Author Topic: Egyptian Sickle Sword?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: Egyptian Sickle Sword?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 06:03:24 pm »
well, compare it to the other 0slot items you get about 18-21 damage, blunt or cut doesnt matter,

Against medium armour (45) the ESS (using an average archer build of 18 STR, 6 PS, and 1 1h wpf) deals an average of 10.5 damage.  Against heavy armour (60) it deals an average of 6 damage.  These are exactly the same average damages that the hammer deals in the same circumstances.  As I already said, against heavy armour the ESS would not be very strong, especially considering the hammer has knockdown and the ESS does not.

then you look at the other 0 slot weapons lenght, its a long dagger and hammer with an maximum of 55 reach and you want a weapon with 77 and dont call i op
or something like this. and even then its OP Compared to other 0 Slot weapons, just forget that 0slot thing
Weapons can be overpowered relative to their niche within a class, to the class in general, or to all weapons generally.  The ESS would have the best weapon stats of all the 0 slot weapons.  It would not, though, have very good stats compared to many other 1h weapons, and it would certainly not have very good stats compared to all other weapons taken as a whole.  The main condition for a weapon being among the best of a niche group is that it be really expensive, like the Plated Charger is for heavy cavalry or like the flamberge is for 2handers.  The ESS fits these criteria exactly.

the slot system is there so archer cant equip a flamberge and wreak havoc, if you want meelee you gotta take less arrows or a weaker bow.
The Egyptian Sickle Sword is far from being a flamberge.  To be effective the archer would (1) need to put points into PS, whereas the hammer doesn't need PS to knockdown (2) spend more money since the ESS is really bloody expensive... so I guess it's like the flamberge in that respect (3) use exceptional tactics since the ESS can't take down horses, the main hunters of archers, with even nearly the same ease as the flamberge.  The point of 0 slot weapons is to encourage archers not to run away and to make a more distinct and balanced class of "dedicated archer."  Strong at range, quick on foot, and weak in melee.  This is a far more balanced and sensible than strong at range, quick on foot, and helpless in melee.

This weapon is large enough to be considered a 1 slot weapon. The average kopesh was 20 to 24 inches, and is equal or just a few inches away from the size of an average medieval shortsword, which takes up 1 slot in itself.
That's interesting, and I hadn't thought of that.  When considering this do you think we should be looking at weight or size more?  The longest 0 slot weapon is 63 length and 1 weight and knockdown.  If the ESS were 0.3-0.5 weight, 75ish length, and had no knockdown would it balance?  As I said I'm new to the whole slot balancing system  :)

Offline Rogue_Eagle

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 08:24:37 am »
+1 for kopesh. I'm thinking it should be like the agi sword of choice.

Maybe make it light enough for massive stun if it gets hit by another weapon while blocking so it encourages avoiding hits rather than blocking style of play.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 03:26:28 am »
Please stop changing the stats from the original posted. I took careful consideration in the values depicted in order to create a solid fast and short uppermid tier cut weapon. It is far from OP considering the calibur of other sword in its class. I'm comparing to the nieudao, scottish, broad short sword, italian falcion, and gross messer to develop these numbers. If you want we can up difficulty to 9 which is comparable to all these swords. Compare the stats I gave to the sword listed and then come back and bitch with solid data.

Eqyptian Kopesh
100 speed
70length
32 cut
20 pierce
9 diff

Italian falcion
101speed
70length
34 cut
19 pierce
11 diff

If anything at all I should improve the Kopesh stats if were going to throw it into such a higher tier.
100 speed
77 length
33 cut
22 pierce
11 diff
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:30:24 am by Spa_geh_tea »

Offline Socrates

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Philosophy is a way of life
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ascended Order
  • Game nicks: Socrates
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 11:01:27 am »
Saw a documentary on this weapon, nasty stuff. +1 for it. Only if the shield dismantling was implemented with this weapon hehe.
The act of justice is not determined by the state.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login