Poll

10pd, 139wpf, longbow+3, bodkins +3 vs 76 body armourtincan = 5% damage/body shot

Working as intended, move along
archery Dmg needs buff
Weight of quivers needs to be lowered
buff armour
Archer should lose ½ of remaining hp after each shot(minimum 1)

Author Topic: 10pd lb+3 bodkins+3 vs 76 body armour(stationary archer and target)  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: 10pd lb+3 bodkins+3 vs 76 body armour(stationary archer and target)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »
Well comparing ranged in chivalry to ranged in cRPG is kind of pointless. The main difference I would say is how fast you spawn and how arcadey the game is. Melee can sprint, drawing the bow takes longer and you move slower when you're drawing. That jump shot + damage is obscene though
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 10:56:21 pm »
Then why did you (as a whole item balance team) decide to provide less ammo?

I made a thread about making HA only arrows and 2 slot ammo with more total ammo so we wouldn't have to balance for 1 stack of arrows and 3 stacks of arrows at the same time. It eventually transformed into something different. The individual archer has mediocre kill power, but people tend to have problems with the amount of archers. My goal was to minimize having archers with 50+ arrows and reward concise shots vs. spamming. Most things in balance forums are compromises vs. having it exactly your way. This was when 15-30 and 18-27 were the go-to archer builds and they would take 2-3 stacks and kite. The idea was that agi archers may run out of ammo quickly, but they can move around the battlefield the quickest while retrieving more, while strength archers were supposed to be unlikely to run out anways while dealing good damage, but they couldn't kite at all and needed to be protected.

The thread was also made before the patch revival stuff was brought on us, where we had to change certain classes. It became a mix of a thread made for those standards (where I thought adjusting ammo would help vs just reducing damage) plus blanket changes to adjust for the patch revival level increases. Weapon speeds were going to be reduced by 1, too, but we were going to see how things turned out with the greater wpf penalty on agi builds.

Why does archery do next to no damage unless you're shooting heads?

You're dealing more damage than you think. 18-25 damage for most shots, but the average HP increased from 60 to 70 or so. That turns killing in 3 shots to 4. This is why keeping the power the same resulted in less relative power compared to before. You're definitely not dealing next to no damage, though, just closer to a 1h swing. Headshots are ~2.3x final damage. If you only would've dealt 25 damage otherwise, that's only 60ish damage, not enough to 1shot with the higher average HP.

Increasing the accuracy rating on the bows TYDEUS YOU FUCKWIT; you did like 3 gens of archer at this point and thought you were pro doesn't really matter much now does it? I've done gens upon gens of archery and the only thing that needed to be adjusted was the tears of the melee I'd shoot down in all their glorious rage QQ my old friendLORDS the ability to kite and HA prolonging rounds. No bow stats needed to be restructured and the arrows certainly didn't need fucked with again, especially after the almost complete negation of benefits when you heirloom them that has occurred. Do you have any idea how infuriating that is to someone who spends generations to MW an item and now it's total shit. Do it to the longsword (or any loom people use) and let's see what happens shall we?  Any how, none of this matters, as none of it will get reverted. Someone just needs to hit a giant reset button and take this back to 2010, when the mod was fun. Who cares how balanced it was, the bottom line is, IT WAS FUN.

Not sure what to make of this, but the longsword class weapons were nerfed, and Tydeus made the thread for that. I'm only from 2011, but I remember hating a ton of the mechanics, especially stun/stagger, knockdown, and glancing on good swings, but enjoyed the core game back then. Half the rounds were waiting in shield walls where your team slowly lost or behind hills, and a shot to your leg did almost all your health. It probably is going to be less fun for some since it demands more from the player than before, raising the skill floor a bit. I think adjusting limb damage (increasing body shot/head damage, decreasing limb damage) and buffing a few of the weakest bows by 1 dmg or so would help keep the raw vs. expected damage in check. I think that would make the best use of the increased accuracy. Low raw damage ends up being poor against everything (current Nomad Bow) and high raw damage would end up 2-shotting plate (what Longbow would've been if the damage wasn't reduced), but adjusting the final damage would be more manageable. It wasn't an option before because we believed changing those values didn't do anything (it may still be like that on official servers, but it worked fine when I created a test server, so I hope it works).

More dumb things killed you back then, so it was acceptable to be killed by other dumb things. Now, you need to hold to crush through, you can't get stagger locked by polearms/ranged, you can recover from knockdowns (though in a lulzy way), and you can nudge kicks, so those are many instant loss situations that can be prevented. The only decision I didn't like at all from the devs was probably the turn rate limit which only needed to be active during a jump. I also wish they could've done something more creative with lance angles, but that was far after they were doing large WSE changes.

The guy in Chivalry only has 20 ammo, and I'm not sure how rounds/mechanics work there with ammo retrieval. 20-26 seems to be the lowest for the average archer with ammo retrieval available for use. Seemed to have pinpoint accuracy, maneuverability, and kill in 1 or 2 shots. Is that what archers want in cRPG? (even less ammo, possibly remove ammo retrieval, but massively increase damage?)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:12:46 pm by San »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 11:12:55 pm »

The guy in Chivalry only has 20 ammo, and I'm not sure how rounds/mechanics work there with ammo retrieval. 20-26 seems to be the lowest for the average archer with ammo retrieval available for use. Seemed to have pinpoint accuracy, maneuverability, and kill in 1 or 2 shots. Is that what archers want in cRPG? (even less ammo, possibly remove ammo retrieval, but massively increase damage?)

Definately not, unless you massively increase the skill involved in landing a shot. Shit is easy compared to getting past someone's block in melee
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 397
  • Infamy: 1969
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:10:47 am »
Obvious issue are agi builds and high armor. That combination is both deadly and fast. Buff str builds but reduce overall armor rating by percentage so that low armor is less nerfed that heavy armor and medium armor.

Oh yeah, another thing. Don't forget to nerf throwing. It's silly strong compared to other ranged classes, actually compared to everything else.

Edit: Not all throwing. Just throwing lances (back to one ammo yo) and those low grade throwing weapons like knives and ninja stuff.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:25:11 am by Leshma »

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 01:02:05 am »
San,

The only reason the 15/30 and 18/27 archers became viable is because Tydeus adjusted the bow stats to make the lower bows actually useful. Tampering with a mechanic that didn't need to be adjusted. Then it all went downhill from there. It wasn't even the kiting that made those builds bad, it was the fact you could use a nomad bow with pin point accuracy, shoot faster than everyone, and then run like hell. The lower tier bows should be that. Lower. Tier. Bows. By adjusting the stats initially it basically borked archery as a whole and created a new meta. You know what it didn't fix? All the tears and cries for nerfs. Now archery is a joke. It's a terrible joke when you lose members of an already shrinking community and refuse to undo what has been done just to please a few but ruin it for an entire class. I also didn't mean for you to take the longsword thing seriously, I was being sarcastic to illustrate what many archers feel/felt like. Like I said we can talk and talk but words are just that. Words. I hope whatever you did on your test server sees the light of day and I'll give it another go but for now there are basically xbows and throwers. Some archery players here and there but the ones I've seen recently have been newer players.

Bronto
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:08:31 am by Bronto »