arrows, I could still 4-shot Tyrian and he is one of my standards to kill top-gear-skill players due to his ability to dodge and his armour (transitional and spiffy gauntlets and helm).

TL:DR
You need at least 6ATHL to run away, 7PD to hit properly hard and not lose arrow speed at range, and 150wpf to snipe.

Currently I am going to retire one last time then works towards a 24/18 build for 31 and eventually reach 34 for a 27/18. I know a very successful warbow user who is a 21/24 and that works out very well for him and he tops socreboards regularly, but that is a bit beyond your normal level...

EDIT: Remember that while the 1 slot strongbow allows you to fight it out in melee for having the potential for a proper melee weapon, the 2 slot war bow does not allow you to survive in melee, so don't do it. Your hammer is best ofr a last ditch defense. To hell with any melee user that wants to fight you, you have a 0 slot weapon so just run. Don't be stupid. Melee is for strongbows, warbows and longbows must snipe or they will die. Already an archer is at a penalty to melee due to a lower PS and wpf for melee as well as the crap armour, add to the 0 slot weapon that has to be used for a warbow user, and you are going from a gimp melee to a cripple fight.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:28:09 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline espooo

• Banned hacker
  • Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • I am always getting hunted down.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Calradia (Bridgeburners)
  • Game nicks: Espo_BRD
  • IRC nick: Espo
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »
Having played multiple builds for that bow (some of which the newest patch have made impossible, like my 30/12 build), here is my glorious opinion on the subject matter:

6 PD is interesting, and after having done an 18/21 build I have come to the conclusion that you may as well just use a Strongbow at that point.

Assuming a level 30 build:

21/18 will allow you to hit rather hard and snipe well, a very nice build as it leaves extra points for a respectable amount of iron flesh (allowing you to take an extra arrow), or a modest amount of power strike for giggles with your hammer.

24/18 is possible at 30, though perhaos best done as the base of a 31+. At level 30 this will leave you very little athletics and thus will turn you into a very hard hitting turret that can snipe rather well.

24/15 is good for running inside packs of infantry, or near them, and doing hard hitting accurate shooting from a close-support or mid-range shooting. You will hit very hard, yet 5WM and 5 ATHL will still allow you to shoot accuratley at infantry about to engage your melee, and run fast enough to keep up with them. You do not however have the minimum 6+ athletics to run away from enemy infantry and turn/shoot/run etc so it is imperative that you stick with friendlies.

I personally did rather well with the 21/18 build as 6ATHL 6WM 7PD and about 4-ish IF allowed me to snipe other archers yet hit hard enough and accurately enough at range that I could threaten anyone. With a Fine warbow and the weakest arrows, I could still 4-shot Tyrian and he is one of my standards to kill top-gear-skill players due to his ability to dodge and his armour (transitional and spiffy gauntlets and helm).

TL:DR
You need at least 6ATHL to run away, 7PD to hit properly hard and not lose arrow speed at range, and 150wpf to snipe.

Currently I am going to retire one last time then works towards a 24/18 build for 31 and eventually reach 34 for a 27/18. I know a very successful warbow user who is a 21/24 and that works out very well for him and he tops socreboards regularly, but that is a bit beyond your normal level...

Thanks, I knew you could help me out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:58 pm »
Thanks, I knew you could help me out.

No problem, best of luck!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.