Author Topic: A fair solution for small clans to survive in Strategus.  (Read 910 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
A fair solution for small clans to survive in Strategus.
« on: January 13, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »
+1
Make every clan able to select a "Capital Fief"

This fief will have some kind of bonus which makes it much easier to defend.

I.ex double or even triple amount of tickets and money for defensive battles.

Double is not really that much anyway, since larger clans will have many more fiefs, and  a much stronger economy.

It is of course possible to exploit such a feature by creating many strategus factions within one clan, but I do think the big clans have some kind of "Code of honour" preventing such abuse. In any case it would be only for defensive purposes and not possible to abuse for offense. To prevent abuse by big clans, one could i.ex implement a "transfer tax" of 20% unit/money loss when trading troops between factions.

Hopefully such a change would make the map look much more complex with many more factions, and hence more activity, and also add a new layer of strategic depth. An alliance of small factions could have a chance to at least defend against a big-clan assault.

What do you think?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
Re: A fair solution for small clans to survive in Strategus.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:52:53 pm »
+1
I've been thinking about trying to find a solution like this.  Not sure i really like this idea, but rather would like to see some more drastic changes to the way troops are recruited, maintained and equipped.  I was thinking that maybe an emphasis on player recruiting and working over fief production might be a way to do this.  Large clans will have many fiefs and can out resource the smaller ones pretty easily.  However, if recruitment was tied more to players, then a smaller clan could amass a decent force despite having much less in the way of fiefs.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:54:12 pm »
+1
Currently there is a capital system in place, it is just broken.  But it will limit the strength of large strategus empires once it starts working, since it is designed to reduce the effectiveness of fiefs based on distance from the capital.  Not to mention if you lose the capital, you lose everything.

Personally, I think your system would be somewhat exploitable.  Actually, I think it is very exploitable.  A small faction could be fed troops by a larger one, sieze a minor fief and suddenly make it enormous work to retake it.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:04:56 pm »
+1
Of course, but the small faction probably have to work for that service.

And it's a complex diplomatic overhead to do such things with many many clans. Also the larger faction don't control the loyalty of the small one etc..

I think it would be much more interesting though, and distance to the capital is also a good idea to prevent factions spreading over the map without sticking to 1 area. I don't think these ideas work against each other however.

And it would be simple to implement!

Of course one could have admins overseeing strategus, to make sure that a clan doesn't make DRZ1 faction DRZ2 faction etc. (Example clan chosen at random) xD Of course they would try to hide such abuse, but that would get complex, if all the members working somewhere is from 1 faction etc. DRZ would have to change the names of all their strategus chars to something else i.ex. There's always a chance that part of the clan breaks off..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:06:29 pm by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »
+1
I don't know, it would be better to give landless warbands other stuff to do. Why does everyone need a fief? Why make everyone a Lord who claims to be the Kingdom of XY?
It's like in Singleplayer, you got to work for your fiefs and don't get them for free, and if you try to establish your Kingdom there, you got much trouble ahead of you, too.

With Caravans some landless could try to become Caravan Guards, others could form bandit groups, trying to steal those caravans. Others form raiding parties, and raid unprotected villages and stuff like that. You are no "Lord" just because you name yourself one, you start as a vile beggar.

Some of my ideas about raids etc, making strategus singleplayer friendlier: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,149560.msg3597381.html#msg3597381

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:04 pm »
+1
I don't know, it would be better to give landless warbands other stuff to do. Why does everyone need a fief? Why make everyone a Lord who claims to be the Kingdom of XY?
It's like in Singleplayer, you got to work for your fiefs and don't get them for free, and if you try to establish your Kingdom there, you got much trouble ahead of you, too.

With Caravans some landless could try to become Caravan Guards, others could form bandit groups, trying to steal those caravans. Others form raiding parties, and raid unprotected villages and stuff like that. You are no "Lord" just because you name yourself one, you start as a vile beggar.

Some of my ideas about raids etc, making strategus singleplayer friendlier: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,149560.msg3597381.html#msg3597381

I like almost everything in that thread Leiknir, I really do.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:39:31 pm »
+1
+1 to the OP and Leiknir