Author Topic: New Player Suggestion  (Read 558 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
New Player Suggestion
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:33:08 am »
Scratch everything below.  Thryn informed me of some things that I didn't know.  Basically, the suggestion below are already in place in one form or another.

Last night I made a post that would benefit older players.  But I've been putting some thoughts to benefits to new players.

Please keep in mind... I have no clue when it comes to coding & scripting.  And I have no idea of the ability levels of the current dev team.  So I'm giving these tips with no real knowledge if any of the suggestions below could ever be achieved.

I have 3 suggestions.

Suggestion 1

Any newly created character start at level 20.  I mean character... not account.  So this could even help existing players who make new characters.  But this will also help new players who make an account.  When they create a player... it starts at level 20.  This will allow them to have some points to spend to give their build some shape.  And having a few points to spend... just maybe they can be halfway effective in combat.

Being a new player has enough challenges.  Starting as a peasant at level 1 with like 3 STR is brutal.  And while you can jump up to level 10 in no time... they'll just be constantly (and instantly) slaughtered their first few hours of gameplay.

Maybe this could help give new players some relief.  And while it also benefits old players that make new characters... there no negative to that.  And in truth, most existing players have established characters that have be retired several times.  They are not looking to make a new character that has doesn't have an XP or Gold bonus.  They are going to stay with their established characters and keep leveling them up.  With a free weekly respec... there's no need for existing players to want a new character... simply because it starts at level 20.

Mind you... once a character retires... they are back to level 1.  This would not change.  This suggestion would simply help new players when they first make a character.  They get a few points to spend to shape their build.  They may be a little more effective in combat.  And they are a little closer to level 35 and their first retire.  But after they retire... they are back to level 1.

Suggestion 2

New characters start with a little better weapons and armor.  I haven't started a new character in forever.  But if I remember correctly, you start with garbage peasant items.

Now I know they start with garbage because new users have only 3 STR and can't really use any items.  But my suggestion above will help that.  Of course, still give them the peasant stuff, in case they don't dispense their points.

And these items don't have to be amazing.  Just medium.  Something like the regular Sword (1-hand).  It has 9 difficulty.  New players at level 20 can afford to give 9 point to STR.  And almost any normal build will at least have that much STR.

For armor... something like the Gambeson that takes 9 difficulty (STR).  Maybe even a regular Round Cavalry Shield.  Even if they don't put point to shield... they can simply sale it for a few extra gold.  Maybe even a regular Spear and Two Handed Axe (both take 9 STR).

Again... these items won't be amazing... but it may help a decent amount.  At least give them a chance to survive and maybe even get a kill.  And give them something a little better to sale when they want to upgrade.

Suggestion 3

New accounts start with x2 experience for 7 days.  Again, not sure how this would/could be scripted.

This would only be for new accounts... not new characters.  So this won't benefit existing accounts/players in any way.

This can be something done along with or without Suggestion 1.  But if done with Suggestion 1, it would really help new players get to level 35 that must faster... and getting to their first loom that much faster.

This may help them feel a sense of accomplishment earlier in the game... and helping them have a more enjoyable experience... which will hopefully help keep them playing.

After 7 days, the x2 experience ends.  The amount they have played during this time is on them.  If they got in 2 or 3 retires during this time (which will be tough)... then more power to them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:49:10 pm by Mallets »

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
Re: New Player Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:50:06 am »
Last night I made a post that would benefit older players.  But I've been putting some thoughts to benefits to new players.

Please keep in mind... I have no clue when it comes to coding & scripting.  And I have no idea of the ability levels of the current dev team.  So I'm giving these tips with no real knowledge if any of the suggestions below could ever be achieved.

I have 3 suggestions.

Suggestion 1

Any newly created character start at level 20.  I mean character... not account.  So this could even help existing players who make new characters.  But this will also help new players who make an account.  When they create a player... it starts at level 20.  This will allow them to have some points to spend to give their build some shape.  And having a few points to spend... just maybe they can be halfway effective in combat.
All this does is reduce the grind time, and for no real reason at all. New players already start at 25, why should vets creating new characters start at 20? After all you get to level 25 in less than 10 minutes considering its triple xp at the moment. There is no real reason to reduce the grind, and one of the reasons to retire and increase gens is so that you can gain more xp per tick. There is no real point to doing this.

Being a new player has enough challenges.  Starting as a peasant at level 1 with like 3 STR is brutal.  And while you can jump up to level 10 in no time... they'll just be constantly (and instantly) slaughtered their first few hours of gameplay.
New players start at level 25. The majority of new players (imo) don't quit because of the grind, it's because the vast majority of remaining cRPG players are super experienced and literally outskill the newcomers.

