Author Topic: help with my build -> secondary skill recommendations  (Read 888 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
help with my build -> secondary skill recommendations
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »
Let me know what you guys recommend.  I'm making a 18/21 poleaxe build, and i'm going to have 3 skill points left over.  I mostly play siege.  Right now the build looks like this, with the extra points put into power throw:
(click to show/hide)

So here's my options:
Keep the throwing - This is working ok on my current build.  I can soften up targets and I have a trick up my sleeve for when an archer thinks I can't reach em.

Take riding- I can take a rouncey for quick ladder deployment and can play as a crappy cav.

3 points in shield- can be useful for climbing ladders and can play shield/spear

Ironflesh/crossbow- I can take 6 extra hps, and perhaps put 90 wpf in crossbow

What do you guys think, and why?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: help with my build -> secondary skill recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:43 pm »
I say keep the throwing. It's a perfect ambush weapon especially since there are almost no throwers at all around. It also helps when you see mr.bigbad coming charging up the ladder or standing on top of it waiting and you want to soften him up first, especially if you have 3 ps and some wpf. You won't kill anyone but your gonna give yourself a huge advantage. It will also be good for battle when a horseman comes around and as you said. Archers who run away when you get close is really annoying and a wardart to the back is a great way to catch up with them :D. I remember before the patch when I was defending I always took 3 stones with me which I could chug down the ladder while waiting for them to get close. Funny how many people are afraid of throwers and slow down or even goes down again when you start flinching them. This was with 0 PT/1wpf btw.

3 Riding wont be any good at all and there's really no reason to use it if your playing siege.

The 3 points in shield might work very well for you. I have 3 shield with my current 18/18 cav and it has saved me more than once. But if you're gonna put them there then you might want to take one away from athl so you can have 4 shieldskill. Lots of nice shields then.

3 if is not that good btw. If you want IF then you should max it, at least that's my opinion. Better to have 3 shield and bring one with you. Altough you can take those old wpf in throwing and put them in xbow. 90wpf will let you hit things at a medium distance and when there are shieldwalls at long ranges you can most of the time manage to hit people behind the wall instead of hitting a shield or missing horribly as those with 1 wpf does. In siege the crossbow with 90 wpf is really good while your waiting for the enemy to climb, altough you can do the same with throwing as I've already said.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:59 pm »
Thank you!  I appreciate the perspective.

Anyone else?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:17:30 am »
I'd say 3 IF is a valid choice too, but 3 PT is really good for dealing with what usually annoys pure melee. Running/roofcamping archers often start to act crazy when they see you can throw junk at them. 3 IF if you often find yourself with heavy armor and a hard hitting weapon in the middle of a group of enemies.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:22:24 am »
The most fun for me would be riding, but it's really up to you. 3 points in anything are not terribly effective, so I'd try to get the most fun out of them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »
For the biggest power boost:
Take 1-2 points in Shield to get a decent board shield to hide behind for closing on archer camps, put the remaining 1-2 points in IF.

For the biggest fun/diversity boost:
Take 3 points of Riding to be able to double as a Rouncey Cav for a bit of variation.

Throwing in its current state is only really useful for the very rare occasion where you're chasing down an archer in an open field, which is really just more annoying than anything.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:55:23 pm by Elerion »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
Throwing in its current state is only really useful for the very rare occasion where you're chasing down an archer in an open field, which is really just more annoying than anything.

I disagree. It's not that uncommon to see rounds lost because archers escaped melees.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:46:59 pm »
For the biggest power boost:
Take 1-2 points in Shield to get a decent board shield to hide behind for closing on archer camps, put the remaining 1-2 points in IF.

For the biggest fun/diversity boost:
Take 3 points of Riding to be able to double as a Rouncey Cav for a bit of variation.

Good info, thanks.

Do you really think a 3 riding Rouncey cav is worth anything though?  I will consider the shield option.

Right now I have 5 PT and about 70wpf in throwing.  It is actually really useful for hitting guys in the chest with a heavy throwing axe..especially when they are coming up or down stairs (can't dodge as much).  2 axes will down someone if they are wounded or wearing light armor.  1 lucky shot to the head is nice too.  Whenever a 2h or polearm dude comes at me...axes fly!  Often miss tho...

I'm not sure if only 3 PT would be worth it though.  I could still soften guys up, but not sure of the damage diff between 3 and 5 PT.  Or if it would outweigh the benefits of having a shield, horse, xbow, or IF.   :P

Decisions decisions...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:48:17 pm by Garison »

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »
I just noticed you're mainly playing Siege. In that case, I'd drop the cavalry option, it's not very useful. Chasing archers is also much less relevant. For Siege, I'd either go with a Crossbow sidearm (best defensively) or the Shield (best offensively).

Possibly build this:
(click to show/hide)

Bring a crossbow when defending, and a shield when attacking.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:05:52 pm by Elerion »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:21:22 pm »
With 3 riding I don't think you'll be competitive as cav.
It's still certainly good enough to lance people in the back especially as you have polearm anyway and it can be useful to take a sumpter horse for fast transportation (backdoors or ladder carrier in siege). But I'd think out of all options shield is best.