Poll

Trade in some speed for a decent thrust

Aye
12 (30%)
Naw
28 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Katana thrust  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Katana thrust
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:36:38 pm »
My suggestion is to trade in some speed for some decent Thrust damage.

I think a good way to look at it, is in comparison to the Bastard sword. Both swords aren't so different in terms of weight and length.

So if we were to give the Katana the same stats as the Bastard sword (35 cut, 21 pierce)
And then apply rule such as, the "Katana is a curved weapon, so it should have +2 cut" 37 cut
And the "Bastard sword is a straight weapon, so it should have + 2 pierce" 21 pierce

Then the Katana would have 37 cut 19 pierce
Bastard sword 35 cut 21 pierce

But right now it's +5 pierce to the Bastard sword.

I think 19 pierce for the Katana would be about right

My post from this thread
http://forum.meleegaming.com/realism-discussion/katana-extreme-%27based-on-reality-balance%27-fail/15/

My suggestion is to give the Katana the same speed as the Bastard Sword, as the weight and length of Katana and Bastard sword is not that different.
And in return, receive some decent Thrust damage.

Katana
weapon length: 95
weight: 1.2
difficulty: 9
speed rating: 99
Thrust damage: 19 pierce
swing damage: 37 cut

I'd much prefer the Katana, to be thought of as a Viable weapon, than a Cheap spamming weapon
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:59:54 pm by Ujio »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Re: Katana thrust
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:41:59 pm »
+1
Stop this katana balancing, reworking, buffing, nerfing, my old friendging.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:42:09 pm »
Remove the thrust entirely, give more weight (the Nodachi solution).
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »
+2
:/ I see this as a nerf since than why would I use a Katana ( Short Slashing Weapon) when I could use a Longsword/Bastard sword for the extra reach

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 02:18:55 am »
Yes, please Nerf all spammy high damage 2h (anything above 35cut).

Do it. Nike

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 02:58:06 am »
The problem is curved blades are great in warband just because of their hit box's. Some of them were fixed others not so much. Remember the native scim, you could hit your opponent with the air in front of the weapon and kill them.

The katana is a niche weapon and in reality would have been superseded by the long sword overnight if the quality of steel was available. The katana has a very low str requirement and very high speed in these respects it is a very good weapon. The long sword has reach and a decent stab it is fair as katana stabs would have bounced of even the poorest metal armour and could have even shattered on impact with plate or if caught in the armour and bent.

I know it is not a great resolution but style comes at a cost the cost is that you are stuck with a weapon suitable for high wpf and athletics builds.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 04:03:31 pm »
:/ I see this as a nerf since than why would I use a Katana ( Short Slashing Weapon) when I could use a Longsword/Bastard sword for the extra reach

That's a good point Muki. I suppose it would be down to personal preference. If you prefer the extra Cut, you'll go with the Katana. If you prefer the extra Pierce, you'll go with the Bastard sword. Plus aesthetic reasons like Japanese themed character, European themed character.

The problem is curved blades are great in warband just because of their hit box's. Some of them were fixed others not so much. Remember the native scim, you could hit your opponent with the air in front of the weapon and kill them.

Yeah but the Scimitar is a lot more curved that the Katana. I'm no expert, but I don't think the curvature of the Katana would make a big difference in the way you're meaning.

The katana is a niche weapon and in reality would have been superseded by the long sword overnight if the quality of steel was available. The katana has a very low str requirement and very high speed in these respects it is a very good weapon. The long sword has reach and a decent stab it is fair as katana stabs would have bounced of even the poorest metal armour and could have even shattered on impact with plate or if caught in the armour and bent.

As for this. Do you actually think a longsword would do better against Plate than a Katana? Do you think a Longsword could pierce plate, but a Katana couldn't?

Both swords would be shite against plate. Neither sword would pierce plate, because swords are crap against armor.
A Spear, heavy blunt trauma weapon (mace etc) and Bow would be the preferred weapons.

And shatter and bend? Gimme a break
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:14:13 pm by Ujio »

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:30:24 pm »
+1
katana thread again....

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:56:28 am »

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 03:20:06 pm »

Both swords would be shite against plate. Neither sword would pierce plate, because swords are crap against armor.
A Spear, heavy blunt trauma weapon (mace etc) and Bow would be the preferred weapons.

Long sword is desgned with stabbing in mind. It can actually stab through plate handily, provided the hit does not glance, (and it will glance most of the time, plate is desgined to make it so after all).

Katana on other hand is purely a slashing weapon, useless against any sort of plate armor. The reason it was useful was because japanese rarely used plate armor of any sort.

Perfectly plausible. Japanese smiths had to work their asses of f to make a blade of a quality comparable to european made sword. Not because they were bad smiths, but due to to the shortage of quality steel that was caused by the lack of natural resources and isolation from the rest of the world.

Most japanese swordsmen from 10th century to 16th century wielded swords of mediocre quality. The rest of them possesed high quality custom swords, that were of great make, but they were still forged from the same godawful steel. Those weapons were the ones that were the legendary heirlooms passed down to next generations. NOTE: that does not mean they were able to cut stones in half, just that they were solid weapons by european standarts...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:28:33 pm by Nightmare798 »
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 03:29:30 pm »
Nope, cos I saw a film once where a Samurai was really badass and his sword was like totally unbreakable, therefore all katanas forever are master-crafted unbreakable weapons.

The same way that every European Knight is the King of England.

We all saw THAT film once heskey. Odd thing I cant really remember what was it called.

Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 03:35:25 pm »
+2
Nice necro bump, 2k12, a good year for crpg.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 04:24:27 pm »
It's allready op enough. That tard weapon doesn't need more speed.