Maybe this could help give new players some relief.  And while it also benefits old players that make new characters... there no negative to that.  And in truth, most existing players have established characters that have be retired several times.  They are not looking to make a new character that has doesn't have an XP or Gold bonus.  They are going to stay with their established characters and keep leveling them up.  With a free weekly respec... there's no need for existing players to want a new character... simply because it starts at level 20.
Still don't see a reason to implement this. Maybe for returning players? Seems just as nonsensical as giving veterans free level 20 characters. Additionally, you can have as many STFs as you want.

Mind you... once a character retires... they are back to level 1.  This would not change.  This suggestion would simply help new players when they first make a character.  They get a few points to spend to shape their build.  They may be a little more effective in combat.  And they are a little closer to level 35 and their first retire.  But after they retire... they are back to level 1.

Suggestion 2

New characters start with a little better weapons and armor.  I haven't started a new character in forever.  But if I remember correctly, you start with garbage peasant items.
New players get free masterworks. Veteran players who create new characters shouldn't be given items, otherwise they will sell them and collect the gold. I don't think this is a good idea.

Now I know they start with garbage because new users have only 3 STR and can't really use any items.  But my suggestion above will help that.  Of course, still give them the peasant stuff, in case they don't dispense their points.
New players start at level 25 with multiple free masterworks.

And these items don't have to be amazing.  Just medium.  Something like the regular Sword (1-hand).  It has 9 difficulty.  New players at level 20 can afford to give 9 point to STR.  And almost any normal build will at least have that much STR.

For armor... something like the Gambeson that takes 9 difficulty (STR).  Maybe even a regular Round Cavalry Shield.  Even if they don't put point to shield... they can simply sale it for a few extra gold.  Maybe even a regular Spear and Two Handed Axe (both take 9 STR).

Again... these items won't be amazing... but it may help a decent amount.  At least give them a chance to survive and maybe even get a kill.  And give them something a little better to sale when they want to upgrade.

Suggestion 3

New accounts start with x2 experience for 7 days.  Again, not sure how this would/could be scripted.
3x experience is already going, they start at level 25, no need for this to be implemented.

This would only be for new accounts... not new characters.  So this won't benefit existing accounts/players in any way.

This can be something done along with or without Suggestion 1.  But if done with Suggestion 1, it would really help new players get to level 35 that must faster... and getting to their first loom that much faster.

This may help them feel a sense of accomplishment earlier in the game... and helping them have a more enjoyable experience... which will hopefully help keep them playing.

After 7 days, the x2 experience ends.  The amount they have played during this time is on them.  If they got in 2 or 3 retires during this time (which will be tough)... then more power to them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:18:24 am »
+1
Well, shit!  I didn't know any of that!  I haven't created a character in probably 3 or 4 years.  Didn't realize that new characters start at level 25.  And that they all get a set of Masterwork Weapons.

As for the x2 bonus... I mean x2 to the current rate.  So they'd get x6 for a week.  But honestly, xp not really an issue.  Was just an idea to help newbies along.

Well hell... scrap all those suggestions then.  That was a waste of 30 minutes of typing.  I really didn't know knew characters start at 25.  Forgot about Masterwork.  And you can have as many STF characters as you want???

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:50:07 pm »
Well, shit!  I didn't know any of that!  I haven't created a character in probably 3 or 4 years.  Didn't realize that new characters start at level 25.  And that they all get a set of Masterwork Weapons.

As for the x2 bonus... I mean x2 to the current rate.  So they'd get x6 for a week.  But honestly, xp not really an issue.  Was just an idea to help newbies along.

Well hell... scrap all those suggestions then.  That was a waste of 30 minutes of typing.  I really didn't know knew characters start at 25.  Forgot about Masterwork.  And you can have as many STF characters as you want???

yes i have like 5 stfs lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 07:48:16 pm »
yes i have like 5 stfs lol

Man... there's been so many changes over the past few years since I've needed to create a character.  Oh well.  Scrap all those suggestions above!

And in truth... it's kind of disheartening then.  I really thought that giving new players a better starting off point would help keep them around.  But they already have a good starting point (level 25 and some +3 items).  So Thryn... as you mentioned... that's not what's keeping them away.

Dang... then I don't know how to help them.  If it's the steep learning curve... nothing can be done about it.  For me... the learning curve... and the challenge it presents... was a big part of the fun of cRPG.

If new players can't find that challenge fun... then there's really no hope... and this mod is simply not for them.